What do people recommend for nose weights?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I need to add some weight to the font of the floats of my Arado 196.

What would people advise for this?

C

CDW

I've used these materials for weighting various models in the past.

Lead shot (fishing)

Lead shot (shotgun)

Blue tack / white tack

Plasticene

Sand (or birdgrit) and PVA glue mix.

Hope that helps Barry

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Fishing weights and a dollop of araldite works for me.

IanM

G

GazB

I have a roll of that that fake window leading which I picked up on the cheap on ebay - it's easily cut to size & has the benefit of being sticky backed so it doesn't end up rattling about

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks for your suggestions - I have ordered some fishing weights from Amazon.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Barry I used fishing weights padded with some foam in the floats for my Arado. Make sure you get at least 30g in each float as far forward as possible you will need it especially if you decide to have the wings folded.

Vaughan

View attachment 47987

IMG_0146.jpg

A

AJay

I use fishing weights pushed into yellow-tac. Strangely every supermarket stocks fishing gear in France :smiling3:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thank you Vaughan, will do.

I have decided to have the wings down and the engine 'buttoned up' as I prefer to see and appreciate the lines of the aircraft. This model is going together like a dream, even the bits I see in reviews that are considered problematical so far seem to have just slotted into place!!! My first Revell kit since the 70's and blimey, they really have improved this one is going together easier, in fact, than the ZM Skyraider.....

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Barry I was amazed at the fit, despite the little niggles I had with the wing roots and lower fuselage, as well as the detail. Revell have come a long way and are very good value for money. What's your approach going to be as far as the rigging? the method I used worked very well.

Vaughan

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I am using fishing line. I have drilled holes and have the 'wires' securely fixed into the bottom of the fuselage with plenty of length temporarily taped up to keep them together and out of the way. I will attach the tops of the floats and then fix the rigging, attaching the bottom of the floats when done. That is the idea anyway!!!! From memory I think you did something similar?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Fishing weights of two or three sizes to create a tight fit in the relevant compartment of the model. No need for any kind of Tac or glue.

Can't be simpler than that!

Cheers

Steve