Where Eagles Dare ?? Junkers Ju 52/3M

C

Caledonia

This is my new project started last week, and inspired by all the snow we have had recently. This is an old Kit, costing less that £10, and I must say it is certainly value for money with 93 parts. So far the kit fit has been superb, and I find the moulding exceptional with almost zero flash and the panel details very sharp. The Junkers Ju 52 fuselage and wing surfaces are covered in corrugations which is a challenge so I have elected to use mostly liquid cement (Plastic Weld). I have not used liquid cement before, but must say I am very impressed with this product. An interesting feature of the model is that the fuselage is in four pieces. For reference I have found the unofficial website ‘whereeaglesdare.com’ which gives a lot of screenshots of the Ju 52 and on Youtube you can find video segments of the Film, the escape is the best for aircraft shots. The last photo in my sequence shows the 10 parts forming one of the engines; the three engines are all different with respect to the manifolds. I have added a 20 pence piece to give some idea of scale on a couple of the drawings. Will post more photos next week. Derek

View attachment 21815

View attachment 21816

View attachment 21817

View attachment 21818

View attachment 21819

View attachment 21820

View attachment 21821

View attachment 21822

View attachment 21823

Ju 52 - 1.jpg

2-Ju52..jpg

3-Ju52..jpg

4-Ju524..jpg

5-Ju52..jpg

6-Ju52..jpg

7-Ju52..jpg

8-Ju52..jpg

9-Ju52..jpg

D

dubster72

Looks nice Derek, I think this will be an interesting build-do you have a bus to add to a snowy dio, perhaps? ;)

Patrick

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great idea for a dio derek, the kit looks really good , youre going to need some decal softener though,with those corrugations!! keep us informed with more pics,cheers tony

C

Caledonia

Thanks Gents,

Patrick, never thought of a Dio, will see how the Ju 52 comes out first.

Tony, Yes have a whole bottle of SOL waiting, but first I have to make my own decals, I have bought some Laser Printer Decal sheets. Incidentally have you seen the web site www.aviapress.com some very interesting Russian stuff.

Will post more pictures in about a week. Thanks Derek

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Looks like a nice kit and not bad for the price too. Great job you're doing, looking forward to this one.

Have fun, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Thanks Gents, Patrick, never thought of a Dio, will see how the Ju 52 comes out first.

Tony, Yes have a whole bottle of SOL waiting, but first I have to make my own decals, I have bought some Laser Printer Decal sheets. Incidentally have you seen the web site www.aviapress.com some very interesting Russian stuff.

Will post more pictures in about a week. Thanks Derek
hi derek,yes ive had a root round this site in the past,loads of interesting books ,but the kits seem a bit pricey ,maybe its cause theyre all in us dollars, but still seem steep . cheers tony

C

Caledonia

\ said:
hi derek,yes ive had a root round this site in the past,loads of interesting books ,but the kits seem a bit pricey ,maybe its cause theyre all in us dollars, but still seem steep . cheers tony
Tony, yes they are expensive but a nice listing for rare kits. Have you seen the website below, they seem to stock everything, and at more reasonable prices. Have been looking for an SU 27K (SU 33), they have two at 1/72 a Tamiya and a Zvezva. Do you know anything about the quality of the Zvezva kits? Regards Derek

obchod.valka.cz

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi derek thanks for the link. as for zvezda ,ive read good and bad things in equal measure ,never having done anything of theirs myself. The best thing is to have a look on hyperscales website or modelling madness and see if anyones done a review of this particular kit.I think in general the newer the zvezda kit the more chance of it being ok ie. the recent 1/144 il 86 and 1/48 la5's are supposed to be great . hope this helps , cheers tony

N

noble

Hi Derek i like this kit it is rather unusual never seen this in a kit before, and i iagree it would look nice in a dio. How did you find the plasweld, i use it for tricky bits that need to be stuck together good for boat hulls, anyway really nice job so far keep the pics coming.

scott

C

Caledonia

Hi Scott, Thanks for the comments; as for Plastic Weld I am totally converted fantastic stuff. With all the corrugations on this model any other type of adhesive would have been a messy disaster. This kit is a bit like a limited run kit with very few location pins. The moulding is also very thin in places for the detail. I like the Plastic Weld because you can hold say part of the wing and cement a centimeter, let it take a hold which takes two seconds, then move onto the next cm. and work your way around the seam that way for a perfect fit. The plastic weld is also good for filling in hair line gaps, after cementing is finished, keep going over the gap area with a fine brush and it melts the plastic locally which then fills in the gap. As for the kit, I have now finished the fuselage, fitted the wings and tail horizontal stabilizers, and have NOT used any filler. Its the best kit I have ever made - not me Heller. It is still available, let me know if you are interested, and I can give you a contact if you want. Regards Derek

N

noble

Hi Derek that sounds cool send that contact if you could please.

scott

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Hi Derek that sounds cool send that contact if you could please.scott
Scott, Have sent you contact via PM. Regards Derek

C

Caledonia

Made better progress than I thought, A few more photos showing the progress so far. (WED = Where Eagles Dare)

Photos 10 and 11 show the Engine components being hand painted and partially assembled. The collector manifold has been left unpainted.

Photo 12 shows that the kit comes with adjustable flats and ailerons.

Photo 13 A dry fit suggested that a better fit would be possible if the upper half of the wing were fixed to the fuselage before the lower wing half was jointed. Unconventional but it works for this kit.

Photo 14 shows there are no gaps between the fuselage and the upper wing joint, the kits that good.

Photo 15 and 16 shows how the aerials/direction finder? on the WED aircraft was carved from the kit sprue moulding inlet stumps.

Photo 17 and 18 shows the wings and tail attached to the model; the flaps etc have been left off until painting

Photo 19 shows the aerials in Photos 15 & 16 added to the fuselage, also a dome seen on photos from WED, this was also hand carved from scrap sprue.

Photo 20 model ready for painting.

Will post more photos in a few days. Regards Derek

View attachment 21912

View attachment 21913

View attachment 21914

View attachment 21915

View attachment 21916

View attachment 21917

View attachment 21918

View attachment 21919

View attachment 21920

View attachment 21921

View attachment 21922

10-Ju52..jpg

11-Ju52..jpg

12-Ju52..jpg

13-Ju52..jpg

14-ju52..jpg

15-Ju52..jpg

16-Ju52..jpg

17-Ju52..jpg

18-Ju52..jpg

19-Ju52..jpg

20-Ju52..jpg

C

Caledonia

Painted the Ju52 top surfaces Olive Green and attempted to mask off the complicated camo pattern, but very quickly gave up. Applied Tamiya Fine Surface Primer, Grey then White to cover the Green and finished with about 3 coats of Lifecolor White Acrylic. Will leave to dry for 48 Hrs. In the meantime have drawn up the Decals and printed them off on a Decal water slide sheet, see attached photo, have made spares as I anticipate problems with the corrugations on the model surfaces. Tomorrow I will brush paint the upper surfaces with two coats of Microscale Micro Gloss and leave 24 Hrs, then attempt to hand paint the camo with enamel paint. Will post more photos later in the week. Derek

View attachment 21996

View attachment 21997

21-Ju52..jpg

22.Ju52..jpg

N

noble

Have to say Derek i like the progress you've made it is coming on well please keep posting those pics, sorry it has taken so long for me to reply it has been a little manic around here and haven't had much time. lovely work mate keep it up.

scott

C

Caledonia

Hi Scott, Thanks for viewing, have attached a couple more pictures below. The Camo is now finished, and the home made Decals went on a treat, strong but nice and thin. They bedded into the corrugations nicely with Micro Set. Started to finish paint the engines and fit them and the wheels, then some weathering, a few bibs and bobs and a top coat. Will post the final photos under Aircraft Photos in a couple of days. Derek

View attachment 22136

View attachment 22137

View attachment 22138

23-Ju52..jpg

24-Ju52..jpg

25-Ju52..jpg

F

Fenlander

This is coming on a treat. Great to see a scheme that is a bit different. I think you have picked a great subject and are modeling it very well. Must have a go at the homemade decals someday. What do you do if you wanted a white? as in a roundel of red, white & blue?

C

Caledonia

Hi Graham, Thanks for viewing. If you have access to a colour Laser Printer then I guess you can have white as the Laser Decal Paper has a clear film if nothing is printed on it. If you have an Colour Ink Jet Printer then you can buy a different paper for this type of Printer and its background is white. See the link below for more detail, an excellent company to deal with. Derek

Print your own decals using your inkjet or laser printer, UK supplier

N

noble

Derek this is looking way cool i love the camouflage and the home made decals are fantastic, it's only my opinion but you have to put this in a dio from the movie, keep em comin peace out.

scott