Vallejo Air alternative Thinner

L

Laurie

Linked to build http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/merlin-hc3-airfix-1-48-afganistan.19993/.

Hope (really hope and pray) to do some fine work with an airbrush. This is applying a mixture to represent sand clinging to the fuselage.

Vallejo Air thinners is generally the only thinner I would use.

But with fine work it is slightly thickish and for smaller nozzle/needle size .2 perhaps not perfect. Not perfect for me for this case in point as I have found out.

I am after a thinner, obviously compatible with Vallejo, which is thin. Water is no good as it has surface tension. Seen a number on here use alternatives.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Laurie

B

bluebottle

UMP (Ultimate ) recommend with their own thinner, Vallejo 15%..

D

dubster72

You could try a flow improver such as made by Windsor & Newton Laurie. I've

read that it helps, especially with Vallejo paints.

Perhaps it would be useful to know exactly what effect you're trying to achieve? A dusty look can be done in many ways, but with an airbrush I found it nigh-on impossible with acrylics. Only enamels seemed to work.

L

Laurie

Thanks Bluebottle and Patrick.

By coincidence Patrick I tried yesterday to get the flow improver but they had run out.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/community/threads/weathering-panel-lines-with-rivets-either-side.28218/ Partly to do with this article I ran. Found the best finish was with a .2 airbrush but even with copious thinning the brush blocked after 10 secs or so. To much and I got splatter. The Vallejo thinners is although a thinner quite thick. Place a drop on a hard surface and it leaves a residue. Ok for usual work but for .2 I have found difficulties.

Laurie

D

dubster72

As much as I fear going against all things concerning Vallejo & acrylics, I think you've hit the root problem of using acrylics Laurie!

In my experience, you just get the same level of fine work as you can with enamels. Although I'm sure there are plenty of examples to prove me wrong!

If I were you, I'd give up the idea of airbrushing the dust & look to using pastels and/or oil paints - thousands of armour modellers can't be wrong! ;)

L

Laurie

Coincidence again Patrick. Ordered some yesterday to have a go. Enamels that is with the least smelly thinners i could find.

Thank very much for the input. One thing I am sure of is that in experimenting, a lot, I have accumulated a great wealth of experience. Expertise I hope that is to come !

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
0.2 it rather fine for any form of paint.

Have you considered a larger nozzle/needle combo and spraying pigments.... I think I mentioned it before. I mix them with thinner and mat varnish. Have a play on a scrapper. You might be surprised.

Ian M

L

Laurie

Thanks Ian will have a go. Tried ,a bit, with pigments. I found though that the loose their colour when over coated with matt varnish.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I mix the pigments with thinner and varnish Laurie, So I have not varnished over it.

I found that you can spray quite close with it and get a nice soft line. Further away and you can get a nice fine 'all over dusting.' You can also build it up into quite a thick coat of mud as well which is rather good on armour.

Ian M