What wire for detailing?

Twinny123

First Name
Liam
Hi everyone,

I am looking at adding some extra detail in the cockpit and engine bays, and was trying to find out which types of wire, or other material is best for this.

I've seen thin piano wire, but wanted to know if this is easy to shape?

I'm looking for something that is easy to shape, and wont spring back once bent, so any suggestions will be most helpful!

Thanks!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
First Name
Dave
There's lots of folks who use lead wire. It's flexible and non springy and can be painted but not very strong.

This company makes a wide range of sizes:

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
First Name
Ron
Liam, the copper wire from the innards of electric cable is superb. Any size you want.

Free too! Me happy...:smiling3:

beowulf

Styrene Bodger
First Name
Paul
visit somewhere like hobbycraft or the range......look at wire for making jewellery with......comes in all sorts of gauges and colours

Thorbrand

First Name
Alex
You could probably use solder, that can come in a variety of sizes but very delicate. Otherwise see if you have some old cables lying around and strip the copper out. Some of the multicore cables have very thin wire in as i discovered once when i broke a pair of headphones

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
First Name
Ron
........see if you have some old cables lying around and strip the copper out. Some of the multicore cables have very thin wire in as i discovered once when i broke a pair of headphones
That's a good idea, Alex.......:tongue-out3::thumb2:!

Steve O

First Name
Steve
Fuse wire for me, comes in many sizes, stays where it is when bent and good to paint.

Twinny123

First Name
Liam
Cheers for the help!
Managed to find some old wires so think I’ll be using them!
I’ll make sure I post some pictures of my build!

BarryW

SMF Poster
First Name
Barry
I would second using lead wire due to how easy it is to shape. It has no tensile strength so some of the other suggestion would be best in area that are vulnerable or where some strength is needed.

yak face

First Name
tony
Fuse wire , copper wire stripped from old cables , guitar strings , solder , i ve used all these and each has its own merits, fuse wire has the advantage of being dirt cheap and usually comes with a selection of thicknesses ( amperage) on the card