weathering

N

new to trains

Weathering

Not really a tutorial but I thought I would share my experiences of weathering with you all- some may think I am talking out of my rear, others may find some of it useful, it’s a skill you never master just something you improve on as time goes by -so here goes,

Having spent several years making architectural models that were mint and pristine, I decided I wanted my models to show true signs of everyday life- the model boats I build feature, rust on the winches and the anchor chains, and other places of wear, but I really started to study ‘weathering’ when I started to build model railways.. something I have only been doing seriously for about 2 years….

BUILDING WEATHERING

I definitely did not want my layout to be mint and pristine which means I had to try and replicate the marks and weathering on my buildings, also working at N scale ( 1 to 160 ) also means that the weathering needed to be accurate and realistic but in a fairly small scale !

I have enclosed a couple of pictures of buildings, some are scratchbuilt, others are kits, but all are weathered to varying degrees

Weathering needs to be accurate, but subtle, and realistic, I use acrylic paints and lots of thin washes, I build up all weathering in lots of thin layers, just like real life,

Any building that uses corrugated sheet can and should be weathered, corrugated panels age differently and with careful masking you can easily pick out individual areas to represent the individual sheets of zink / corrugated steel . if your building is pre moulded if you mask of the edge of a small panel and carefully build up a wash of rusty brown, this when It dries will leave a line of subtle colour- also highlighting the edge of individual sheets of corrugated material,

Rust is more than one colour, build up rusts with several shades and don’t over do it !- less is more !

* A good way of creating rust is to use real rust, use salt water if possible place it in a jam jar and add some old nails or rusty metal , let the rust

‘ grow’ in the jar, when all the water evaporates you are left with a rust residue, this can be used as a wash, or it can be brushed on or wait until its totally dry and grind into a powder and apply with a soft brush…

With other buildings then areas of weathering is usually where there is water marks and damage or areas of decay,

Water damage is usually where water runs down walls meets roof lines or where down pipes and gutters are damaged, the corners of buildings can also show signs of extra weathering if they are in exposed positions….

The other job of weathering with thin washes and good quality brushes is the fact the paint will replicate the real life ‘runs and marks’ it will run into the details and it will also follow the natural line and replicate real life situations…. Also consider weathering on vertical surfaces, when it rains hard the grit and earth gets splashed up the walls of buildings, this over the years will take its toll, and is visible on some buildings….

To ‘dirty’ up;’ buildings, vehicles, or rolling stock have you considered materials such as corn flour or toner powder from the photocopier ?

A soft badger shaving brush is ideal to carefully apply these fine powders, they can be used on buildings too, a very light brush over can often soften the look and weather a model nicely,

When I fill the copier toner I often put a small amount of left over toner powder into a 35mm film can - its ideal for models, if your building is made in embossed brick plasticard then paint the main brick colour – then lightly brush with brush loaded with cornflour, the fine powder will pick up the ‘grooves’ that represent the mortar between the bricks- but gently does it !

Toner powder is ideal to pick up details on rolling stock – also great to soot up vents around diesel engines or on the apex of tunnel entrances to represent the years of steam train soot passing underneath….

The joy is also the toner powder and corn flour is ‘,at’ it takes the shine off the models too.

Be careful not to over do it though- if you have a canopy with a glass roof then you can weather it by a fine paint wash , or spray over with an extra hold hair spray and then very gently dust over with powder, this again just takes off the very new glossy look with clear acrylic or plasticard. Glass roves or canopies,

Rail Tank cars- tankers generally contain liquids or powders, usually liquids, if its oil, then very carefully applied varnish in areas around the filler can add realism , the shine left from one thin varnish wash can imply a small run or spill during the filling process, again think about real life the oil will run and will not stay in one place….reproduce this on your wagon….

Hopper wagons usually show residue of loads and dust, again powders such as cornflour can be good for this, or grind up artists coloured pastels to a powder and apply with a badger or soft brush to keep the dust in place use artists pastel fixative available in artshops in an aerosol ,

The other area on buildings is the roof slates, every slate is not the same colour, they weather at differing rates , flat rooves often have water marks or water/ puddles laying on them, this can be replicated, especially watermarks, water is not so easy and unless you are keen to try it then maybe its better avoided….

Anyway, have fun enjoy, I hope this helps some of you and as I say I am no expert, but I just keep trying to improve my models……

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Thanks for that, great pics too, I have seen a U-boat kit I want but I don't want it to look new I want it to look as if it's been under the ocean for a few years, so when I get it I will be back to read this post again :smiling3:

F

Famous Polish Bob

I used to find rust powder quite good for making things look weathered. You need something rusty to start with, but I'm sure if you look round the garden or shed there must be something lying around. Crush the rust into as fine a powder as you can and let it dry thoroughly. Then give the area you want a squirt of spray-mount, and quickly dust it with the powder, and use a cloth to wipe it off. The rust sticks in the corners and is rubbed off on the highlights by the cloth.

N

new to trains

when i built my jules verne nautilus sub, i brushed on rust powder, i then used a plant mister/ sprayer and every 3 or 4 days gave it a mist of salt water, this ensured the rust ' keyed' onto the surface as it was there for some time.... after about 5 weeks the effect was ideal, and excatly what i wanted...... no need for spray mount as the rust started to key into the paint finish.....

N

Nigel.D

have built the Amati type vii uboat and i found the best way to simulate rust and wear was to use artist pastels and chalks il post up a pick so you can see as soon as i get a chance in the mean time here is my revell corvette weathered in the same way (you may need to zoom in to see some detail

Last edited:
N

Nigel.D

Believe it or not i made it myself dead simple if you want to know how il post it up its dead cheap and all

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Believe it or not i made it myself dead simple if you want to know how il post it up its dead cheap and all
*** Yes please,tell us how you made it and which materials to use.

N

Nigel.D

Display Case Instructions

As promised

first obviously you need to work out the size you want mine was 36" x 12" x 12"

Pop down your local Homebase and buy 2 sheets of crystal acrylic sheet then go to the wood mouldings section and purchase 12 ft of right angle wood moulding mine was 1/2" x 1/2" x 8ft x two. If you havent got one i really recomend you purchase a sheet cutter or p-cutter to cut the acrylic this gives you really nice straight lines once your ready cut the acrylic for the top of your case. Then cut the mouldings for eac side of the acrylic top. Now you can use silicon but i prefer a hot glue gun. Glue the mouldings to the top sheet of acrylic, it will then be ready for the sides and end sheets. When you have cut your sheets for the ends and sides, glue each one to the right angled inner face of the top section mouldings cut mouldings for the four corners and run a bead of glue down each of the inner sides and press into place at each corner, making sure that the acrylic is straight and at right angles to each other. This will make the case fairly rigid. once dry turn over and heypresto one clear case for you to display models under. I used the mouldings as edging for my base and the whole case just slotted in. If any one wants plans email me and il send them

View attachment 13208

View attachment 13209

corvette.jpg

corvette2.jpg

Last edited: