Verlinden 200mm Vietnam Airborne

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim

Yes, I agree that the helmet has improved the head. I like the fact that it's pushed back slightly.

D

Deleted member 6559

That's the donkeywork done:

100_2627.JPG100_2628.JPG100_2629.JPG

It will need a coat of matt varnish and of course there is still the weathering to be done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Cor what a whopper.Hes a big dude Mr.D.Really nice job mate and looks so good under a coat of paint.Excellent.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Richard.

Really enjoying this one (thanks to you, yet again!).

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for that comparison shot Peter.
He's some size alright. That must bring it's problems ?.
John.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Looking very nice, and loads of equipment still to do?

is it the light or photos, but the uniform seems to have a satin sheen?

I know you have mentioned matting your figures has been an issue in the past

Sounds like the weekend will be fun!

I moved my 1 and only, 3 years ago, he can come back and help us now, if we need it.

I'd need a Luton just for the stash alone!

Have a good day with the paint, hopefully it wont be to grey?

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

John - He's quite heavy, but I'm actually finding painting him slightly easier that the smaller scales. The larger size means that you can work on individual folds and creases while still wet and get some decent blending going.

Steve - Morning. Yes, he's shiny as hell. Sometimes Vallejo paint is like that unfortunately. I painted the boots last night, so the next task is to do some weathering, stick him on a base, then give him a good matting down with Daler Rowney. After that it's on to the equipment - ammo pouches, entrenching tool, water bottle, bayonet, rolled rain cape, grenades, and of course the M16.

Seems to be getting hot again, with 30 degrees predicted for moving day, dammit.

D

Deleted member 6559

The latest:

100_2635.JPG100_2636.JPG100_2637.JPG

Today I started by adding some dirt to the uniform, then mounting him on a base (an old Verlinden one). I next gave the uniform a couple of coats of matt varnish to kill off the shine - any glare that's left is due to the extremely bright conditions.

I then painted and attached most of the equipment. I've tried to vary the colours as much as possible to suggest different states of wear and to add interest. So far I've used Vallejo Russian Uniform, Medium Olive, Dark Olive, Luftwaffe Camo Green, Grey Green and Khaki.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Cant see any donkeys but the figure is stunning.

One of your better ones I must say. Have you done something different Peter or is it the quality of the sculpt?

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Steve

I haven't done anything different, so it's a combination of the sculpt and the scale - it's massive, so is bound to look better shrunk down.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Uniform is superb even by your standards. I really like this.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Thank you Jim. I've just spent an hour or so taking the weathering up onto the jacket - very scary. Too dark to photograph now.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening Peter.
That face has some great skintones, very nicely done.

Hope the move goes according to plan ! Remember Keep Calm and DRIVE :thumb2:
John.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Superb Peter...as usual you show us quality and wonderful palette choice... for the suspenders if you can make them greener....they would be perfect...

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Nicely done Peter,
must be a lot easier using a half inch brush :smiling5:....joking aside brilliant as ever:smiling4:
Si

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Cheers. The weekend will be 'Keep Calm and Lift!'

Greg- Wondered what you were talking about at first - in the UK suspenders are what ladies use to hold up their stockings. I've gone with a bit of artistic license with the colour to help create some contrast. I did notice in a lot of photos that the straps look more khaki than olive, no doubt because they were older:
7083633cf78c3d798b6448803e8c41a5--vietnam-history-vietnam-veterans.jpg

Si - Thanks also. The problem with this scale is that you get vast areas without modulation - definitely looks better when reduced by the camera. Trying to keep my nerve about the extra weathering I've done at the moment.....

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
hey Peter... just for your information the figure you are painting is a mid-late war mix of equipment.
The suspender that are represented are the model H Harness M56 tha was in heavy-cotton and would turn more greyish green than khaki.
Vintage-1960S-Vietnam-War-M1956-Field-Combat-Load.jpg
the belt you painted is exactly the color... and is also a M56 belt
then the sculptor decided to equip the soldier with the M67 equipment... with the ULTRA RARE 30 rounds pouch in Nylon and also added the very late (1970) entrenching tool also in Nylon...
scarce-US-Army-Vietnam-issue-m67-folding-entrenching.jpg
as you see its more green than Khaki... I'm adding also some canteen pouches to give you the idea of the color
M67 Canteen-3.jpg.JPG
and here you can see the SUPER RARELY used 30 round mag pouch
M67pouch(1).jpg
Also for your info the 82nd served in Vietnam during the Tet Offensive in Jan 1968 but only the 3rd Brigade and most but not all the personel wore a full colored pacth and not a subdued.
here are some pictures
316f7126785712b9a81b03df81f66736--nd-airborne-division-field-jackets.jpg25513526783_18d43a4666_b.jpgpost-1761-0-63095500-1420670349.jpg
ALL PICTURES FOR DISCUSSION PURPOSE ONLY
Hope this will help you
have a nice evening
Greg

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Love the role call of Vallejo paints, and the reference photos are really useful for all the colour differences with the kit.

After a few months in the field, they will all start to blend and age together with abuse, dust and general use and wear.

The figure is coming together really well, and looks the part.

The face has to be one of your best, and with the scale will be a 3D version of a canvas painting.

Nearly there, then time for a little jaunt out over the weekend.

Have fun with both

retards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Greg - Very many thanks. A superb set of reference photos. The ammo pouches are so rare that it took me quite a while to find reference on the internet - ditto the entrenching tool. Should have remembered to ask you first.
Re the straps. I'm going to leave them as they are. This is partially because the thing is getting so big and unwieldy that it would be hard to change them, but also because I prefer the contrast they make - a decision to do with art over pure accuracy I'm afraid.

Steve - It does feel a bit like painting a canvas what with the vast amount of resin to be covered. I should get it finished today, though the lettering on the grenades will take a while (if I attempt it).

Here's an update with the extra weathering:

100_2640.JPG

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
well Peter... i saw the last picture you did and indeed it blends in like this very well since also you made the soldier pretty dirty.
I really like where this is going keep up the stunning work
Greg