Vallejo RAF colours?

First Name
Dave
View attachment 108613

\ said:
Wey hey Dave. Nothing to do with enamels and acrylics what so ever. Just a joke about giving away paints which obviously fell flat on its face. :D Well I tried.
Never used enamels after the first 2 weeks years ago now so I have not a clue about them except the odour which gives me a headache. So not being sarcastic at all about enamels.

Laurie
No problem Laurie. We all have our preferences. Myself,I really don't have a favourite paint.I just buy what I can get hold of in my LHS. As you can see from the photo of my (untidy!) work bench, I use all sorts.The only draw back is I need to stock around 5 different thinners!.

image.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
View attachment 119280
The only draw back is I need to stock around 5 different thinners!.
Are the yellow labels Xtracolor? I used this for the first time recently and received dire warnings about using the branded thinners. Being me I just used white spirits, same as I do for Humbrol, Modelmaster, WEM and all other enamel paints and it worked fine. The results are on my Spitfire floatplane in the 1/24 SIG.

It's one of the positive aspects of enamel paints that a bottle of white spirits, from Wickes or similar, acts as a thinner and cleaner for every brand I've tried, despite what I've read and heard elsewhere. There is a tendency in the hobby to 'over think' problems which aren't really problems in the first place :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Are the yellow labels Xtracolor? I used this for the first time recently and received dire warnings about using the branded thinners. Being me I just used white spirits, same as I do for Humbrol, Modelmaster, WEM and all other enamel paints and it worked fine. The results are on my Spitfire floatplane in the 1/24 SIG.
It's one of the positive aspects of enamel paints that a bottle of white spirits, from Wickes or similar, acts as a thinner and cleaner for every brand I've tried, despite what I've read and heard elsewhere. There is a tendency in the hobby to 'over think' problems which aren't really problems in the first place :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve
Yes they are Xtracolour.Ive been using them for years with no problems.These days I thin them with white spirit.I used to use Humbrol thinners before I joined this forum and learned that white spirit is just as good.

D

danntheman

\ said:
Hi guys,
I've recently been using the Vallejo German RLM model air set on a Bf 109 build and got to say I really like the Vallejo paints for ease of use, plus the RLM labelling on the bottles saves me a lot of brain ache.

So following using the RLM set I've been having a look at the 16 bottle WW2 RAF British Aircraft colour set they produce (VAL71189), but before I buy it I'd like to know all the colours I'll need are in the kit, as I'm struggling to match some of Vallejos names to the RAF colour schemes.

Anyone using this set for their RAF builds?

Cheers, Colin.
a group called hataka do sets of paints for all countries in ww2, i bought mine from jadar hobby shop in poland, great service and not too expensive

PaulTRose

Survivor
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
a group called hataka do sets of paints for all countries in ww2, i bought mine from jadar hobby shop in poland, great service and not too expensive
i actually gave up trying to work out what Vallejo Air colours i needed for WW2 RAF..........came across the Hataka sets for early/late european theatre and the one for North Africa Theatre......everything i need for all WW2 RAF aircraft in 2 boxes....not tried them yet but will be doing soon

C

Cooperman69

Sounds interesting?

I don't know anything about these Hataka sets, are they new to the modelling scene? Bottles look similar to the dropper style Vallejo bottles which are so easy to use in the airbrush, I take it Vallejo thinners, cleaner, retarder may work with these paints?

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Hi Colin

I came across the hatakas at the same time I come across the Vallejo model air but went for the raf day fighter 8 pack vallejos instead. I think the best way is to buy the 8 packs then add to them because it depends what plane at what time your doing for a WWII raf plane I suppose, some of the raf colours were a tad confusing as well and I mixed mine at times to get the required colour.

Saying this when I recently looked at the next three Luftwaffe models models I'm going to build in certain schemes I realised that a pack of vallejos would really cut the mustard so I opted to buy them separately. I had trouble finding the rlm 81 brown violet so purchased that particular paint by hataka.

I had a little go with it the hataka the other night and thinned with Vallejo thinner it sprayed with no noticeable difference.

I have used Daler Rowney flow enhancer with Vallejo model air also to good effect.

Cheers

Phil

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Hi Laurie
I never really used Vallejo paints before joining here as I stuck with revel acrylics after binning nearly 100 humbrol enamels as I progressed to ab. Only thing was I found revel acrylics clogged my ab a lot and went to brush ( love my brushes )

Then I went onto tamiya and can say a better finish!!

Vallejo was a little out my price range but then ding the light came on!!! I bought a 1 off set of dark yellow for a tank I was painting, and I was surprised at the finish. Then I joined here and I saw from pictures/ reference and what all you modellers say on Vallejo and model air products and life colour my stash of paints is growing.

( I see some studios on here with all the Vallejo range ( I wish I had the lot!!!

The sets that Vallejo now do are really helpful in painting the correct colours giving you more confidence on the finished result ( money making exercise there me thinks? ( however I still sometimes mix my own shades)

Recently I purchased the waffen ss set of paints from Vallejo and the panzer late war set. They have helped immensely to my projects.

Not got the RAF set yet but I'm thinking on it

Kind regards

Robert
Try out vallejo for brush painting, And Gunze acrylics for airbrushing if you airbrush. They are amazing paints in their field, and work really well

John