V2 - Vengeance From Above

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Moved some tools off of it, Allen. Been busy w/brick patio & flagstone wall ordered by SWMBO (materials been laying about for 5/6 yrs). Alas, no Mexican funding/labor involved. Surprised I got the HEMTT tow truck done. PaulE

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I can understand that Paul. With a house there is always something that has to be done. You end up having to do it yourself as labor costs are out of this world today too. Over here, you can't get a hand worker at any price. You have to wait as they are booked for months. Want your bathroom tiled? You wait 6 - 9 months or do it yourself. I feel your pain buddy and you have to keep the better half happy...

I have to check out the HEMMT. Is it under a group build? I still can't keep up with all the topics and headers here...Take care and have a good over-the-hump day tomorrow!!!

Prost
Allen

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
The level of detail is brilliant, these are all going to be builds to be proud of. Love following this project.

Peter

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Allen, it's under 2018 GBs-wheeled trucks, Sept-Dec "M984 Trident conversion". First days work (3hrs-got above 95F so quit to man cave).
001.JPG

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
What crap are you talking about Allen?...excellent Bro...excellent. It's not going to be covered I hope...

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Allen, sorry for the late reply....
I think class 26 is the best for it too.
I'll be joining class 24 dio's.:smiling:

Great to see you're keeping the weathering low and nice set of wheels.:thumb2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Evening All From a Warm Bamberg,

Sorry, but this is not an update. Been working on the Steyr all day and when I wanted to take pictures, it was too dark. Time is running out and there is still so much to do. With that thought, I would like to apologize to all the fine folks on here whose builds I haven't commented on or those I have made sporatic comments on. I will try to be more attentive after next weekend. Please don't think I am being a snob or an elitist because of the contest at the SMC. No way in hell!!! I just want to enter a contest one time in my life and see what happens. Win, lose or draw, I can still get my Friuls cheap and finally meet the folks from Azimut (see the prob earlier here)...

I also get to meet up with Fernando N from Almere and have a great day! He's a good person and a fantastic modeller. With luck, A friend from Bischberg (also a great modeller) will be there on Saturday too. I hope that some more members are able to make the trip to Veldhoven. I will make a post tomorrow over the show. Anyway,

Peter - Thank you very much Sir! After I finish the Steyr, it should get a little easier until I get back to the Meillerwagen trailer. There is a lot of additions to make on it as there is no plumbing (brakes, fueling, air, etc.) at all...

Paul - Dang Moses Sir, it looks like you have a lot of work cut out for you. I hope the temps give you a break and you can get many things accomplished before the cold weather sets in. I still gotta check out your HEMMT my friend...

Richard - No way my man are we going to cover it up!!! It will be open for the whole world to see, warts and all. Thank you very much for checking in and I hope all is well with you and yours and the storms leave you alone...

Fernando - My friend, You never have to apologize. We are all so busy with work and upcoming events. You sticking your finger in light sockets and me driving on the wrong autobahn to Leipzig and then the SMC too!!! Thanks for the answer and class 26 it is...I hope to finish the wheels in the morning...

Pictures tomorrow and thank you for your understanding. Have a good Saturday and stay sober!!!

Prost
Allen

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Keep up the great work mate. We are all behind you. Competitions are all about the taking part and the buzz of the competition room. I am sure though you will be successful. Now stop typing and get modelling:smiling5:

First Name
Wouter
Hi Allen, can't make it to SMC this year but enjoy it mate. I loved the show many years ago. Though the comp is harsh. I entered comp there in the past and my award winning models (at Belgian shows) won zip at SMC :/ wasn't good for morale but luckily I carried on :D

Have one me I'd say :P

Cheers

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Well, I beat the snow, Allen. Highs went from 90s to 50s overnight last week so goterdone.
I beat the snow b.JPG
Not as level as I'd hoped after a couple days rain.
not as level as I'd hoped.JPG
Good luck at the show. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks like your 1:1 landscape was a success Paul. Lots of low rent housing for our feathered friends!:thumb2:
Rick H.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Evening Rocketeers,

Yea, I know I am a day late and a dollar short on the update. Hell, I will probably be late to my own funeral. I'm still trucking along with only a few days left. So without further ado,

Stevie - Thanks my good friend. I have never entered a comp before, so it will be something new for me. I'm still trying to finish the beast. I appreciate the support!!!

Wouter - Sorry to hear that Buddy. It would have been nice to meet you in person. As I said earlier, I don't care if I win, lose or draw in the comp. After Sunday, I can say that I was in a competition for once in my life. I am surprised that you didn't win anything as you have always built some fantastic models! Oh, and I will drink one for you too, that's for sure!!!

PaulE - Nice work there Sir and it's a shame that the rain messed you up a little. It still looks nice though and as long as the better half is happy, that means more cave time for you. I think you did a fantastic job and it looks like you have a really nice place there my friend. Thanks for the best wishes, I can only go with the flow and see what happens.

I am still trying to catch up with all the little details, how to attach them safely (without me pinging them off) and what is better attached when I go crazy with the hissy stick on the body. After that it is build up the innards and go……..

I built the two boxes according to the ref pics for the rear deck. I think they carried spare batteries for the back up system. I also set the etch spoke in the tires and CA'd the heck out of them so they won't come undone again. The one on the right still looks shabby, but it was the best I could make out of it.
IMG_1579.JPG
I then coated all the etch with Mr. Metal to prep it for paint and added the rear steps to help when unloading the cable reels from the trunk. The metal plates on top of the steps were also primed with MM.
IMG_1580.JPG
You can see how I had to mount the outside reels so they would clear the fender wells. I then moved onto the interior mount for the generator starter crank. There was no room on the driver's side of the real vehicle for it , so it was stored on the other side between the doors.
IMG_1581.JPG
After lots of small hairy stick work (not worth pics) on various parts and such, it was time to finish up the doors before painting. I measured out where the handles should go and messed up. I had to go back and do it again and this is how it came out. Modified stretched sprue was used for the handles...
IMG_1582.JPG
Under the handles, you can see where I screwed up with the guide holes from the first measurements. I have to add a dab of putty to fix them. No big deal!!!
I really want to paint the body on Wednesday at latest. It is going to be a close call. I hope to get a little weathering on it Thursday and Friday, it's off to the races show. No panic on the Titanic!!!

Thanks again for looking in and have a wonderful week Boys and Girls.

Prost
Allen

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Allen,
Wow the details are really cool taking this build to whole new level.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Allen,
Looking good, I suspect you do well under pressure so looks like things are right on schedule!
Don't forget to breath and all will come out peachy keen!:thumb2:
Cheers and good luck!
Rick H.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Thank you Allen for showing all those fantastic details... KEEP ON DOING what you do... we love it.... I love it.. :smiling5::smiling5::smiling6::smiling6:

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Great work on the detailing. How much longer have you to go or is the "What to do" list still a long one?:smiling2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Fellow Rocketeers,

Ok, the weekend is over and this is not a build update, but an update just the same...

Paul, Rick, Greg and Stevie, Thank you all for your support and encouragement and kind words. The pressure is over and yes, I did get lucky too.

Stevie, I am not sure if I will finish the Steyr right now. It is about 85% done and it's all little crap to finish. I think I will go back to the main project now and ease the brain cramps with Blitzes and Hanomag's OOB (except for resin tires).

I took the Steyr to Holland along with paint, pigments, tools, mat, parts and glues to try and finish it at the hotel. Fernando came over and saw that there was still a lot to do and suggested that I enter it as a WIP (Work In Progress). I wasn't going to enter it at all, but then he kept saying do it, you have nothing to lose. He was so right. After we came back from dinner, I started working on it, spot gluing the interior components in place and left the rest loose (generator, regulator and seats) . At around 23:00 while using the tweezers, I managed to bust off one of the clearance indicators on the bumper. Time for bed, but first I glued it back on to dry overnight...This how she stood at 23:30,
DSC03877.JPG
We got to the show and I had to register for the comp and after about an hour of registering it was off to the category 26 table. I picked out a spot and laid out the mat, placed the Steyr on it and began placing the pieces around it where the belonged. Fernando even took a pic of me at work. With no label or name plate or the like, I scribbled out a description on a post-it note and at the bottom I wrote Work In Progress. I stuck it on the right top corner and that was it. The Steyr looked like this,
DSC03878.JPG
DSC03879.JPG
DSC03880.JPG
We went around and bought some stuff at the vendors. A few hours later, we went back to see if our works were still there. The were, but had been moved by others to make room for their models. Luckily nothing was broken and I just had to put a few pieces back in their proper places. At 1500, they close the comp room for judging and you can't get back in until Sunday morning at 10:00....

I got there at 09:20 on Sunday with the hopes of slipping into the comp room (like last year) to take pictures. No way!!! It was guarded like Ft. Knox so I had a nice chat with Jaap from Reality in Scale. At 100:00, I met up with Fernando and we went in to see if we had gotten lucky. I walked up and saw the card on my mat. I couldn't believe it and stood there with a sort of dumb look on my face. Fernando congratulated me and I asked how he did...

Now this is where I think comps are flaky. Fernando's dio was utterly fantastic. His attention to the details and painting skills are impeccable with the use of resin and etch and all in 1/48 scale. I come there with a WIP and a 2 cent post-it note and get an award. He should have received it, not me. Don't get me wrong, I am happy as a pig in a poke that I got the award, but...…...I don't know. Ok, I think the judges didn't really know what the Steyr was and felt it was different maybe. They did look at it a bit as my display looked like this,
DSC03901.JPG
Kind of a mess afterwards…...

I would like to heartily thank everyone for the support and encouragement during this project. It still has a long way to go though. I would also like to thank a few people for their help;

Paul Scott - Thanks so much Buddy for the cable reels you sent and all the support too!!!

Fernando N - Thank you for the never-say-never attitude and pushing me to 'Just Do It', no matter what. You are the man!!! And the burgers at Woest are good too...…………...

John Race - Dude 2, When the times got tough and I was about to pack it in, your mails kept me going and always put a smile back on my face with your sense of humor and pics. For that I can never thank you enough!!! I could post your GQ photo though...…...

So fellow Rocketeers, This is for you all, not just me...………………………………….
DSC04147.JPG
Enough horn blowing, it's back to the table for me...……………….

Prost auf Euch
Allen

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Well done Allen and well deserved. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Congratulations Allen. I am so glad you made the effort to enter the competition. It is wonderful feeling to discover you have won an award. Great stuff.

Fernando's dio was also outstanding and its impossible to second guess what judges are looking for. For example in one of your photos showing best dio winner, I'm thinking why!!?? There are far better dios than that that should have won. In my experience though I do find judges like a lot of scratch building enhancements along with AM detailing to OOB builds.

I'm glad you both had a great time. The show looked totally awesome and I appreciate you both going to the trouble of posting the photos.