Vallejo gloss varnish for airbrushing

S

Stevekir

Just checking. I am having some difficulty with putting this through my AB, 0.4 mm nozzle, (it clogs randomly despite ultrasonic cleaning of the AB)) and wonder whether it is suitable for airbrushing:

Vallejo 17ml Gloss Varnish (193) 70.510

There doesn't seem to be any statement, and it doesn't contain the word "Air".

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Steve I tend to find that you need to thin it with airbrush thinner 72.216 at a ratio of almost 50:50, that seems to work for me otherwise it will clog the airbrush.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I agree about the thinning, I do it about 25% with Vallejo airbrush thinner, the new formula stuff. I blow it through at a slightly higher pressure too, about 25psi using a .4 needle.

S

Stevekir

Right! I will confine my practice runs to 50/50 and also 25% thinning, with Airbrush Thinner, at 25 PSI. If that is reliable, I will do the same with water.

A

AJay

Steve, I'm not a fan of this stuff as it never has a shine on my models........I must be doing something wrong.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Steve, I'm not a fan of this stuff as it never has a shine on my models........I must be doing something wrong.
Well, that's interesting. My experiments indicate that at least three coats, even more, will be needed to get a hard shine My objective is to get good decalling (no slivering) which is my only reason for going for gloss.

== Do you get decal silvering on your "non shiny" models?

== What do you use for a gloss? Pledge Klear? I tried that once and, as I remember, got a good shine, but I have heard that it does not protect a model from handling as well as varnish.

First Name
Adrian
Steve, I used to use klear with hit and miss results, sometimes it would take a couple of coats to get the shine needed, I used a gloss from the Microscale range with very poor results, so now I use Tamiya gloss spray cans. Normally one coat is all thats needed, once I've applied the decals I add another coat, weather the model then use Tamiya Flat clear to finish with. I've never applied decals to a falt surface as I'm sure this would still show the silvering.

Adrian

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ajay, your just not shaking it long enough. If you arm hasn't fallen off, you are not doing it long enough...

Ian M

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Ajay, your just not shaking it long enough. If you arm hasn't fallen off, you are not doing it long enough...Ian M
But I thought that thorough shaking was needed only for matt varnish, not on gloss. I mixed my Vallejo gloss quite a lot, but not until my arm fell off.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Steve, I used to use klear with hit and miss results, sometimes it would take a couple of coats to get the shine needed, I used a gloss from the Microscale range with very poor results, so now I use Tamiya gloss spray cans. Normally one coat is all thats needed, once I've applied the decals I add another coat, weather the model then use Tamiya Flat clear to finish with. I've never applied decals to a falt surface as I'm sure this would still show the silvering.Adrian
Here are two Tamiya varnishes:

Tamiya TS-13 Gloss Clear Acrylic Spray Paint - 85013 - £5.39

Tamiya TS-79 Clear Semi Gloss Acrylic Spray Paint - 85079 - £6.29

Is the Gloss Clear what you said you use?

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
Here are two Tamiya varnishes:Tamiya TS-13 Gloss Clear Acrylic Spray Paint - 85013 - £5.39

Tamiya TS-79 Clear Semi Gloss Acrylic Spray Paint - 85079 - £6.29

Is the Gloss Clear what you said you use?
TS-13 is ok, I do use the Humbrol Gloss 35 as well, its normally cheaper and its 150ml :smiling3:

TS-80 and TS-79 I use as well

Adrian

S

Stevekir

Thanks. I will try TS-13

In the past I have discounted spray cans as not being for serious modelling. At a recent meeting (as a visitor) to the model club at Wimbourne I saw an artic where the cab was painted yellow to an exceptionally glossy and perfect finish. I was surprised to be told that it was painted using a can of car spray paint!

A

AJay

Steve, I use Klear floor cleaner (I use a nice, wide brush especially for the application of the Klear) for my decals. It works well but you have to be careful not to get dust underneath the Klear. I always let the model dry underneath a Tupperware box (I prop the box open a little to let in some air to help drying). I usually add two or three layers of Klear before decals.

Ian, I'll remember to shake them more next time ;)

Last edited:
First Name
Adrian
\ said:
Thanks. I will try TS-13In the past I have discounted spray cans as not being for serious modelling. At a recent meeting (as a visitor) to the model club at Wimbourne I saw an artic where the cab was painted yellow to an exceptionally glossy and perfect finish. I was surprised to be told that it was painted using a can of car spray paint!
I think that was Marks truck, it got 1st place on the day if I recall, Mark and his brother always match car or truck colours using Halfords to get the exact match, I know some will say colours vary dependant on scale but most of the car builders I know do this and I cant knock the results I see at shows :smiling3: Feel free to pop along again this month it should be a good meeting as its our first group build of the year ( Barbarossa themed )

Adrian