Wessex exhaust colour

A

AVB99

Hello

The attached image is from a Wessex in the Hendon RAF museum. I'm determined to make this current model my best paint job. Can someoe please suggest paints and a technique so that I can achieve a highly polished finish like shown in the image.

Many thanks

View attachment 63351

wessex ex.jpg

There is only one way for a result similiar to the one form picture.

Paint the part black gloss, then paint it again with Alclad II Chrome. It's absolutely amazing, but not easy to achieve, as black base need to be flawless and as glossy as possible.

While looking for the Alclad picture, found this:

Atlanta Car Model Enthusiasts - Chrome Paint Test: Killer Chrome vs. Alclad II vs. Spaz Stix

A

AVB99

\ said:
There is only one way for a result similiar to the one form picture.Paint the part black gloss, then paint it again with Alclad II Chrome. It's absolutely amazing, but not easy to achieve, as black base need to be flawless and as glossy as possible.

While looking for the Alclad picture, found this:

Atlanta Car Model Enthusiasts - Chrome Paint Test: Killer Chrome vs. Alclad II vs. Spaz Stix
Thanks Bart

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What Bart said, but instead of Chrome, I would of said Stainless steel.

Ian M

A

AVB99

Thanks to Bart and Ian. Should the black gloss paint be Alclad black gloss please? And must the primer also be of the same manufactuer?

I'm in no hurry though. I won't get a chance to really start on this until June as I'm entering silly season in my work.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nope! Many people use Humbrol enamel as the gloss black. I would just say that I would be extra careful as Alclad is a 'hot' lacquer and if you put to much down it can attack the Humbrol. HOWEVER as the idea with Alclad is to go very lightly it should not be a problem.

Also if you don't know already, you can forget the nice and even passes left to right, as with normal paints. Just dust it on very lightly in ALL directions and WATCH all the time. The moment it looks like it is getting there, stop and have a good look.

The ONLY secret with Alclad is to know when to stop. Give it to much and the effect is lost and it just looks like any other paint.

Should you be interested, try it out on a bit of plastic. A 4 inch square of plastic card is ideal. Prime it and when dry give it the following treatment:

Paint bands as follows. leave one just primer. Then do a matt black then a glossy one. The last stripe can be any other colour you like to use as a primer. Let those dry. Cover 3/4 of the test piece and spray the exposed 1/4 the same way you normally would paint it. The next 1/4 spray with very light criss-cross strokes in all directions. The next 1/4 give it a light rub with fine wet and dry, some up and down, some left to right and spray very lightly again... the last 1/4 leave as it is so you can remember which undercoat you used.

Ian M

A

AVB99

\ said:
Nope! Many people use Humbrol enamel as the gloss black. I would just say that I would be extra careful as Alclad is a 'hot' lacquer and if you put to much down it can attack the Humbrol. HOWEVER as the idea with Alclad is to go very lightly it should not be a problem.Also if you don't know already, you can forget the nice and even passes left to right, as with normal paints. Just dust it on very lightly in ALL directions and WATCH all the time. The moment it looks like it is getting there, stop and have a good look.

The ONLY secret with Alclad is to know when to stop. Give it to much and the effect is lost and it just looks like any other paint.

Should you be interested, try it out on a bit of plastic. A 4 inch square of plastic card is ideal. Prime it and when dry give it the following treatment:

Paint bands as follows. leave one just primer. Then do a matt black then a glossy one. The last stripe can be any other colour you like to use as a primer. Let those dry. Cover 3/4 of the test piece and spray the exposed 1/4 the same way you normally would paint it. The next 1/4 spray with very light criss-cross strokes in all directions. The next 1/4 give it a light rub with fine wet and dry, some up and down, some left to right and spray very lightly again... the last 1/4 leave as it is so you can remember which undercoat you used.

Ian M
Thank you Ian. I've never used Alclad so I look forward to another nightmare experience! Why can't things be easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

W

Waffen Bucks

Yeah very very useful info here. Been thinking of using the Alclad on a F1 car exhaust system.

If i were to prime and then gloss an area, then use the alclad (i.e. stainless steel), could i then use another alclad colour on top of that?

I woud be trying to get that discolouration in the exhaust pipes where you get the gold, pewter tones.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm...

Alclad do a collection of "hot metal" colours; transparent colours that can be used to replicate the effect you are after Andrew. I find that they work OK, I have yet to have a go at a full blown Alclad Engine and Exhaust. never really got into model bikes.

Just spray the Alclad metal when its dry and had time to harden off, you just spray the transparent colours as needed. They can also be mixed the same way as the metal colours can.

Ian M