Waiting to fly !

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
:darn: Still waiting for some decent weather here to fly,heavy showers all day,these are some of my current fleet just waiting to get airborne again after being in store all winter.

Anyone else waiting to get some flying in ?

Picture shows-Clipt wing Cub,Cap 231,Zlin,Parnall Elf,Spitfire.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

Wowbagger

Hey, Wonwinglo, must have just missed the showers not too far away from you! I flew from 10 till 2 in lovely sunny, but blustery, weather. Lucky it turned out nice cos I threw a sicky to be there! :thumbs: I'll be there tomorrow too! :great:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes there were a few slots wowbagger but the trudge across to the strip put me off with those heavy cumo nim hanging overhead,I should have taken the gamble,hopefully tomorrow ?

B

Bluewavestudios

Been out up the local slope a few times this week, the local guys have returned with some good flying weather and some good flying too (Great Orme, Llandudno) .....Quite tempted to knock up a PSS and join them...trouble is though.....will it be a Harrier GR3, Tornado ADV or an FB111...???? (I have plans for all 3) Decisions, decisions lol :D

Regards.......Mark

B

Bluewavestudios

ps........ Nice Fleet Wonwing......Piper Cub was my first R/C plane with a .15 engine......would quite happily do another one. Had many happy hours flying with that and I have 2 PAW .19 Diesels sitting idle now, so one of those would do it nicely.

Regards......Mark

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Diesels.

:great: Cannot beat a nice smelly diesel,every time I bring one of these comparitive rarities these days down the field everyone loves the smell of the ether !

I think the true potential of the diesel was not fully explored,if only they made more throttles for them ? made better exhaust systems that kicked the slime away from the airframe then they would have proved more popular.

I see that Dave Platt in the States is building big diesels for his scale ships,he says the torque to drive big props cannot be matched by glo or petrol.

Having started my powered modelling career with control liners powered with a vintage ED Competition Special I have a real soft spot for them.

That engine after giving me hours of flying in the fifties,being pre-owned then even,was sent to Gig Eiflander for a rebore,he sent it back saying that it did not need it as it was perfectly sound ! cannot believe it after all those hours flying,one day I will put it into a vintage airframe just for old times sake.

B

Bluewavestudios

One of my PAW'S is the R/C throttled version and the other is the standard non throttled version.......both have silencers fitted. I also have a very Old AM diesel given to me by a friend at work. It is in good condition but is locked solid at present so needs dismantling and a clean of the insides etc to loosen things up.

Regards........Mark

PS......we've had perfect flying weather again here today, it is gorgeous outside.

W

Wowbagger

Nice days flying - again! Blimey, whatever next! Unfortunately, forgot the sunblock until it was too late! :darn: Now look like I've been for a stroll inside a nuclear reactor... :rolleyes: Looking forward to tomorrow though! (sings - I'm gonna flyyyy awwwaaayyy, yeah, yeah yeah. (Lenny Kravitz song))

Enjoy it while you can guys.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Got to fly.

Wowbagger got to fly today in the end,however here lies a story that spoiled my evening,see the new thread marked 'Safety' :exclaim:

W

Wowbagger

Well, I'm charging for tomorrow after work. Let's hope the weather holds. If there's no-one there it'll be torque roll practice!

Wonwinglo, read and posted on that thread and sympathise with you! Had a Merc' turn up as I was leaving the field on Saturday. You know what that means, huh? :ohno:

M

Malcolm Fisher

One of my PAW'S is the R/C throttled version and the other is the standard non throttled version.......both have silencers fitted. I also have a very Old AM diesel given to me by a friend at work. It is in good condition but is locked solid at present so needs dismantling and a clean of the insides etc to loosen things up.Regards........Mark

PS......we've had perfect flying weather again here today, it is gorgeous outside.
Mark,

I too prefer diesels to glows but in spite of this preference, mostly these days use glows.

As for your seized AM, try dripping/squrting standard diesel fuel into the exhaust port and down the venturi and leave it to soak for some hours.

Shake the residue out and repeat the treatment then try "rocking" the prop backwards and forwards. This treatment has worked for me with no apparent ill effects. Might be different for a BB rather than a plain bearing engine though.

Cheers,

Malcolm

B

Bluewavestudios

Cheers Malcolm

May just give that a go, funnily enough I read a similar post on newsgroups the other night and there were various suggestions as to what sort of stuff to use to soak the engine in, One of them being standard diesel as you have suggested.

Overall the engine is in excellent condition, just needs the soak to free things up and it'll be fine. I have been told that it would be a shame to run it now as it is probably worth more as a collectors item.

Regards........Mark.

P

Phoenix

when my glo engines sieze up i just squirt some wd40 in the carb exhaust and in the plug hole (the little screw thingy in the diesels) would that not work for your diesel engines too ?

M

Malcolm Fisher

Pheonix,

The "screw thingy" on a diesel is a means of varying the compression ratio. A squirt of anything in that hole wouldn't be much benefit.

Mark.

I have an AM 10, a 25 and possibly a 15, though I seem to remember passing the 15 on to someone.

They may be worth more as "collector's items, but I prefer to use them.

On that theme, I have a number of ED, PAW, and DC plus others, all of which get used on various occasions - some are in control line models which have been around for over thiry years and still get an outing every now and then.

You never know - it might be necessary to go back full time to C/L as flying fields diminish and it's good to have more than one string to one's bow.

I doubt that I'll ever go back to FF, (too old, too lazy to chase models and too tight to risk losing them), but may well resort to a slope soaring only regime - after all the cost of that, once you have a suitable model and R/C gear, is the cost of charging the nicads/NiMH batteries and the petrol costs of getting to the site. If push comes to shove, I have a flyable site within walking distance.

Malcolm