What paints for personnel?

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
So in the pipeline is some Luftwaffe personnel to paint and maybe some RAF a little later down the line.

I use Vallejo model air and mr hobby at the mo but does anyone have any suggestions for figure painting? Maybe even sets? I'll be getting them from John more than likely.

Thanks in advance

Phil

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Phil, when you say personnel do you mean air crew or ground crew? Both varied a lot and various combinations are possible. The time, more so for air crew/pilots, is also important.

Cheers

Steve

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Hi Phil, when you say personnel do you mean air crew or ground crew? Both varied a lot and various combinations are possible. The time, more so for air crew/pilots, is also important.
Cheers

Steve
Yeah sorry Steve good point, at the moment late wwii ground and air, just wondering if any brands or sets are worth looking into?

Cheers

Phil

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I would have thought that you would already have the colours required.

For the ground crew work clothes either the two piece 'Drillichanzug' or one piece 'Arbeitsschutzanzug' came in a raw cotton colour (rohgrau) which varied from almost white to a light canvass colour and also in a more practical black, though a very dark blue/grey looks better on model figures Both could be lined or unlined for summer and winter wear. I have seen plenty of photographs of personnel wearing a combination of the two colours of the two piece outfit, which makes for a bit more interest.

For pilots it is a bit more complicated. Fighter pilots wore a bewildering variety of equipment, often including personal items, particularly leather jackets. Generally bomber or transport crews wore the issued flight suits.

As for colour, again there was much variation. Most common would be a grey/blue material and a brownish colour. A less common material was grey/green in colour. In April 1941 the production of one piece flight suits was halted and two piece combinations (Flieger-Shutzanzug Kombination) became standard shortly thereafter. They came in various forms (summer, winter, heated etc) but look very similar, certainly on a model figure. Late in the war some all leather flying suits were issued to fighter pilots these were in black leather or more rarely brown.

When you have some details I can tell you what would be most likely for your guys :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Forgot to say that if you are going tropical the often seen shorts were actually part of the equipment issued for sporting use. The Nazis were keen on sports as we all know!

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
I would have thought that you would already have the colours required.
For the ground crew work clothes either the two piece 'Drillichanzug' or one piece 'Arbeitsschutzanzug' came in a raw cotton colour (rohgrau) which varied from almost white to a light canvass colour and also in a more practical black, though a very dark blue/grey looks better on model figures Both could be lined or unlined for summer and winter wear. I have seen plenty of photographs of personnel wearing a combination of the two colours of the two piece outfit, which makes for a bit more interest.

For pilots it is a bit more complicated. Fighter pilots wore a bewildering variety of equipment, often including personal items, particularly leather jackets. Generally bomber or transport crews wore the issued flight suits.

As for colour, again there was much variation. Most common would be a grey/blue material and a brownish colour. A less common material was grey/green in colour. In April 1941 the production of one piece flight suits was halted and two piece combinations (Flieger-Shutzanzug Kombination) became standard shortly thereafter. They came in various forms (summer, winter, heated etc) but look very similar, certainly on a model figure. Late in the war some all leather flying suits were issued to fighter pilots these were in black leather or more rarely brown.

When you have some details I can tell you what would be most likely for your guys :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Forgot to say that if you are going tropical the often seen shorts were actually part of the equipment issued for sporting use. The Nazis were keen on sports as we all know!
Thanks for that Steve that's really helpful mate, done a bit of research myself and it turns out I do have some of the colours needed just missing the flesh colours ect. Probably just stick with the same brands then, I spose it doesn't make any difference.

Cheers

Phil

P.s the Germans didn't do well at sport tonight and what makes it even sweeter is I had a nice if not rareish bet and cleared up. That's the paint paid for and a new pair of footy boots in it for the boy! Happy days.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Glad I could help! Remember not to get to caught up in an exact colour conundrum as not only was there variation in the material from source but as everybody since Adam and Eve knows, once you wash clothes the colour will start to alter too :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve