Venerable Revell 1/76 Lightning F6

B

Bari

Next I had a go at scribing, Picking something easy (not many lines and mostly straight ones) I did one of the tailplanes. One picture is with a slosh of primer on it and the other is bare plastic. The tailplane with sprue attached is the one with the raised panel lines. Now having seen them together I'm unsure whether to carry and try to do the rest or leave it as Revell intended. Any comments would be welcome.

View attachment 47992

View attachment 47993

Ltng5.jpg

Ltng6.jpg

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Havent done alot of rescribing as it is not the easiest of tasks to get right. The important thing is to get your first line absolutely straight or the rescriber will just keep going wrong. I think I would persevere with it as the raised panel lines dont look quite right. The good thing is if you dont get the lines right first time you can quickly just fill them in and try again until you get it right. Good luck with this one.

First Name
Dave
Ive rescribed several models and definately think its worth doing.If you are finding it frustrating it might be an idea to do it along side another model.In other words, do a bit until youve had enough then carry on with the other model.i looked forward to seeing your build progress.

B

Bari

Back with a little bit more, have done the tailplanes and port fuselage, although some of the lines are a bit grand canyon. Still we'll see what they are like when primed.

Photo of progress so far. top fuselage half is yet to be done, at the bottom is my new flexible friend, with some masking tape on the back so it doesn't slip it is just right for the curvature of the body. Only 99p from W.H. Smiths. It is a tedious job though but not to bad as I just do half an hour every now and then.

View attachment 48076

IMG_0641a.jpg

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Keep at it Barry. Its looking good and that looks like a good bit of kit. Might get one myself.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I haven't yet attempted rescribing, so watching this with interest. Your efforts so far look good, and I agree that flexi-ruler looks like a great idea.

B

Bari

Back again, i have spent the day pottering about and doing the odd bit of scribing. I find it quite therapeutic which from what I have read about the dark art is a bit strange, perhaps I need therapy. I have now finished scribing and just have a few (lot) of little mistakes to fill in. A few photo's attached.

View attachment 48116

View attachment 48117

View attachment 48118

IMG_0645a.jpg

IMG_0648a.jpg

IMG_0649a.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Glad to hear you stuck with the re-scribing Barry. I've only done one model completley, but the effort pays off come painting and panel wash time.

G

Gren

Looking good with the re-scribing.never tryed to do any scribing,but seeing yours I will have to give it a go sometime. Will keep on eye on this one.

B

Bari

Many thanks for the nice replies. Haven't done much lately as I have been away for a week. I found that rather than sand everything off and then scribe I scribed using the raised lines as guides which seemed to work ok then sanded and buffed everything. Slow easy and gentle is the way to go. I am now trying to do a bit of cockpit detail as its a bit bare in there.

B

Bari

Added a bit of detail to the u/c bays and landing gear, but have to put it on hold now as I'm off to Toronto and New York after the weekend and am now in a frenzy fo packing and unpacking to try and make the luggage weight, although I seem to only have a small part of one suitcase to sort out...

View attachment 48760

View attachment 48761

IMG_0687a.jpg

IMG_0685a.jpg

B

Bari

Hi, Back again after a lovely visit to the colonies, managed to avoid the jet lag by coming back on Queen Mary 2, a week of waiter service, magic. However I digress, a bit of primer and more sanding and filler to erase the mistakes, but the scribing looks a lot like the grand canyon in places. Maybe a bit enthusiastic with the scriber. Still it looks a bit better with a bit of primer on and the dry fit isn't to bad.

View attachment 50003

View attachment 50004

View attachment 50005

View attachment 50006

View attachment 50007

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Barry Did you remember to put some weight in the front end. Looking good mate.

Steve

B

Bari

Thanks, yes I put the weight in, the instructions said 5gms so put 10 in to be on the safe side.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Looking great Barry, I've had a go at doing bits, bit I don't think I'd want to rescribe an entire aircraft !!

I found it theaputic too, but only when I got it right, otherwise it was hair pulling time.

Keep up the good work.

Tony.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So it's an old kit (raised lines) and it's a Revell. Does anyone know if this kit was originally made by someone else ?

B

Bari

Sorry I don't know if its a rebox. I have ploughed on and done a bit more. For some reason I have got into a cycle of remodeling things ( I am sure I could give it up anytime I wanted to) I have managed to do the flash suppressors for the guns (a bit of single strand electric wire wound around the end of a needle. and given it a more realistic hook. I have also trimmed the end of the redtops and put a bit of clear rod on the end. Also have started to try to paint the seat but its very small and fiddly. Had to make two grab handles for it as there were none modelled. Made them by winding a strand of wire around cocktail sticks stuck into styrofoam, you can use the taper of the point to vary the size of handle. Took me several goes to paint them though. Anyway some more pics

View attachment 50389

View attachment 50390

View attachment 50391

View attachment 50392

View attachment 50393

View attachment 50394

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0929a.jpg

IMG_0933a.jpg

IMG_0934a.jpg

IMG_0935a.jpg

IMG_0936a.jpg