Wendalls 1/48 Airfix Lynx HMA.8 with BigEd

First Name
Jason
This is going to be my effort.

I've cleaned down the workbench and boxed up one or two kits that I had on the go.

This looks as though it will take a lot of planning, the kit has a very high part count on its own, then chuck in several hundred bits of PE and it could go horribly wrong.

I have a day off tomorrow so the plan is to double check all of the instructions and make sure I have the Eduard ones properly cross referenced so as not to miss anything.

I've had this stashed away for a while and I cant wait to get stuck into it.

Wish me luck!

View attachment 107600

View attachment 107601

View attachment 107602

View attachment 107606

View attachment 107614

View attachment 107615

View attachment 107616

View attachment 107617

View attachment 107618

Thanks for looking

Jason

DSC_0283.JPG

DSC_0284.JPG

DSC_0285.JPG

DSC_0286.JPG

DSC_0287.JPG

DSC_0288.JPG

DSC_0290.JPG

DSC_0291.JPG

DSC_0293.JPG

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Having built this kit, I will be watching to see how the Eduard stuff lifts it.

If you go for the Danish one, I can dig up some photos for you.

Ian M

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Helicopters are great, lots of lumps and bumps and other detail. It will be good to see this one come together.

L

Laurie

Got the AH7 Lynx next. This is to go with all the Herrick Range. Just cannot wait to get my hands on it.

As I have posted one landed here in Jersey. Spent half an hour looking around it. As Colin has mentioned it has loads of bits and bobs going on. Plus those rotors etc.

Cannot wait to finish the Jackal and et my fingers on this one. If it is anything like the Airfix Merlin it will be a joy to build.

Need any info any more detailed photos Jason the Lynx is here until Tuesday. Just let me know.

Laurie

First Name
Jason
\ said:
Having built this kit, I will be watching to see how the Eduard stuff lifts it.
If you go for the Danish one, I can dig up some photos for you.

Ian M
If I recall, your Lynx was one of the first threads I read on this forum Ian. I like the shiny blue of the Danish one but it doesn't have the ugly nose and as I want to sling a brace of Sea Skuas under the pylons its going to have to be the Royal Navy one. Plus its called Evelyn, the same as my Nan.

Nice to have you along for the ride Chaps. As I said, I had the day off today, plenty of time locked in the Mancave.

The instructions didn't turn out to be as complicated as they first appeared so I got straight into it. This kit is great the detail is very good and it builds up into a great looking Lynx without all of the bells and whistles but this Eduard stuff is something else. So many pieces, I have only dealt with the raw brass at the moment so as I can get everything in primer. The pictures below represent about 8 hours work.

View attachment 107691

View attachment 107692

View attachment 107693

View attachment 107694

View attachment 107695

View attachment 107696

View attachment 107697

View attachment 107698

A combination of CA for the large PE panels, watered down PVA for the small fiddly pieces and a soldering job on the seat bases and now my eyes are tired.

I kid you not, by the time the seats are finished (there is still a load of colour PE to add after painting) each one is about 30 parts!

One tip if anyone is going to have a go at this kit is to dry fit everything the tolerances are very tight. There were a few very slight ejection marks inside the fuselage and they were knocking it all out of line when I did a test fit.

I'm having fun though:D

CSC_0318.JPG

CSC_0319.JPG

CSC_0320.JPG

CSC_0323.JPG

CSC_0312.JPG

CSC_0314.JPG

CSC_0316.JPG

CSC_0317.JPG

First Name
Jason
\ said:
Got the AH7 Lynx next. This is to go with all the Herrick Range. Just cannot wait to get my hands on it.
As I have posted one landed here in Jersey. Spent half an hour looking around it. As Colin has mentioned it has loads of bits and bobs going on. Plus those rotors etc.

Cannot wait to finish the Jackal and et my fingers on this one. If it is anything like the Airfix Merlin it will be a joy to build.

Need any info any more detailed photos Jason the Lynx is here until Tuesday. Just let me know.

Laurie
The photos you've posted are great Laurie. They have already answered a few of my questions. An area I'm not sure of though, the quilted insulation in the rear! What colour would you say it is? The instructions are calling it as green but it looks more silvery grey to me?

Thanks

Jason

L

Laurie

Will have a decko tomorrow Jason. Nice young lady is in charge of the Lynx so it will not be a chore.

It is a RN Fleet Air Lynx so that should answer the question.

Laurie

D

dubster72

That looks an excellent kit Jason & the pe is ... can something be awesome & time-consuming simultaneously?!

I can't wait to see more!

First Name
Jason
\ said:
Will have a decko tomorrow Jason. Nice young lady is in charge of the Lynx so it will not be a chore.
It is a RN Fleet Air Lynx so that should answer the question.

Laurie
Thanks Laurie, that would be brilliant.

\ said:
That looks an excellent kit Jason & the pe is ... can something be awesome & time-consuming simultaneously?!
I can't wait to see more!
At the moment it can Patrick :smiling3:

Nice to have you along mate.

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Shizzle!! thats a LOT of PE Jason! It looks like a very detailed kit when you look at the sprues and the number of parts but then you see the difference the Eduard pe makes and it really lifts it into another league. Brilliant work , I just hope its all going to be visible , it would be a crying shame if you couldnt see all the extra effort youre putting in , cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
An amazing seat ! Really looking forward to seeing more now.

L

Laurie

Jason I have put some photos in the http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/lynx-rn-fleet-air.29669/ slot so they are altogether.

\ said:
An area I'm not sure of though, the quilted insulation in the rear! What colour would you say it is?
Hi Jason I have posted the photos to keep all together in. http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/lynx-rn-fleet-air.29669/ Deficiently a grey silver colour.

Regret the nice young lady was absent. But that is the story of my life. The two technicians were very nice , but men.

Laurie

L

Laurie

\ said:
Thanks Laurie, you're a gentleman:smiling3:
Big dollop of optimism there Jason. ;) Just add that it is nice to be able to study in the real these machines. To see how compact they are and how much they stuff on them. Rare chance in Jersey to do that.

Just cannot wait to get to my Lynx. Another 2 weeks and should be finished the Supacat Jackal. But not rushing after spending all this time building it I do not wish to wreck it.

Laurie

L

Laurie

Forgot Jason. When I built the Merlin it did not come ,as is also the case with the Lynx, with the crew.

I bought a Lynx crew set which are very good. Very well detailed.

http://www.pj-production.be/en/figures-1-48/161-481125-equipage-lynx-royal-navy.html. This is a 3 figure set and is the RN Fleet Air set.

Bit pricey but if you are building with open cargo doors well worth it.

Laurie

D

dougie

The detail in the pe is very nice. This should make a great kit, worth the effort I think!