Wellington Wimpy Complete

T

tecdes

First apologies. I started this in "Under Construction" but did not complete as regretably it fell short of expectations which led me to being a little slack in my workmanship.

But I finished it. The interior was excellent in it's detail, really good & a joy to construct, sadly all hidden. But the fit of fuselage was not good. You will find no underneath photos as here there were lots of problems as I preserved the top parts. Smaller panels & the like did not fit well which is all a shame for such a handsome aircraft, a workhorse !

Laurie

View attachment 44140View attachment 44141View attachment 44143View attachment 44144View attachment 44142View attachment 44145View attachment 44139

View attachment 47343

View attachment 47344

View attachment 47345

View attachment 47346

View attachment 47347

View attachment 47348

View attachment 47349

P4150215.jpg

P4150201.jpg

P4150202.jpg

P4150203.jpg

P4150207.jpg

P4150210.jpg

P4150213_01.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Brilliant job. Very nice, clean and well presented. Love it. Top marks from me.

Andy

M

mobear

what a beautiful build laurie 5*s from me,its presented amazingly

mobear

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks great to me Laurie :smiling3:

A

andyrobs

Hi Laurie, you are being too hard on yourself mate, thats a cracking build, very impressive looking, and a big 5 stars from me

Cheers, Andrew

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
What they said! That's beautiful.

Gern

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Laurie. What a lovely looking model. Excellent. Glad to see you got those wings on OK in the end.

Steve

T

tecdes

\ said:
Hi Laurie. What a lovely looking model. Excellent. Glad to see you got those wings on OK in the end. Steve
Yes thanks for your info on that one Steve. Even a JCB would not get them off. Had a lot of packing under to get the hopefully angle of the wings correct.

Joe. The model is a 1/48 Trumpeter. Not sure if it was theirs originally I think that it may be an older model brought back to life. Made in China. In 1/48 it as I think the only one about.

Thanks for all your thanks they are all very nice.

Laurie

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Now that i like, lots. Great work Laurie, looks like a big five is on the way too.

Have fun, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely Wimpy laurie! I was watching a prog on the record breaking build of a wellington in less than 24 hrs the other day. The factory workers at Broughton ,North Wales attempted to build a wellington from start to finish in less than a day , and they managed it in 23 hrs 50 mins . Many of the factory workers were women too ,the immense battle of production being a somewhat forgotten aspect of the war. Anyway back to yours , it looks fantastic to me , as you say a real workhorse of an aircraft , cheers tony

T

tecdes

\ said:
Lovely Wimpy laurie! I was watching a prog on the record breaking build of a wellington in less than 24 hrs the other day. The factory workers at Broughton ,North Wales attempted to build a wellington from start to finish in less than a day , and they managed it in 23 hrs 50 mins . Many of the factory workers were women too ,the immense battle of production being a somewhat forgotten aspect of the war. Anyway back to yours , it looks fantastic to me , as you say a real workhorse of an aircraft , cheers tony
Yes that was a very nice programme Tony. From memory they had to get the pilot out of bed as they finished it so quickly. The level of production line building was incredible as the Spirfires were also being put together at a tremendous rate. Beat all that the US were doing at that time. Needs must I suppose. Incredible that they built over 11,000 of this aircraft yet not one can fly. Think I am right there.

Took a lot longer than 24 hours to build mine !

Laurie

Just adjust that. There is not one surviving that can fly. Most unfortunate to build 11,000 aircraft which could not fly.

Last edited:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thats a lovely looking Wimpy Laurie.

Tony.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice job Laurie. I'm sure Mr Wallace would be impressed.

T

treyzx10r

Laurie great looking build and very clean,5 stars for sure! Very nicely done!!!!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Laurie a great build and a lovely paint job 5* as you said it's a shame you can't see all the hard work you put into the interior.

Vaughan

T

tecdes

Thanks for the interest men & your comments.

One thing that I forgot to mention. On my Lancaster I used Vallejo Model Air black which is black.

On this I took note of what was said about toning down to make the colour more realistic for the scale.

On the Wellington I use a black grey. Vallejo Model Air Panzer Grey 71.056 which I thought looked OK. What do you think ?

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I think the black/grey colour has worked well with the scale look, Laurie. Such a wonderfully finished Wimpy.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great job Laurie!

My grandmother used to tell me how she and her brother would go Pollington airfield in Yorkshire to watch these aircraft take off. He was intent on becoming a pilot and couldn't get enough of the sight and sound of them. He finally got his wish and piloted glider aircrafin the war. Sadly he was shot down and killed, I believe in Rhine Crossing operations.

The Wellington looks great and It's such a shame about the fit. Still it did finish up being a cracking model.

Cheers

Paul