Welcome to the Second SIG of 2013.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks to all that have signed up for this one, lets hope we all join in. (I just seen that the Hummer SIG is missing two starters but early days yet).

Right then.

Build a Phantom Jet. Any Scale. Any Nation, any any amount of extras you want to throw at it.

Remember to post loads of photos, ask questions as needed and have fun.

Any questions and general chat about THIS SIG can be posted in this thread.

Happy building.

Ian M

T

TonyBv9

I would love an excuse to build a Phantom. Forgive my ignorance, but if I'm looking for a Vietnam era model in 1/72, what should I search for? I know they were flown in Navy, Marines and USAF colours, but I'm not sure who had the C/D or J or whatever.

Thanks.

First Name
Dave
I'm not very knowledgeable about non RAF Phantoms.But I know the F4C was a Vietnam era fighter armed with missiles only.Infact Colonel Robin Olds reckons he would have shot down more Migs if he'd had a gun on his Phantom.Thats the one I fancy doing if I can find a suitable kit.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Taken that all three US services where tied up in Vietnam for so long I think you would be able to find something for any mk from the F4E which I think was the first one used there.

Best bet? Pick a service, pick a colour and then find a kit to fit it!

Ian M

First Name
Dave
I know it's not started yet but I'm getting pretty enthusiastic about this!.Heres the one I'm thinking of doing if I can find what I need.

First Name
Dave
Forgot to say its Robin Olds F4C Mig killer 'Scat XXVII'

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Dave. I believe Revell do a 4C in 1/48 scale. The Decals might be a problem though.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I will try our friends Hannants for the Decals Ian.
Quite a few for scat II and III, but cant see any for XXVII...

Ian M

T

TonyBv9

I've seen great reviews for the Academy 1/48 F4B. Maybe that's the way to go.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have just moved all the relevant chatter about this SIG into this thread. Please try to keep it in here for chat about this SIG.

ta very muchly.

Ian M

First Name
Dave
After reading your post about the missing canopies,Ive asked my local hobby shop to get one in for me.So I can check it before I buy.

D

Danny

Hi Dave.. Was in my local shop today, the owner still hasnt received the canopies from the supplier.. terrible way to treat a retailer.

Danny

D

Danny

Ok strike this as my choice...email received, out of stock and unsure when it will be in....heading to Glasgow to see what i can find on Wednesday/day off...

Danny

First Name
Dave
My fault Danny as i said this kit would be easy to get hold of.....

First Name
Dave
Me and my big mouth...My local hobby shop just rang to say he can't get it from Revell in Germany!.Determined to get one now.So will have to try eBay or a supplier Ian told me about.Local shop has an F4B.Might be able to use that.Will have to find out the differences between the B and C.Mind you it's a Hasegawa kit and is more than I wanted to pay.

D

Danny

Dave , Im the kiss of death hahaha..Well initial phonecalls to shops in Glasgow are not too promising, but Im determined to iether come home with a kit or enough plastic to completely scratch build my own tomorrow...so if it looks like a sea king my apologies ! :smiling3:

Danny

1275GT

It sucks when that happens, fingers crossed & happy hunting tomorrow, Danny !

Cheers, Neil

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As it would seem there are a few that are chomping at the bit with this build I have decided to bring the start date forward to the first of March, which is just around the corner, and not the First of April, which is Soooooooooo far away....:sad:

So I hope that you can live with that. Oh the end date will not be changed, for those that have budgeted there time.

Ian M