Very large model boats

D

duncan

\ said:
Duncan, the Invincible actually looks capable of travelling across the Atlantic!
In a container perhaps. When I cant see dry land I panic!

M

MartinH-K

Hi Duncan

Have you ever thought about either a 'drop' board or a bolt on center board to stabilise her when underway?

D

duncan

Yes she is fitted with a drop-keel/centre-board amidships. First one was wooden with iron plates on bottom. Made it a bit too close tolerance and wood swelled causing it to jam ( in up position). Helped a lot so decided to go whole hog and put all metal one in. Made it too heavy for easy lifting and lowering so left it out and am making a slimmer lighter one. Not much room below deck for lifting plus deck isn't really that strong to support 2cwt. Decided side area is nearly as important as weight to stop rolling and helps a lot with straight-line tracking. Still don't fancy the Atlantic ! What progress with yours ?

R

rjwood_uk

what happened to the guy on here whos dad was making a large titanic model in his back yard up in scotland. would be interested to see how thats comming along.

M

MartinH-K

Had a bad car accident and hurt my neck when another car slammed me from behind. Recovering but Hood sections are currently cut and awaiting assembly. Its gone better than I thought. Will post piccies when I've got the skeleton together.

M

MartinH-K

From the piccies... I'd have thought there would be more detail...

D

duncan

Sorry to hear about accident Martin....hope you sued the bastard ! look forward to pics.

M

MartinH-K

Been offered some cash and some physio... lawyer wants to wait and see what the physio produces before accepting their offer.

M

MartinH-K

Its my neck...! If limping helped, I'd go for it but picture this...

I go into the physio... "How can I help you Mr H-K?"

"My neck hurts when I go like this..."

"Well don't go like that then...."

I know, old but still funny.

A

alan2525

Sorry about the accident - but hope you get a considerable amount of money to put towards the hood!

Look forward to seeing the ship progress!

Regarding the build, just how crazy do you intend on going detailing the model or will it be a kind of stand off scale model?

M

MartinH-K

I'm going to be quite crazy!!!

I've slightly changed my mind and will build the version (1930s) that flew a seaplane from the quarterdeck. A friend is currently building an R/C electric Firefly seaplane (1/35 .) for that. The guns will fire and smoke will come from the stacks. Thats the first year of a three year build.

M

MartinH-K

I just saw the fusalage for the firefly. It has a cute lickkle electric engine and a 13" wingspan. Its soooo cute!

Last edited:
S

sx976

Responding to your request for information on similar very large models........

There is a modeller called Arnold Sager local to me (Frankfurt am Main, Germany) who has a 5.1 meter manned model of the Maxim Gorki. I have seen this model many times as he participates in many of the local regattas.

http://www.frankfurter-schiffs-modellbau-club.de/index.htm?/maximgorki/maximgorki.htm

http://www.club-ts-hamburg.de/Seiten/modellbau/modell_maxim_gorkiy.htm

Maybe in comparison with your model this one 'only' counts as large !

View attachment 15754

maxim_regatta_2003.jpg

D

duncan

Thank you sx976 that is interesting information. A beautiful model and highly detailed, a tribute to Herr Sager. I hope to have a chance to see it on my next visit to Germany. Best regards. Duncan.

A

alan2525

\ said:
I'm going to be quite crazy!!!I've slightly changed my mind and will build the version (1930s) that flew a seaplane from the quarterdeck. A friend is currently building an R/C electric Firefly seaplane (1/35 .) for that. The guns will fire and smoke will come from the stacks. Thats the first year of a three year build.
Is it this incarnation of the hood where the aircraft takes off along a short ramp that was supported on top of the gun barrels?

If it is it could be a little perilous for the wickle firefly what with all the fire and smoke!

M

MartinH-K

No Alan... the plane launched from a totally seperate catapault on the aft end of the quartedeck. It was a collapsable catapult/crane affair that was only on board for about a year. It was impractical on the Hood as she was a particularly 'wet' ship. What I'm going to do is make the whole affair detachable so I can show her as versions from 1931 to 1941... but not the 1942 version (she sank in 1941!). I have to go back to the person who is making the plane though... I did some calculations and the Firefly had a 13.2m wingspan. I calculate that at 1/35 scale (and I'd be glad if someone checked my math) that should make the wingspan close to 19 inches...

M

MartinH-K

The size WAS wrong! Sorted now and the seaplane will have about a 14/15 inch wingspan now.:grinball2: