Welcome to the Stop the Pigeon ! Group build

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Welcome to the formal commissioning of the Scale-Models Vulture Squadron ! Thanks to all you eager Squaddies we now have an excellent chance of catching that pigeon. As discussed in the chat thread this will be based on the TV series from the 1970's ,anyone needing further reference see here
The members of the new vulture squadron are- myself ,Ian , Peter ,Ron ,Alex, Jens, Ralph ,Polux, Joe and Dave.
The build will start Jan 1st and run for a year , feel free to do more than one or anyone else who fancies joining in is welcome at any time.

Right then the rules. ( " well theyre more like guidelines")

basically its just make a WW1 cartoon style aircraft that is designed to catch or aid catching the pigeon . It doesnt have to be one that featured in the tv series, it can be anything out of your feverish imagination , either with or without pigeon catching devices as long as its in the style of the cartoon . So virtually anything goes , Ive no idea what were going to come up with but a lot of bashing and scratching and general messing about is the order of the day , with many unexpected things probably being used (mousetraps , catapults ,fly swatters ,baseball bats etc!!)
Start your threads anytime but no starting the build till jan 1st (joes got a head start here!) sprue shots of the donor kits or even built/part built kits that are to be cannibalised/adapted should be included on your first post .
Gentlemen , start your engines! i salute you , now lets STOP THAT PIGEON !!

regards
your commanding officer d ,dastardly

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Tally ho, Commander....Chocks away, pip pip, bally good show, what!

Your old friend and obedient servant.

Sqn Ldr. R. Suppards and his Yank front gunner D.D. Ekerslyke

J

Jens Andrée

Although still in pondering and design mode, I'm also ready (-ish) to begin my contraption!
I'm leaning towards a total scratch built balsa wood and rice paper pigeon catcher myself since my box o' sprues are full of German tank parts and no airborne bits, but that just makes the challenge a bit more interesting ;)

Is there a medal for a successfully fabricobbled contraption Commander? :tongue-out3:
Woof woof

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I will be late joining in as I had a clear out a while back so I have to start from scratch.

J

Jens Andrée

I'm also not starting this GB right away because of other GB's and not having sourced all the material needed for this one, but it's going to be a really fun one to build for sure! :D

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I haven’t any subject yet...
I'm also not starting this GB right away because of other GB's and not having sourced all the material needed for this one, but it's going to be a really fun one to build for sure! :D

Well that's three of us. I'm leaning towards something like Muttley's machine and a clay Muttley in the cockpit.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Just a thought, Tony.

Whilst the chances of participating members duplicating 'Pigeon Catchers' is nil, do you think it would be a good idea / option, to allow builders to post their model progress just as far as they dare, without actually revealing the gadgets etc?

Then when the builder is satisfied - He can reveal all!!

This way no one would have a clue as to the end result....making the finished model something to behold and a complete fun surprise to fellow G.B.'ers.

Ron

J

Jens Andrée

I like how you're thinking Ron!
Just a wee question: If so are we then aiming for a specific reveal everything date or just do a full reveal as soon as each member is done?

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I like how you're thinking Ron!
Just a wee question: If so are we then aiming for a specific reveal everything date or just do a full reveal as soon as each member is done?
If we go for a final reveal date it would have to be the 31st of December due to the GB dates. But I'm happy with that if it gets the go ahead.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm easy either way. I will go with the flow.

....but it's only right and proper to let our C.O. decide which, if any, he thinks might work.

J

Jens Andrée

If it's a matter of choice I'd say each reveal when he/she is ready to, otherwise we risk people waiting until December to finish their builds and thus running the risk of being late...?
Regardless, this is a really funny GB and one that's really open to artistic flair and the whole toolbox!
I will surely try to make both large and drastic modifications to my kit to make it look more like the planes in the show, not just bolt on a contraption - and this I'm really looking forward to! :smiling:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I reckon just build em , if anyone wants to keep the end result a surprise its fine by me but I'll just be doing it like a normal (?!!) build , cheers tony