Vallejo not sticking to primer?

J

Jens Andrée

vallejo-waffen-ss-camox8.jpg

A few weeks ago I bought the Vallejo Waffen-SS Camouflage set because I wanted to try a paint that didn't dry as fast as my Tamiya XF paints and I've hit a problem.

It doesn't stick to my primers. First I used it on a couple of MasterBox figures that I'd primed with Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer (square glass bottle with grey cap) and it painted ok-ish but it didn't cover very well, but since it was my first attempt I soldiered on and prepared myself on doing a second layer when dried.
24 hours later I looked at the figures and I quickly discovered that the paint came off as I was handling the figures. It didn't just fall off but if you run your finger across the surface of the model some paint clearly comes off! I figured it was because it was a too thin layer of paint so I did a second layer, and let it dry for 24 hours.
Same story, and on all the figures and with all colours.

I took another figure and primed it with Tamiya XF-63 and 70% iso. This is my normal primer. (yes, I know this isn't a primer but normal paint, but the iso makes it really stick to the plastic).
Same story here, the paint scratches very easily. Not as much as with the Liquid Surface Primer but still.

Do you have to use a specific primer when you're using Vallejo model color paints?

I hope I don't have to varnish every time I've put some paint on a model because that's really going to make my figure painting a lengthy process...

What am I doing wrong?
My figures are cleaned with iso before painting so they aren't dirty.

First I thinned the paint with a few drops of plain water and that didn't work at all so all the painting has been done without any thinner at all. I'd like to add some thinner but I don't know what to use yet since water made the pigments in the paint to split.

I hope there's a simple answer because I like the paint apart from this problem and that I can wet mix the colours as I'm painting. :smiling3:

Many thanks in advance,
Jens

Rbaker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Also have to agree with Barry about Stynylrez have the Black,White,Grey and Yellow and have never had an issue normally leave it 24 hours to dry

J

Jens Andrée

I've not tested that primer. I think it goes under the name UMP here in Sweden. Ultimate Modelling Products.
The primer is just called "Ultimate Primer". That's supposedly Stynylrez according to "those who know".

When I read the label it sounded exactly like AMMO One Shot primer - which I HATE since it doesn't stick properly and it peels off if you're unlucky with masking tape, and let's not start talking about how badly it sprays unless you add a lot of thinner.

I do understand that solvent based acrylics are painted on solvent based primers, and water based acrylic paints are painted on dito primers.
I just like the fast drying time I get with my iso-thinned paints and primer but the reason for buying these Vallejo paints was for brush painting and thus a different primer is in order.

I'll try to get hold of a small bottle of UMP and give it a go!

Thanks for the help! :smiling3: