Whats everyones fav movie to do with airplanes

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I fell asleep half way through Pearl Harbour took too long to get going, Soul Plane is quite amusing, but my all time favourite is Airplane the movie (1980) and to this day after watching Airplane 2 The Sequel (1982) I still go up to automatic doors and go shhhhh to make them open, I do it everyday going in to work, now how sad is that :sobbing:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
John LOL !!! I burst out laughing when I read that,it just goes to show you the effect of these films.

I agree Pearl Harbour was too drawn out in the beginning sequences,a film has to grab you in the early stages.

B

Bunkerbarge

OK It's time to ruffle a couple of feathers!

I actually like Pearl Harbour and I particularly like the way the scene is set slowly and builds up to the climax of the attack. I think too many movies open with a powerfull scene only to die a death after that and let your attention wander.

Anyway I really enjoyed the aircraft scenes and, as I happen to think Kate Beckinsale is drop dead gorgeous, the movie couldn't do much wrong for me.

If you want the balance though my top one would always be "Battle of Britain" as it came out in my teenage years and left such a powerfull impression on me that remained with me until I watched it again only recently on DVD on a 42" plasma screen. I actually expected to be dissapointed with the advancement of effects and technology over the years but I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

I also love the Dam Busters and 633 Squadron along with everyone else.

Does anyone remember the TV series "Piece of Cake?" I recently got hold of an American DVD Boxed set and watched the whole lot again. It looks a bit dated and the story is a bit cheesy in places but, call me old fashioned, I can watch film of Spitfires landing and taking off all day long and still enjoy more!

(I hope Charlotte forgives me for Pearl Harbour now)

N

Nigel.D

Of course she does Richard it wasnt your fault it was the Japanese!!!!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thats fair comment Richard,yes I did watch 'Piece of Cake' had no idea that it was on DVD these days ? speaking of TV related films do you remember 'Flambards' all about early pioneer flying ( Flambards village in Helston bequethed some of the artifacts from this ) then 'Wings' another TV series on WW1 flying,I own one of the big Albatross C.1 biplane models from this one,purchased it as a wreck and rebuilt her to fly again.

There are probably more long since forgotton,just remembered one,the 'Planemakers' for this they built a realistic full sized jet aircraft and placed it in the static park at the SBAC Show at Farnborough,it was so realistic that very few knew it was a mock up.

Any more favourites out there ?

N

Nigel.D

Oh god yes

How about

We'l meet again

the pathfinders

the aeronauts (remember mirage 3's french dubbed into english)

the whirly birds

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** Real nostalgia,Whirlybirds ( a Desilue production ) was an epic series from yesteryear,I used to rush home from school to catch it,my model Bell 47G would be put to all the tasks done by Chuck and his mate,why dont they do a DVD of this one ? it was in black & white as well,recently a signed photograph of these two realised mega bucks on e-bay.

Oh god yesHow about

We'l meet again

the pathfinders

the aeronauts (remember mirage 3's french dubbed into english)

the whirly birds

A

AerynPk

bunkerbarge i do forgive you dont worry everyone has different apinions so i wouldnt worry about it and thanks guys for posting up everything its nice to see what people think of what films they like. cheers everybody

N

Nigel.D

I bet Richard Says Blue Thunder Next God it must be boring onboard lol !!!!!

I suppose hes had enough of the scenery (i wish)

Hey Richard How about a thread re how many times you have seen a shuttle launch !!!!! (green with envy) In my store today the highlight was 7 yes 7 theivin pikeys trying to steal purses from customers and an Irish decendant type screaming at me that she had been assualted and demanding compensation ???? oh the joys of retail !!!!!

B

Bunkerbarge

OK then if you want to see something pretty amazing have a look at the pictures below. The first two I took from the top of the ship, the early morning one was the best as the sun had only just risen.

The last one is unfortunately the one that broke up on re-entry. I didn't actually take the picture but I watched it from the top of the local fire training school.

There is quite a few seconds delay in seeing the plume of smoke and the flash of the flame before the roar of the engines rolls across the landscape. On a clear day you can actually see the booster rockets seperate as the trail forms three distinctly different paths.

View attachment 13310

View attachment 13311

View attachment 13312

08-03-01-05ShuttleDiscovery5.jpg

19-04-01-01ShuttleEndeavour1.jpg

LAUNCH 3.JPG

Last edited:
N

No.6

'The Blue Max'!

With the late George Peppard. (bring on the A Team!)

Some fantsatic arial scenes with Fokker Dr1's !!! (I know, I know, he got most of his victories in an albatros, and Manfred shows up in the movie with the pure glowing red DR1 and blond hair! lol!) but perhaps its a slight echo of Manfred Von Richthofen's life from the trenches (even tho Richthoven was in the cavelry) to achiving the 'Pour le merite'. some fantastic flying scenes!

You would never get BA on one o them planes Fool!!

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** Richard these are great shots,what a unique opportunity that you had there,many thanks for sending and sharing them here.

OK then if you want to see something pretty amazing have a look at the pictures below. The first two I took from the top of the ship, the early morning one was the best as the sun had only just risen. The last one is unfortunately the one that broke up on re-entry. I didn't actually take the picture but I watched it from the top of the local fire training school.

There is quite a few seconds delay in seeing the plume of smoke and the flash of the flame before the roar of the engines rolls across the landscape. On a clear day you can actually see the booster rockets seperate as the trail forms three distinctly different paths.