Verlinden 120mm German Knight

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_2213.JPG

I've had to have a change of plan and give up on the 1/35 vignettes I was planning. The problem is that my eyes can no longer take the strain of working on the smaller scales - the resulting splitting headache and blurry vision I'll take as a warning.

I've had this one for a while and seem to have been avoiding it for some reason, so I thought now was the time to take the plunge. The subject appears to have been drinking and about to start a fight - ''You will apologise sir!''

The sculpting and casting are the usual Verlinden top quality:

100_2214.JPG

The chain is to attach his various accoutrements to his armour, (a bit like having gloves sewn to a piece of elastic when we were kids). It's made of copper, and I'm trying to decide whether the natural colour will do - I don't have an airbrush, and I'm loathe to brush paint it and risk clogging. I've already been through my wife's and daughter's jewellery boxes looking for a gold or silver alternative (no luck) so I may have to have a shopping trip.

The build was a bit tricky as the arms didn't fit very well. I decided to cover the gap by extending the protruding leather under-jerkin over the join with metal foil. I also broke the handle of the flagon, so had to replace it with a piece of brass.

Anyway, he's ready for painting.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Sorry to hear the 1:35 was a "real" pain.
Shame as it was a promising start.
The Knight's pose does seem "odd" but at least it's bigger.
Nice fix on the sleeves too.
Look forward to your getting some paint on the metalwork
Regards
Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - lots of different textures and colours here. Should be nice to do.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Have you tried an optivisor or magnifying glass? It sorted out my headaches and vision issues

Looking forward to seeing the knight come together. Good luck

Steve

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve.

I have Anisometropia, which is where there is a difference in the refractive power between each eye - my left is far, far worse than my right. I have glasses for long vision, which are OK, but those for near vision have to be set for specific distances, eg for reading. My optician said that the only way I could use an optivisor is with glasses tailored to suit the specific focus I'd use them at - to change focus I'd need a new pair of glasses each time. As it is, I work up close, without glasses, then can only see my work with glasses at reading distance or beyond arm's length. The only time I really get to see my work normally is in the photos. A real pain (also have Floaters, bits of detached vitreous gel moving across my line of vision, and the start of cataracts - hooray!).

I don't think I'll be able to keep on modelling forever, so I'm trying to make hay while the sun shines.

Well, you asked! (Sorry for the long reply).

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Dont apologise mate. With the issues you have outlined it reinforces what a fantastic artist you really are. Lets hope there is plenty more hay making to come:smiling:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
No gold chains in the wife or daughter's jewellery boxes! - shame on you. I imagined an old romantic like you would have been a regular purchaser of same, birthdays, Christmas, Mother's Day, wedding anniversary etc.
Shame about 1/35 but this is a hobby - not worth feeling ill over. I like this figure. There is an abundance of opportunity for you to paint so many varying textures.
Jim

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Thanks for sharing Peter.
it is good for all your new followers to gain that full appreciation of how good your work is,with the hurdles you jump to get to the finish line.
Going hell for leather whilst you can is not something to worry about but to embrace and reveille in the madness and love the moments.
Hope you have a good day tomorrow,
Catching up on the bus on the way home, lightens the journey out of central Leeds
Regards
Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

It's no big deal chaps, just one of those things about getting older. I only explained because the subject of optivisors comes up every so often

Jim, I'm an earring man, so the wife doesn't miss out (and I cooked her a delicious Thai curry this evening, which is far better than any piece of jewellery in my opinion). She's snoring on the sofa at the moment, which I take as a sign of contentment.

Brushes arrived today, so I can get on. The shield is crying out for a Germanic eagle, so I've been looking at reference.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking forward to seeing this one,Peter,even with what ,you have outlined should be a work of art,:smiling::thumb2:

F

Fenlander

Quite a strange looking figure, be interesting to see it come to life. Really missing my bench now, back from holiday to a wild garden that needs sorting before we drive north for a few days to a wedding. I have a feeling the planned decorating will be starting when we get back so it will be some time before I get back to it so keep me inspired with your updates lol :flushed:

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Did think at the time that I would be a long shot for you to attempt 1/35 again . Still better to leave an not have the associated problems with the strain .
Think we should point out to Jim that it's Cpl Jones who used to make off with Mrs Jones chains.
Will take my normal seat please..
John .

D

Deleted member 6559

Monica - I'll give it my best shot.
Graham - The summer eh? Holidays, gardens, weddings.....
John - How you do it with your eye problems I don't know. The wife and daughters did have some chains, but they all turned out to be copper-based, or so old that the silvering had worn off. Useless!

OK, here's stage two:

100_2215.JPG100_2216.JPG

I don't normally like attached heads, but in this case it was fairly easy to get at. The metalwork is done by dry-brushing various mixes of silver and black over a black base, getting lighter as it went along and ending up with pure silver on the highlights (Vallejo Model Colour Silver), The beading on the helmet was picked out with Old Gold.

I think the box artist (FV himself?) has made a mistake painting the armour on the forearms as steel. These are clearly part of the same garment as the skirts, so I've painted them as red leather (I'm going to reverse the colours used on the box).

A

Armorguy

Peter, thanks for the useful explanation on the metalwork, it looks, as usual, breathtaking.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice Peter.
That dry brushing really sets it off.
The only way I cope with 1/35 figures is wearing those glasses with a 2. 5 lens, and then I have to keep the left covered and only do a stint of about 1 hr.
John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks, nicely put Peter.
Others have said mad !
You know me I will not give in if I can help it !
John.

First Name
Wouter
Hi Peter, nice work on the metal indeed. Looking good. I guess when you read my post you have the figure almost finished ey ^^

Cheers

D

Deleted member 6559

Well John, whatever you are, I'm full of admiration.
Wouter - I'm trying to slow down.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter...Dang it ..I was so looking forward to the 1/35 vignettes. Better less pain for the eyes than trying to be hero.

The face and helmet are as amazing as ever. One little thing I would have done was to paint the pupils looking down or towards the tip of the sword as the wierd Verlinden figure pose suggests that he might be knighting someone.
Just as Wouter said I bet the figure is already on a finished base as you read this. :smiling6: You "Speedy Gonzales".

Cheers,
Richard