Verlinden 200mm Vietnam Airborne

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_2611.JPG

After realising that I couldn't face Ardennes camo at the moment, I decided on another figure given to me by Richard Pearce for my next build. This is a mahoosive 200mm Vietnam Airborne figure by Verlinden. As you can see, a quality figure, beautifully modelled and cast. All gear is present and correct except for the water bottle, which I may have to pinch from another, completed figure. The current heat suits the subject!

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A wise choice my friend.Lot of scope with this chappie.Helmet art etc.Will see if i can find a spare water botyle for you.Probably find it in my spares box.
Onwards dear friend.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Richard - This is a great figure, with, as you say, lots of scope for paint effects..

I think the head is done:

100_2612.JPG100_2613.JPG100_2615.JPG

This was a tricky one. I must admit that I attempted this head when I first got back from holiday and that it ended up in a bath of Flash. This time I stuck at it, trying to tolerate the fact that 99.99% of the time it looked b****y awful, and this is the result. Not sure, but I ain't doing it again.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looks superb painted up.Real character in the face that comes to life under the paint.Id leave him as he is as he looks spot on mate.
Richard

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ive found a water bottle for Mr.Airborne.
Will pop it in post tommorow mate.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Richard - glad you like him so far. I have since fiddled with the face a bit, just blending the tones more and tidying up. Terrific that you've found a water bottle - saves spoiling an older finished bust. No hurry, as I'm taking my time with this one.

There seems to be two versions of this figure. An older one has a bare head and is holding his helmet. This later version seems to have acquired the head from a separate bust that they also produced. I've just seen that the slightly crooked mouth is meant to accommodate a cigarette, so I'll probably give him one.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter

I think that when the headis on the body, helmet added it will look just fine.

Peter

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Looks superb painted up.Real character in the face that comes to life under the paint.Id leave him as he is as he looks spot on mate.
Richard

Morning Peter

Have to agree, so you are out voted LOL

Looks like the refreshing rain front has arrived, it tipping it down here in Yorkshire, hope you have had a freshener too?

Hope the paint flows smoothly, as the figure looks like it will be cracker to paint.

Have a good weekend

regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - I think it will look OK. No point obsessing over details like the extra wrinkle you've just discovered under the eye...

Steve - The face is finished. I did a bit of extra work on it and I'm happy now. We had torrential storms overnight and now it is still feeling warm, but fresher. It was so hot yesterday that the paint was drying instantly. Not sure whether to work on the helmet or the jacket today. The helmet has lots of fiddly detail apart from the camo cover - insect repellent, lucky strikes, playing card, match books, etc.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looks mighty fine to me Peter.Bit cooler here but v windy.Water bottles in the post mate.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Richard.

Very windy here too, but blissfully cooler. Many thanks re the water bottle.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

very nice work on the helmet and all the accessories the GI's carried.

Still raining here, but so much fresher too.

You must be doing the main body of the figure, that will be a real blast, it does look well sculpted with crisp detail and sharp creases

have fun

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve - He's coming on. The jacket next and I am looking forward to it.

D

Deleted member 6559

Top half of the jacket done:

100_2621.JPG

This took ages, I think because there is such a vast acreage of surface to cover at this scale. The base colour for the uniform was Vallejo Russian Uniform with German Camo Black Brown added for the shadows and Buff to lighten it for the highlights.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

That is BIG, and plenty more still to do, it should keep you out of trouble for a few more days?

Much fresher today after all the weekend rain.

It should be a good week for paint with the cooler fresher weather.

Have a good day

regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Peter and Steve

Yes, should take a bit longer than usual. Just seen the weather forecast and it will be back into the 30s by the end of the week. Not good, as we've hired a van to move our eldest into her new flat in Lewes at the weekend.

Actually got too dark to paint at one point yesterday. Can't win.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
He is big - you'll need a 3" brush :tongue-out3:
Is it just me or has the helmet changed the look of the face. It was fine even though you didn't seem sure but the helmet makes it really characterful.
Jim