What do you buy else where?

N

Netboy

\ said:
Just to say a little thanks to John and inform recently joined members.
I live in the Channel Isles which entails John sending anything I order by land sea and air.

It is very rare that I do not get a delivery within 24 hours of ordering. Some have been within 18 hours.

That is about 400 miles on land and another 150 miles over the sea. Does not get better.

On stock. John stocks high quality stuff. Before I found SMF I used Emodels and tohers & became tired with

some of the quality of the goods stocked. Numerous things I have replaced. Tired old soft aluminium

tweezers for John's quality sprung metal as an instance. Vallejo paint is cheaper and on top of that

you get points which you can use on future purchases.

The forum is full of seasoned model makers and John takes note of their wants and finds those tools

and goods which are not up to scratch. Also items to take into stock which have been recommended

by members.

Also you do get on this forum a wealthy of free incredible advice from experienced model makers

from all over the globe. Incredible that replies for help are measured in minutes coming in thick and fast.

A note to John can he get what you want is answered by return.

Free. This forum is run and paid for by John, all the equipment upgrades and daily tweaking, to keep us happy on the

best forum that I have experienced. So all in all you are on to a good thing. Just to say the forum was set

up before the shop.

Laurie
Just wanted to tag on to Laurie's post here. I live on the better, sister isle of Guernsey so have the same problems. We do have a lovely LHS, however being small they don't stock everything I need. They can't order 'special' paints in very easily as they have the same problems (apparently) as us hobbyists. I like to use Alclad 2 for my metal colours and technically, as I understand it, they can not be posted to Guernsey. Other shops have simply refused to send such paints to me, their websites block sales to the Channel Isles.

E-models were helpful, they have sent parcels with paints solvents etc to me but have marked them on the packet as SURFACE MAIL ONLY. However they have also sent paints in an unmarked (apart from the address obviously) parcel. Both have got through ok.

Is this something you could help me with John?

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
Is this something you could help me with John?
I could do, the postage would be a little more than my standard price, currently I charge less than Royal Mail because I get discounted rates, but sending it that way I would have to go to the post office and pay the same as everyone else.

L

Laurie

\ said:
I live on the better, sister isle of Guernsey so have the same problems.
!"£$%^&*()_+++_)(*&^%$£"!&*_)(*&^%$£!"£$%^&*( :sad:

N

Netboy

Cool. I've got some bits and pieces stored in my basket. Obviously if I just clicked on complete order the money would be wrong. Would it be best to ring you or send an e mail?

D

Dave1973

The channel islands? Arent they just chunks of France trying to be more angleterre?

N

Netboy

\ said:
The channel islands? Arent they just chunks of France trying to be more angleterre?
Oi, watch it. We conquered you lot in 1066.

L

Laurie

\ said:
Dave Dave so wrong. The Channel Isles are the basis of the British Isles. William's father Rollo

incorporated the Islands into Normandy.

William the Conqueror the "owner of Normandy and the Channel Isles" beat the living daylights out of

Harold the King of England. Therefore Normandy and the Channel Isles owned the British Isles.

The Channel Isles declared their allegiance to William King of England.

Matter of interest. William had two brothers a his lieutenants. They were sent to control Scotland and

the islands as High Stewards eventually the name turning to Stewart. One married King Bruce's

Daughter and then became king and hence the Stewart Dynasty of which I am one.

Interesting that the two Stewart Brothers came from Dol and Dinan. Dol near seeing distance from

Jersey. Dinan not far hence and where we kept a caravan to enhance our hold on Normandy !

Even more interesting. My maternal grandfather was a Shetlander (the furthest north of Britain) I now

occupy? Jersey the furthest south of Britain.

Dave your reference to Angleterre will be appreciated by the French.

I prefer England as I am an English man and very proud of that.

Laurie:smiling3:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
Would it be best to ring you or send an e mail?
Send me an email and I will send you a PayPal invoice.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Oh and make sure you are logged in to your account when adding to your basket then I will be able to see it.

N

Netboy

\ said:
Oh and make sure you are logged in to your account when adding to your basket then I will be able to see it.
Hi John, just wanted to let you know the parcel arrived yesterday (17th).

Many thanks and apologies for not chatting when you phoned but was up to my eyeballs with installation of a new system at work and it was not going well......

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
was up to my eyeballs with installation of a new system at work and it was not going well......
I know that feeling, I moved the shop to a new server yesterday, what a nightmare, all fixed now, good to hear your order arrived safe and sound.

J

John Rixon

I have to say that the Scale Model Shop is the only online shopping experience I have had, where you really feel like a proper customer! I use(d) amazon a lot, for many things, but got caught up countless times by not noticing that I'd just ordered something from Japan or China and would wait 5 weeks for it to arrive! Not to mention their highly dodgy attitude towards corporate tax.

A personal service goes a long way - nice one John (equivalent of "Great Build")!

N

Netboy

Any chance of getting one of these? I'd love to build this!

http://www.scalemates.com/kits/573177-modelsvit-72014-bartini-beriev-vva-14

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
Any chance of getting one of these? I'd love to build this!
I've looked at a couple of my suppliers sites but none of them show that one.

N

Netboy

\ said:
I've looked at a couple of my suppliers sites but none of them show that one.
No worries, thanks for looking. To be honest I think I'd be shot if I bought any more models! I'm reduced to sneaking them in nowadays. ;)

Mrs Netboy doesn't understand the necessity for a stash.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I don't sell any spray cans, RM won't take them and last time I sent a spray by DHL they rang me and told me to go to the depot to take it out or they wouldn't deliver it, so it's not worth the hassle.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I try to buy as much as I can from the local model shop....... They have mostly disappeared and I like to support it where I can

T

teejay

BanDai stuff, especially their Star Wars kits and their Gundam stuff.
3M face masks and the filters for spraying paint.
Windsor & Newton brushes, especially Series 7.

House extension for my ever increasing hobby/addiction ;)

Trevor