Verlinden 120mm German Knight

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Yeah, sorry Richard.

Re the eyes on this chap - Yes, I see what you mean. I've had a look at the face and the problem is that the eye apertures are deep set and face a specific direction, so it would be hard to change them. Perhaps he's taking an oath, rather than pointing with his sword?

Here's the latest:

100_2220.JPG100_2223.JPG

That's the main part of the figure done.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Peter great work with the armour I hate using silver but you've done a brilliant with it.:thumb2:
Pete.

D

Deleted member 6559

Pete - It took me a long time to get to grips with metallics. I settled on Vallejo Model Colour, which behave the same as the rest of the range. Good for dry-brushing.

Guy - Thanks. Trying to decide on the shield. I feel it should have some green on it and perhaps an eagle?

F

Fenlander

I love how you achieve a really solid colour Peter, just oozes quality.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Graham - I just use it straight out of the bottle.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Very nice Peter

The colour change was the right decision too

Your reproduction looks much more realistic than the box art and the arms look right as leather rather than steel

Another masterclass in painting

Regards

Steve H

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Peter I'm a bit late coming in on this one, but glad I stopped by. Some very nice work indeed, as the other guy's have said a true master at work.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Coming on nicely. I am not sure what the pose represents. I rather think your idea of 'taking an oath' fits well.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks people. May actually take a day off today and go shopping for modelling supplier. Ooh, er.....

Funnily enough, I've just been reading 'The Green Knight' by Iris Murdoch....

D

Deleted member 6559

Da, Dah!

100_2224.JPG

Gold and silver effect girly friendship necklaces from Claire's. Plenty there for £9.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Knights coming along nicely Peter.I have never painted armour in my life mate.You havent been through my jewellery box after my trinkets!!.My real names ifan but me friends all can be fanny hehe.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Shhh, Richard - I'm pretending I bought them!

Decided to do just a little bit today - the sword scabbard and dagger:

100_2226.JPG100_2227.JPG

The kit dagger wasn't painting up very well, so I swapped it for another Verlinden example from the spares box.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter .
Nice shopping haul !
Mr Knight looking smart I like the contrast between the green ,red and the dry brushing silver.
John .

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Nice catch with the chains Peter

Who will be your BFF:cool:

Very nice work on the dagger, it looks just right

Nearly there, will you use the base it came with?

Looks a bit like a tavern fight scene!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers John

Steve - My BFF:
100_2229.JPG
This is Joe, wonder dog.

I tried the new chains, but they looked far too bright. With no way of dulling them down, I decided to try the kit chain:
100_2228.JPG
I think it looks fine after all that fuss (and the humiliation of having to go into Claire's).

I may try a new arrangement of having him hold the flagon, giving a toast. Smaller base I think.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
You are changing a few things as you go. Your attention to detail is admirable. Great to see the progress

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks Steve.

He's finished:

100_2240.JPG100_2242.JPG100_2236.JPG100_2235.JPG

The idea of having him holding the tankard did't work out (I ruined it), so I went with the sword option after all.

The box art has the shield on his back, so I removed the moulded straps and made new ones so that he could hold it instead. The shield decoration is taken from a German C14th armorial roll (the finish is slightly more weathered than shown, but my camera has bleached out the detail).

The chains were a lot easier to do than I'd thought they would be. All were easily cut with nail clippers and all stuck the first time - a miracle.

With no tankard, I decided to dig a spare Verlinden helmet out for adding to the base, which is smaller than the one provided.

Not a great finish, but good fun to do nevertheless.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi peter
Beautifully painted. Very colourful. Still can't quite figure out what he is doing in that pose. Ceremonial stance of some sort?
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks Jim.

I think he's swearing an oath or issuing a challenge - something like that, or 'I can see my house from here.'