V2 - Vengeance From Above

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Some more excellent scratchery Allen, you really can't tell they're not actual kit parts

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks so much folks and believe it or not, still no rain, but the temps are a bit better. So,

Dude 2 - I thought so too and it was supposed to come between 0100 and 0200 this morning. Guess what? Nada, Nix, Nichts, Zip!!!

Stevie - I don't have a bench Bro. I have a table and it is a bit too big to fit in the fridge. With that in mind, I even tried an extreme method to keep on going, BUT The Redneck AC didn't work either...……..
th[8].jpg
(Don't try this at home as your electric bill will triple)

Mick - You are too kind Sir. The whole mess scratchy things will look better with a coat on them! If Greg's Cool Waves last, we might get more done. Hope you are well...

Greg - Thanks Brother, The Cool Waves have arrived and will last till Monday before we start sweating again with over 30°. Gotta get my butt building!!!

On a brighter note, I did get some resin tire sets for the 2 Hanomag SS-100s for the project. It appears that Takom's rubber mix for their tires can also eat the plastic rims they are mounted on (like the Italeri ones on my Horch). I don't need the Hanomags to end up looking like this.
IMG_1488.JPG
The resin sets are very nicely molded. I have one set with Continental's tread pattern and the other with Fulda's tread pattern and they look like this.
IMG_1487.JPG
The only bad news is you get 6 tires and not a spare tire in either set. No biggie, as I will use 2 tires out of the kits if I have to or make a tarp covering the spare tire on each kit.

Thanks again for the support and I hope everyone has a cool(er) weekend. More to follow for sure. Moggell on!!!

Prost
Allen

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Allen,
We’ve been having a bit of rain here today in the south of England....thought maybe a picture of a wet car park and dark rain clouds might help:tongue-out:....

74E4D3E6-72C4-4884-9833-C092ABF11E65.jpeg
Better now?
The resin tyres look sweet mate:thumb2:
Si

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Si,

Those clouds look straight up evil, but at least you've gotten rain. Here, Up north and in the south west, the folks are getting hammered with high winds, extreme rain and hail storms. We here in Franken have gotten nothing at all. It looks like it wants to, the wind kicks up for 3 minutes and then it says "enough" for now, maybe tomorrow...At least it is cooler and my fan gets a rest...All 3 sets of tires are very well done except for one spot on the front wheels of both sets. Shouldn't be a major prob though! Have a great weekend my friend…

Prost
Allen

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hey Rocketeers,

Guess what??? It actually got cooler without rain here and man can sit at the table and do something. So that's what I did and I have a little bit to show for it. It seems that every time I look at reference pictures I find something that has to be added into the mix. The battery storage cabinet has a box underneath the base of it. It looks like it might have a drawer in it too. So we whipped up a box that fits in it. We also added a few handles to the cabinet...
IMG_1490.JPG
I have found a probable solution to the 16 latches I need for the cabinet too. They will be in etch and I will definitely need a steady hand to get them mounted. I don't know if the nerves are up to it though. I then attached the correct tow pintle for this Steyr. The one in the kit is kinda funky and not usable here. I finished up and mounted the regulator thingy on it's base. Once it is set in place I can add the bolts holding it down. When it's in place, I can add the cables for it...
IMG_1491.JPG
Moving on to the rear of the Steyr, we needed the fold down steps for the removal of the spare cable reels in the trunk. Back to the etch stash and found a piece of floor plate for an SWS cargo version. I trimmed it up and cut it in half to make the steps. I CA'd them to some sheet stock and finished them off with Evergreen L strips. The little pieces are for the support rails on the side. While I was at it, I made the correct top bracket clamps for holding the 98K's in place between the front seats. This will be mounted to the frame for the cable reels...
IMG_1494.JPG
Then, after an hour of trying to get thin stretched sprue to stick with thick CA to the generator's spark plugs, I gave up! I got one to hold, but the other had a mind of its own. Just as I thought they held and I could bend them a little, one came loose. Trying to glue it back on, the sausage fingers pinged the other one off. After some very foul words in two languages I decide to go with plan B (which I should have done in the first place) and drilled out the spark plugs. Then I glued the sprue in the holes and they still look the part. I attempted to make the 4 supports for the roof piece over the switch cabinet. I had better luck French kissing rattlesnakes trying to bend 4 pieces of etch into a C and keep them all the same size. After finally succeeding, the etch was too big in size anyway. DOH!!! I also added the emergency shutdown switch on the side of the cabinet...
IMG_1493.JPG
The small etch parts, sitting in the roof, are being folded for use as tie downs on the rear of the Steyr for the canvas roof. With the cooler weather, at least I can keep going even though it looks like I'm getting nowhere. There are so many items to be made for this puppy. I'm still loving it to death even if the nerves are taking a beating! I wish you all a super week and Moggell on!!! Thanks for watching………..

Prost
Allen

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great to read that the temps have gone down for you too buddy.:thumb2:
Very nice looking wheels and the same goes for the latest add-ons.:smiling:
Have a great week too and how's the SMC deadline looking?

ps. don't rush it there is always a next year...:tongue-out3:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Mate,
The update was worth waiting for, some great scratchery this will be a thing of beauty when you have finished.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Well done for keeping this project rolling, your doing some lovely work getting this together...I’d of pulled my hair out with all the detailing!
Glad you’ve had a dip in the weather, it’s nice to have a warm summer rather than a wet one at least :smiling4:
Si

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Allen
A really great example of modelling. Skill, patience, research and bad language all rolled together to create a one off.
Jim

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Evening One And All,

Yup, it's me again with yet another little update! And on a Monday too. The world must be going to hell in a handbasket….

Thank you all for the kind comments and support. You can't believe how they motivate me to keep going and accomplish something. You folks are the best!!!

It is actually raining a little bit outside right now and it is the first rain we have had in weeks. Temps are also in the 20s once again and you can finally get a good nights sleep. Ok, we're not here for a weather report, so on to the project.

I went back and found some other pieces of etch the make the roof supports over the switch cabinet and bent these Babys. Did a test fit and they were also too high. Flattened out the one side and re-bent them again. This time they will do the job when it's time to put the roof on. I also finished bending up the tiedowns for the rear of the canvas top. There are only 4 of them...IMG_1495.JPG
If they don't work out (a few look kinda wonky) I have 35 more I can bend and use from the etch sheet from the SWS.

Once again. looking at my reference photos, I A found that something wasn't right with the storage locker on the right side below the body panels between the doors...
Steyr 2000A- 09.jpg
I built this up and it looked like this the first time...
IMG_1424 (2).JPG
Ok, so it looks like the part on the Steyr. A few days later, after looking at the references again, I removed it as it was too long and we made a new one...
IMG_1476 (2).JPG
Damn!!! As you can see, I made it too short the second time around. Tonight, while looking again at the photos I knew I had to correct it for the third time. Back to the underside once more...
IMG_1496.JPG
I should have this done tomorrow. The hole behind the spare wheel well is for the exhaust pipe from the generator. It has it's own muffler along side the muffler from the Steyr.
Short and sweet update and as long as the weather holds, I can get stuff done. Wednesday is a holiday here in the Fatherland so I'll have more time to play too! I thank you all once again and Fernando, I am going to have this done for the SMC and with a bit of luck, the pump trailer too my friend. Have a good one!!!

Prost
Allen

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
and as usual you grant us with some fantastic scratchery... niiiiiiiicee.... thanks Allen... MORE MORE MOOOOORE

D

Daniel Horvath

Allen your attention to detail is amazing truly remarkable work! What do you think how long will it take to complete the project? Regards Danny

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Can this build get any better! Really enjoying your updates mate. Glad to hear the weather is cooling a bit. Keep it comin mate

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Fellow Rocketeers,

Another small update is in order as yesterday was a holiday (Maria Himmelfahrt) here in the Fatherland. Today, I had a long drive all over southern Germany, so there was no table time as I am beat!!! So,

Greg - Thank you buddy as you keep me so motivated to keep going. I'm glad you like it...

Danny - Thanks and that is half of my problem. I see something new in the ref pictures and I have to add it. It's a disease I think. I hope to have this finished before you start your massive U boot project, fingers crossed!!!

Stevie - Thanks too my friend, but the weather took a turn and it is again hot as hell. Today it was just 36° C at 1530 with tomorrow being even warmer. Same holds true for the weekend too!!!

Yesterday I spent a lot of time at the table and again, it seems like you don't get anything done. For example, I remade the storage box under the right side and it finally looks right (I hope). I might redo the latches with etch as they look shabby in plastic. I then played with some etch chains for the caps on the back of the switch cabinet. I just need to trim, bend them and CA them in place. I also need to add the last oval plug on the bottom right of it...
IMG_1502.JPG
I then moved on to the battery storage cabinet and added the gage and a switch knob. Yea, it ain't a whole lot, but getting the gage circle drilled out and keeping it round was a real PITA!!! There is also a box(?) on the left side of the switch cabinet and attached to the right side of the battery cabinet too. It has a little roof on it and was made from part of a 38T fuel tank and sheet plastic...
IMG_1498.JPG
Sorry for the blurry pic folks. Last up was not as bad a I had thought it would be (so far). I made the base latches for the battery cabinet. According to my photos there were two (or more) slightly different cabinets. One had 16 latches and another cabinet shows only 14 latches. Seeing as I only had 14 pieces of etch for them, I went for the latter. Each piece is about 1.5mm big and needs to have 2 bends in it for the latch handle. Only one actually pinged off and after 10 minutes on the hands and knees, I found the little puppy under the table. They look like this...
IMG_1501.JPG
Dang, another blurry pic. I used the iPad and I guess it doesn't do macro so good. The little wing nut looking end goes on the door and the latch handles will be attached to the bent pieces. At least it should look pretty good in the end (yea, right)……..I just don't have enough of the same etch pieces to make the handles, but I have a master plan to do it. Here is how they look in reality...
Steyr 2000A- 01b.jpg
And here is what the little box on the 2 cabinets looks like. Just under the roof on the right side. As you can see, it has it's own little roof too...
Steyr 2000A- 08.jpg
That's all for now folks. The whole project is pretty straight forward as far as kits are concerned. With the resin wheels, the 2 Hanomags and the Italeri Opel blitz tankwagen are OOB builds. The Meillerwagen needs plumbing for brakes and fueling as well as resin tires which I'll get in October. The LOX trailer is pretty much OOB too as is the Opel T-Stoff tanker. This baby had to be scratched from almost the ground up, so I went with it first to get it out of my hair along with the pump trailer which is up next.
Ok, enough Blah-Blah for now. I do hope to get a lot further over the weekend. Please stay tuned to this station for more boring exciting updates. Have a great evening and stay cool everyone!!!

Prost
Allen

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good late Evening Fine Folks,

Driving on is the words of the day as the Steyr ain't gonna build itself. It is a tad cooler in our neck of the woods so,

Mick - Thanks for the vote of confidence Sir. If you thought the earlier scratchy was wild, take a look below and please send a care package to my room 113 in the ward. It's right next to JR and the other Rabble's rooms. Thanks again!!!

Ok, so I have built the storage box 3 times and glued all 5 chains for the covers on the switch cabinet. I went to bend and trim the etch chains and POW!!! I pinged three of them off. Luckily I had them in the tweezers so they didn't fly away. These 3 are done and I just have to add the 2 smaller ones. I also added the last oval socket on the lower right. I then stripped off the plastic shabby looking hinges and added 2 pieces of etch and the storage box looks 100% better in my eyes...
IMG_1506.JPG
I then moved on to the fun part of the whole thing. The making of the handles for the latches of the battery cabinet. I went back to the 35 leftover grab handles on the etch fret from the SWS. Nipped off 14 and let the games begin!!! Each one had to be folded in the middle and then glued to the latch bases. After a few hours and lots of blue words in the air, we arrived at this point...
IMG_1503.JPG
14 latches for the battery box!!! Yea, they are not 100% perfect, but they don't look too bad. Luckily, I only pinged 2 pieces off into the unknown out of the 6 or 7 that did fly out of the tweezers and they were not base pieces. Thank God for small favors as I only have 14 base pieces. They are tiny and did cost a few nerves though. I must be mad or insane and here's why...
IMG_1504.JPG
YUP, they tiny!!! I now just have to get them glued on the cabinet. Fun, fun, joy, joy and a whole lot of profanities are in order!!! Oh, and a steady hand would help too...

Sling lots of glue and paint around good people and I wish you all a super weekend!!! They might let me out of the rubber room for 20 minutes tomorrow. Fingers crossed…………....

Prost
Allen