What I've Been Up To Pt.1 - Y-Wing

D

dubster72

Nice one, this is very impressive with that slightly worn yet cared-for look. Only one question though-would the laser/ion cannons leave soot marks on the nose?

Patrick

F

Fenlander

The firing of the laser in the vacuum of space would cause local ionisation of microscopic dust particles naturally found in that environment. As the craft flew into these ionised particles, they would adhere to the first thing that touched them, in this case the craft flying into them. In effect this would give staining similar in appearance to burning cordite fumes. (totally made up but who cares lol)

Great looking build looking as realistic as it could be being a sci-fi craft, love it.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I too wonder whether Patrick is being serious about the powder burns........?!!!!

Having never seen a real 'Y Wing' fighter or seen the effects the laser cannon would have on the nose of the craft when used in a far off galaxy, I am not qualified to add to the debate, and like you Graham I don't care. It's the finish as the builder perceives it that counts.

What I can say beav is that this is some model, well put together and painted. It is also nice to see something different instead of armour and aircraft.

Well done on a good job.

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
great job beav, well done, cheers tony

D

dubster72

\ said:
I too wonder whether Patrick is being serious about the powder burns........?!!!!Having never seen a real 'Y Wing' fighter or seen the effects the laser cannon would have on the nose of the craft when used in a far off galaxy, I am not qualified to add to the debate, and like you Graham I don't care. It's the finish as the builder perceives it that counts.

What I can say beav is that this is some model, well put together and painted. It is also nice to see something different instead of armour and aircraft.

Well done on a good job.

Ron
Totally serious Ron! As an avid Star Wars nut (with all the PC space sim games!) I was wondering about the cannon discharge question as one day I'll end up building something like this! Though probably not as good.

Patrick

B

beav1013

quite the debate the y-wing has sparked. I'm glad i could inspire such deep thoughts! i'm going to go with yes, they would leave powder burns on the nose. i based some of the weathering on the picture of the box. and since it's an officially licensed star wars product, george lucas says so. so yes...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
quite the debate the y-wing has sparked. I'm glad i could inspire such deep thoughts! i'm going to go with yes, they would leave powder burns on the nose. i based some of the weathering on the picture of the box. and since it's an officially licensed star wars product, george lucas says so. so yes...
beav, never mind George Lucas...Fenlander and spanner570 say yes! ( And the Man from Delmonte) LOL!

R

redknight96

Fantastic work! How long were you working on the Y-Wing?

And whose to say the burn marks weren't the result of action within the atmoshpere of Yavin or Alderaan before it got toasted? LOL

Last edited:
B

beav1013

thanks red. it put together really easily, so i think i did the whole thing in a weekend. then painting, decaling and weathering took about a week or so.