Vallejo Model Air Psi

D

DP99

Hi, just got my new compressor and airbrush and am about to paint my revell westland wessex. I have some of the model air colours and wondered what psi I should spray at. On vallejos website it says 20-25 but that seems way to high.

Any help would be appreciated

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I tend to spray them generally about 15-20 psi with a 0.2 Evo.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I agree with Barry round the 15psi mark should be fine, but it also depends on your airbrush, Iwata work better at 15 which is what I use.

T

tecdes

I agree with John & Barry.

A lot depends on as both Barry & John mention the size of your needle nozzle. I generally keep up the pressure for .2 needle & lower for .4.

Also if you are thinning Model Air. I generally thin 25 to 40% depending on what I am airbushing. With the heat at the moment the paint goes off as it almost leaves the brush.

Best I found is to get some empty plastic bottles & practice on these for hours yes hours but it is well worth the trip. Use different settings to see the effect.

If your compressor is a tankless type I found with mine that the pressure gauge dropped from its idle position when I started using the brush & pumping air. Do not have the same with the new tank type I now have.

Laurie

W

wbk666

i think it depends in what your doing too.

I've been doing so free hand close detail work on a 1/72 kit and so that i dont get any "splat" or overspray i dropped the psi right down to 10.

normally i have it somewhere between 20 & 25 though.

T

Tony Maloan

15-20psi with an Aztek. I found that anything above 20psi causes the nozzle to block very quickly.