Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great job so far.

I know its a bit late, but a good way of doing the grabs for the bang seat is with theads. One black one Yellow. Nylon tread should be better than normal cotton thread. Tie one of each together and place hook between them to hold them. Another hook in HAND drill and twist them up. Holding the twisted threads tight, give it a going over with super glue and let dry. Should see you right for grab handles for a good while. And you dont have to paint them!!!

Ian M

PS sorry but were Red Tops not pointed?

B

Bari

Thanks for the tip, sounds much easier than my method as I tried to paint the black stripes in various ways and ended up with a single strand of wire taped to a bit of sprue. As to red tops I was going from memory but have hunted down the Hawker Siddley Red top and come up with this picture.

View attachment 50415

800px-Hawker_Siddeley_Red_Top_missile.jpg

W

wanna_be_aviator

I had a go at rescribing panel lines couple of months ago. It was a Heller Skyraider, a 30 years old kit (haven't posted the pics yet), raised panel lines (of course) and millions of huge rivets. Had to do away with all that, it was fun. Which makes me think that your Revell kit might be a Heller rebox, cause I have exactly the same pilot figure on my model! It also had the same silver plastic and moulding style. Your rescribing has come out good and I'm sure the end result i'll be top marks. Great job on the scratchbuilt parts!

cheers

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good barry , great scratching on the flash guards. In response to colins question regarding the origins of this kit , if i remember correctly its the frog mould, re-issued by hasegawa , then passed to revell ,still going strong though!!! cheers tony

B

Bari

Hi, back again after a couple of weeks holiday followed by the grandchildren for a couple of weeks. I need another holiday now. I have done some preliminary painting (twice, I had a lot of runs with the first coat and had to start again. You can see where I have knocked the ventral fins off (twice) so they will stay off until the end. The colours are supposed to be of XS928 11 sqn but they seem to be dark to me, but they are on now so will be staying. There is a small dark spot on the port wing which has bled through the paint although I sanded back to bare plastic for the second paint job, I'm not sure what has caused it, whether its a defect with the plastic or something I've done. As you can see the scribing is a bit trench like in places but I'm sure the next one might be better.....

View attachment 52163

View attachment 52164

View attachment 52165

View attachment 52166

View attachment 52167

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1488a.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1486a.jpg

IMG_1485a.jpg

First Name
Dave
Looking good Bari.I made this kit in my early teens (a long time ago!) when it was kitted by Frog.Cant remember much about it though.Your scribing has come out ok.A lot better than the old raised detail.As you say, you will get better at it with more practise.

B

Bari

Just about finished, well it will be as soon as I find the missiles which I have put in a safe place.... This has had several firsts for me, the scribing which when you look at the photo's is a bit over done. This is my second attempt at airbrushing (third really as I made such a hash of the first spraying of this with runs all over the place). I also made some jet pipe nozzles out of paper to give a little better definition to the rear, I did try with the intake but no matter how I fiddled with it it didn't look realistic at all. I also put a little bit of cockpit detail in and a resin seat (not the right one but I had this one given to me). I also did some foil work ( the two panels under the wing which turned out to be easier that I thought it would be. Also after great fiddling and much cursing managed to get just the right sized sliver of Q tip tube to make the lip around the rear port vent and it took quite a while to get the two aerials on the spine in position. Learnt a lot with this one. Oh just noticed the canopy is not on straight, how on earth didn't I see that when I did it? I also had trouble with the wing decals which behaved like limp spaghetti so in the end masked up and painted the lines but not that well. And another thing after painting the canopy I noticed that there was a smear of blue tac on the inner surface so without any thought at all gave it a rub with a white spirit loaded cotton tip. Although the canopy was coated with klear it fogged up instantly and it took ages of rubbing down, polishing and klear dipping to get it to a reasonable level of transparancy but its still not brilliant.

View attachment 52382

View attachment 52383

View attachment 52384

View attachment 52385

View attachment 52386

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1492a.jpg

IMG_1496a.jpg

IMG_1497a.jpg

IMG_1498a.jpg

Last edited:
K

Kressy13

This is a great looking lightning mate, top job on the rescribing too. Top stuff.

B

Bari

Thanks for the nice comments, i have just realised I haven't put the pitot tube on or the refuelling probe, oops.

B

Bari

Ok, have now put the canopy on straight and posted a few further pics which I have for some reason put in the Planes section instead of Aircraft pictures.....