Which Mark Spitfire for Battle of Britain?

S

Stevekir

I will soon be starting the Airfix 1:48 Spit, A05115A. The kit covers MkI, Ia and IIa

Wikipedia states that the version during the Battle of Britain (defined as 10 July to 31 October 1940) was the MkI. Does anyone agree or disagree?

Thanks.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
All three cover the BoB ;)

The Supermarine Spitfire

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mk I was the most numerous type though the Mk II arrived in time.

The first Mk II was delivered to 61 Squadron on 22 August 1940. A total of 195 had been accepted by the RAF by the end of October,so you could say that they were just in time to qualify for the BoB.

All Mk IIs were built at Castle Bromwich and were very similar externally to a Mk I. There was a small fairing on the port side engine cowling of a Mk II which housed the new Coffman cartridge starter for the Merlin XII which had replaced the electric starter of the Merlin II.

All Mk I Spitfires were built as Mk IAs. Some had cannon fitted retrospectively. To convert a set of A wings to accept two cannon cost £369 16s. To convert to the two cannon/four .303 configuration cost £640 11s. Both were designated as Mk IBs.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tecdes

Spitfire - Main

Matter of interest this site, some very obsessional types, got together the history of as many Spitfires as possible. Where made & what happened to as many as they could find. An incredible effort.

Laurie

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

The Spitfire was a Mk 1 at the start but a mk 5 towards the end.

Cheers

Airfix Modeller Freak

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
The Spitfire was a Mk 1 at the start but a mk 5 towards the end.Cheers

Airfix Modeller Freak
Well it sort of depends when you call the end of the BoB. The British tend to think of it as ending on September 15th (1940 ),Battle of Britain Day.We certainly don't consider it to be part of the disastrous offensive operations mounted across the channel in 1941.

The Germans take a much longer view and consider it part of an extensive "western" campaign,including the Battle of France,and running on into 1941.

From a British/Commonwealth perspective the BoB was over before the Spitfire V was introduced in early 1941,but that's only one way of looking at it :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve