Verlinden 200mm Samurai Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_3096.JPG

I first had a go at this bust about a year and a half ago, but for some reason it didn't stand the test of time and ended up being binned. As Historex are selling their range of Verlinden busts for under £20 each, I thought it wouldn't be too extravagant to have another go.

The kit comes in four parts, including the plinth:

100_3084.JPG

The usual almost perfect casting, and excellent detail on the various parts.

I decided to start with the head, and that's when I realised why I'd been iffy about the last one. Basically, it's not a great sculpt and after giving up on my first attempt to paint it I scraped it down and took a scalpel to the eyes, the parts in particular that were giving me a problem ( the box artist had obviously had problems there too):

100_3094.JPG100_3095.JPG

I decided to change my palette slightly for this one, using a lot of Vallejo Black Red mixed in with the Flat Flesh, and using a lot of Off White on the highlights. I found that this head would only really respond to a graphic treatment, and after hours and hours of work, this is the best I could come up with.

The rendering of the rest of the figure really is excellent, so hopefully this will be a case of the sum being greater than the parts.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
I was just going to inform you about bargains at Historex mate.Another bargain mate.You are a machine my friend.Peter the painting maestro.
Good stuff mate.
Richard

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Looking good as always peter ;)
Cheers and have fun

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
Normal seat please, or standing space if your going to be quick ! Hope this time you will finish him.:thumb2:
John.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Peter good luck with this one though you don't need it, if it does go belly up which it won't, throw it my way please, only joking wouldn't have a clue what to do with it.
Old Puffer Pete.

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - Cheers. As for the Verlinden busts on Historex, when they're gone, they're gone. After that it's silly prices on eBay.

Steven - Hi. Certainly having fun, thank you.

John - It will be fairly quick. Three days, is that worth sitting for?

Pete - It's never going to be great, but it looks like it will make it to the finish line.

Here is what he looks like now:

100_3099.JPG100_3100.JPG100_3101.JPG

I've now got most of the armour done - just the shoulder guards to paint and attach. Quite fiddly because of the detail, but fun to do. I decided to paint the wooden prayer beads green as I thought the box art made them look like a string of garlic. The bit of hinged metalwork on his back is a bracket for taking a standard.

Also found a hair extension which I might use to liven up the back of his head. We'll see.....

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Another cracking figure even though you are looking at a back cabinet filler.

Your display must be a really good journey over the past couple of years and the way your painting has evolved.

Even your back cabinet work is a show stopper for the rest of us all.

Have a good day with the final pieces and a hair piece too!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - More adventures in bust-land (oh, er.....).

Thanks Steve - The sculpt of the face bothers me and perhaps it needed a different treatment from my usual method to make something of it. Still.......

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Peter if that's not great I don't know what is and I very relieved :smiling6: to know that it's not in the post.
Keep up the not so great work :smiling4::smiling3::smiling5::tears-of-joy:.
Old Puffer Pete.

D

Dave S4

Didn't you have a bad experience of this genre a while ago?
This one looks good; glad you have re-visited the subject.

(Unless my middle-aged brain is mixing things up again)

D

Deleted member 6559

Old Puffer - Many thanks. You should try doing a bust - you never know, you might enjoy it!

Dave - Yes I had a couple of failures - the first a Verlinden 120mm figure, and the second a female Samurai by Best Soldiers. I saved some of the elements from the last and have used them on this figure, which is now finished:

100_3102.JPG100_3103.JPG100_3104.JPG100_3105.JPG100_3106.JPG

I ditched the kit shoulder armour and replaced it with the Best Soldiers set, which was bigger and had more detail. I also used the Best ponytail to add a bit of interest to the back of the head.

Not sure what to think of the final result, but I did enjoy working on him.

D

Dave S4

It looks good to me!
They're aesthetically one of the nicest subjects for figure modelling, but also very challenging to get right.
I did one and vowed 'never again'.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Dave.

I don't particularly relish tackling the decoration on Samurai figures myself. A bust is just about enough.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Bugger!! Missed it again. You are certainly on a roll at the moment. Wonderful work as always.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bugger!! Missed it again. You are certainly on a roll at the moment. Wonderful work as always.
Steve .... Knowing Peter he either binned it, or sprayed it with Fairy Power spray .
But it would be nice to see the difference.
John.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I had a look through his file of his MM work and I dont have it so he is safe!:smiling5: Edited the post accordingly:thumb2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - Cheers.

Steve and John - Scale Model's Morecambe and Wise! This one has survived, though I have started pulling apart that darned musketeer for parts.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice skills Peter, looks very good ;)
Cheers,
Steven