Weathering Rubber Tyres

S

Stevekir

I have been experimenting. The effect I want is that medium to light grey, mainly dusty deposit rather than gobbets of mud, on many lorry tyres seen on our roads.

Here is the exact effect I want (a clip from a recent post):

Mud on tyre.png

I have tried:

1. Brushing or dabbing on slightly diluted Humbrol Matt Cote (a sort of varnish) then adding with a brush some weathering powder and mixing on the tyre. This is the approach recommended by Humbrol for many weathering techniques such as dust, mud, rust etc. However, the Matt Cote won't stick to the rubber.

2. Applying the slightly diluted Matt Cote and sprinkling some dry weathering powder from a brush brought down on to a hard surface. Again, the Matt Cote won't stick to the rubber and the result is too even.

3. Another way is to brush on diluted polycement (our usual glue, which sticks to the rubber) and sprinkling on the powder, then mixing with the brush to get a fairly even finish, and when dry rub with a paper towel. It looks too even without any cracks in the weathering which are probably caused by the rubber always flexing when driven on the road.

4. (The best so far, see the second photo) is to mix some diluted polycement with the powder and using a piece of coarse kitchen sponge, dab it on. The photo shows a rather thick muddy coat but I could probably reduce that by mixing less powder to glue and dabbing on more lightly:

Mud on tyre.jpg

There is one way to get cracks: by having two coats, the upper one shrinking more than the lower one as it dries (reticulation). But I don't know how to choose the two coats.

Ideas welcome please, on how to achieve the light mud effect, and what you think of my effort in the second photo?

Last edited:
M

Mark P

Not in modelling but in other things I used to do was use Vaseline first and then the finish colour you want, that cracks because of the grease or oil paints and dry them with a hot hair dryer

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

I would gently sand them first. This greys them up a bit and gives a good base to work on.

First Name
Adrian
I "dusted" my Cougar wheels by applying a very thin amount of MIG Pigment Fixer then using a large brush flicking the desired colour of pigment onto the wet area.

002.JPG

I should say I dry brushed the wheels first to get rid of the horrible gloss rubber :smiling3:

Adrian

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Not in modelling but in other things I used to do was use Vaseline first and then the finish colour you want, that cracks because of the grease or oil paints and dry them with a hot hair dryer
That's interesting. Does it work only with oil paint (as the finish colour) or also with acrylics (water based)?

\ said:
I "dusted" my Cougar wheels by applying a very thin amount of MIG Pigment Fixer then using a large brush flicking the desired colour of pigment onto the wet area.
View attachment 153546

I should say I dry brushed the wheels first to get rid of the horrible gloss rubber :smiling3:

Adrian
Thanks. I will try that as well.

M

Mark P

I have only done it with oils or with Vaseline with acrylic Steve, oils work better though but you must false dry them on a high heat

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A little greyish-tan acrylic, a very dry brush and a very light touch;)

100_4249-jpg.102103.jpg

S

Stevekir

\ said:

Adrian
Thanks. I did basically as you did: sanded the rubber; applied a dilute wash of PVA; dabbed a piece of coarse wirey-like kitchen sponge in dry powder (which I will make a lighter sandy colour); dabbed it on but not pressing nor wiping. It is more or less as I want but I think I will make the wash very lightly coloured, to remove the black of the rubber.

Muddy Tyre again.jpg

Last edited:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Steve I'm sure Tiking ( Charles ) put on his thread that he just painted them in the colour your wanting then when dry just squash the tyre which cracks the paint as it would then he coats it with varnish to seal it.

S

Stevekir

I tried squishing with a couple of paints but it didn't work. The trick is probably to get low adhesion, to allow bits to detach. A quick spray of matt varnish would fix it.

D

dead-mans-click

I know it's a late post but spray them all over with a Matt varnish and it leaves a nice finish to add pigments, always works for me... Doesn't look like a horrible rubber tyre then 

S

Stevekir

I am the OP. I forgot to say what I eventually did to my tyres. I just cleaned them with water and when dry applied with a brush an appropriate mix of pigment powders, then I rubbed them on with my finger. The tyres don't get any handling so the pigment did not fall off. Attached is a photo which, in my opinion, gives the right amount of dust, following several observations of real trucks on the roads. I didn't find any with actual mud in the sidewalls, probably because heavy road vehicles seldom go up muddy tracks, even in forests.

Looking at it again, perhaps a bit more pigment would improve it.

Timber Trailer, second try-2.jpg