What's that coming over the hill...

First Name
Alex
This is my first ever diorama build, so please be kind!

I used a Tamiya German machine gun team, Tamiya sand bag kit and various woodland scenics materials. The small surface bumps were made from polystyrene.. probably not the best option as they were very difficult to work with and I would consider using something a bit more sturdy in future. The base is a cut off from a laminated floorboard and a fine grain sandpaper for the layers to adhere to. I was going to put a tree in there but I think it would have cluttered the space too much so, I've got a half built tree that I'm waiting to use for my next one.

DSC01088_zpsdx9posva.jpg

DSC01093_zpsqlpgrbo9.jpg

DSC01099_zpsp0z407aj.jpg

DSC01101_zpsyvdvzfnb.jpg

DSC01147_zpshgej0fl8.jpg

DSC01149_zpsawc50uho.jpg

DSC01145_zpsnfxvgbyc.jpg

DSC01146_zps50udbein.jpg

DSC01142_zpsdtocgkcv.jpg

DSC01141_zps9kpo4lsa.jpg

Ps. for the orange flowers I used chili powder and a bit of salt for the white ones !

james pithouse

Models are fun just ask kpnuts
First Name
James
bloody good bring more pics I bet it made you sweat and making you sneeze put it on as flowers on the diorama

Last edited:
D

dubster72

That's very good for your first attempt! The figures & the MG are painted very well.

Although I personally don't make a lot of dioramas, I could offer some constructive feedback if you're ok with that?

First Name
Alex
That's very good for your first attempt! The figures & the MG are painted very well.

Although I personally don't make a lot of dioramas, I could offer some constructive feedback if you're ok with that?

Thanks, i'm always open to feedback. I'm definitely looking to do another diorama in the near future although on a slightly bigger scale.

D

dubster72

Thanks, i'm always open to feedback. I'm definitely looking to do another diorama in the near future although on a slightly bigger scale.

OK well firstly, leave a border around the edges of the base. This will frame the dio & make it look better. If you're using wood without much of a grain, iron-on edging strip can be applied around the base. Personally I use picture frames - £5 each, but worth it IMHO.

For the scenery, junk the Woodland Scenics stuff. It's fine for HO railway layouts, but not for 1/35 scale. Instead, for grass use faux fur or static grass. It's quite simple to build a homemade applicator. Bushes can be made from rubberised horsehair & dried herbs. These will give a much more natural look.

Don't use Tamiya sandbags! They're so unrealistic. Get some modelling clay like from DAS & make your own.

I'd also recommend searching on here for threads by Ron (spanner570). He's an excellent diorama builder & you'll pick up some top tips.

Cheers Patrick

First Name
Alex
OK well firstly, leave a border around the edges of the base. This will frame the dio & make it look better. If you're using wood without much of a grain, iron-on edging strip can be applied around the base. Personally I use picture frames - £5 each, but worth it IMHO.

For the scenery, junk the Woodland Scenics stuff. It's fine for HO railway layouts, but not for 1/35 scale. Instead, for grass use faux fur or static grass. It's quite simple to build a homemade applicator. Bushes can be made from rubberised horsehair & dried herbs. These will give a much more natural look.

Don't use Tamiya sandbags! They're so unrealistic. Get some modelling clay like from DAS & make your own.

I'd also recommend searching on here for threads by Ron (spanner570). He's an excellent diorama builder & you'll pick up some top tips.

Cheers Patrick

Thanks for your advice :smiling: yes a border! that's what this is missing, I'm definitely going to sort that out, I have a couple of old frames I could probably cut up and glue around the edges.

Regarding the sandbags, I know what you mean, I was half-minded to try and get some kind of hessian effect by using pin pricks or something like that but, to be honest as much as I like being a perfectionist that would have taken hours. I like the modeling clay idea, since each sandbag is not going to be the same shape, the clay would allow the bags to rest on each other properly and you get better flexibility with the clay to imprint a texture.

D

Doug Hughes

Good build, Alex - I love the figures especially. Chilli powder - yet another excellent reason never to put a completed diorama in your mouth!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great work for your first dio,Alex,real well done,with the figures never an easy one to paint,
dose look good,very well done,I like it,;)