vallejo paint

A

Aurora

hi matt,

depends on what vallejo paint you use.

if you bought "model air" you mostly wont need to thin it. but dont put too much on Airbrush. couple of drops everytime and blow tap water through Airbrush when it starts blocking.

if you bought "model color" or "panzer aces" etc you need to thin it. 1(paint):5-6(thinner). you can use alcohol, tap water, vallejo thinner or even cologne :smiling3:

if you bought "game colour" i dont suggest to use it with airbrush but with thinning you can use.

vallejo paints are very dense paints. you need higher amount of thinner than tamiya etc. there is no certain ratio, it depends on colour and the condition of the paint but as general 1:5-6 should be ok.

0ne48thtel

Good question for me personally I don't have a ratio but the rule of thumb I think and I know I maybe corrected is it should be the consistency of milk.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
With Model Air you can spray unthinned with a .3 needle or larger but you do need to thin it a little if you use a smaller needle and I would not use a 0.15 at all.

A little drying retarder (Vallejo's own) might help reduce tip drying if you get an issue.

I would also suggest using Vallejo's own thinner rather than water and certainly do not use ipa or the Tamiya thinner as it will react with it.

J

John Rixon

I wish the retarder wasn't so thick in consistency, (unless I have a duff bottle mine comes out in a thick sausage, a bit like glue) it'd make a great thinner! I use water or flow enhancer, but you dont need much - and as Barry says, stay well clear of the Tamiya thinners with Vallejo!!!

now, I wonder if Tamiya retarder works with Vallejo? If it does, I'll report back...

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

As for meself, I use the Vallejo thinner when I have to thin, but have found that Model air works right out of the bottle. I have used the flow enhancer and it seemed to work well, but I am still experimenting.

One of these days (sooner than later) I am going to do an extensive video, or series on the Vallejo paints and what I have found along the way.

D

Deleted member 5496

Spike if you are using an airbrush your best paint is the Vallejo Model  Air which is specifically produced for airbrushes. Vallejo Model is best left for hand brushing although it will airbrush with a large amount of thinning plus with a .4 or .35 needle nozzle.

Vallejo recently brought out their Flow Improver which has made a heck of an improvement. Use this and you will reduce the blockages to a very minimum. I rarely get a blockage.

Also it is a great thinner I have used it 50% Flow Improver to 50% paint to produce my own washes. Works perfectly through a nozzle needle combination of .2.

For me I would rather thin to 15% to 20% and apply two coats rather than one thick. You will be able to apply the second coat, depending on conditions, after an hour or so.

Stewart