Weathering on a black plane

W

wbk666

I'm at the weathering stage on my Lancaster build but i'm stuck as to how to weather them underside which is black.

any suggestions?

G

Gomer Pyle

Use lighter shades of "black" and dark grey and brown colours. Have the panels them selves in focus rather than the panel lines.

/Daniel

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As above.

Also I don't paint black as black on a model to start with. A version of very dark grey looks better. I add red to my basic black but others add white,green or just about anything else :smiling3: .

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would of been smart and say that the weathering will be the same colour what ever colour the aircraft was painted.

I assume that we are talking about panel lines and the such.

As has been said, Black is normally any thing but black on an aircraft kit, and the panels can then be sorted with a Darker shade of grey.

Ian M

W

wbk666

i think i have a few hours a picture studying ahead of me LOL

thanks everyone.

C

Caledonia

\ said:
I'm at the weathering stage on my Lancaster build but i'm stuck as to how to weather them underside which is black.any suggestions?
Have a look at my Blackbird, may help. Cheers Derek

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/aircraft-pictures/13120-finished-lockheed-martin-sr-71a-blackbird-1-72-hasegawa.html

W

wbk666

stunning Derek, i dont think my abilities are up to that yet but thanks.

M

m1ks

If it's any help, a favourite of mine is Tamiya Nato Black which I use for tyres and anything that's intended to be black, like my Blue Thunder helicopter underside. I've read of a few who mix black and red 50:50 and say this looks right on the Lancaster.

W

wbk666

too late for this build, its already been sprayed with good old Hu33

I'll remember for next time though.

cheers.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I've read of a few who mix black and red 50:50 and say this looks right on the Lancaster.
That might be a bit too much red! I never measure anything accurately because a) I can't be arsed to count drops and b) it doesn't matter. I really don't hold with the scientific approach to scale effect and colour mixing. If it looks right to you,then it is right.Just my opinion,I'm not trying to provoke an argument:smiling3:

I estimate that for 1/48 somewhere around 20% red will do the trick,maybe a bit more for 1/72.

The best bet is to experiment (not on your model!) and see what you think looks right.

Here's the bottom of an Me 262 in progress.

It seems a bit too red,but after varnish and weathering it settles down.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
I never measure anything accurately because a) I can't be arsed to count drops and b) it doesn't matter. I really don't hold with the scientific approach to scale effect and colour mixing. If it looks right to you,then it is right.Just my opinion,I'm not trying to provoke an argument:smiling3:
I agree with that. I'm learning that 'scale colours' are often a little different to 'full scale colour'. I'm interested to see how your weathering goes on the Lancaster, and seeing the final product, Wayne.