Which Metallic Paint?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm in the process of starting a Trumpeter1/48 Mig-21MF, and I would like to model the version with overall 'silver', 'aluminium' ,or 'natural metal', as it is variously described.
I have used Alclad II in the past, but I can't put up with the stink ( I live in a mid-floor flat ), so I want to try a water based acrylic. Can anyone recommend, or not recommend a particular brand? Obviously I'll be using my airbrush to apply, with which I'm reasonably proficient, and can adjust the spray pressure easily.
Dave

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Dave, I've used Vallejo Model Air 71.062 Aluminum and 71.063 Silver recently with good results(see tail):
20180318_144820_resized.jpg
Ready to use from the bottle, just make sure to have something like a 0.4mm needle in your AB, as the paint is quite thick...
It can be thinned of course.
Fernando

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'd go with Steve on this Dave.
I'd recommend a play first to get the hang of it, but can't see you having any problem. If I can do it............
John.
Sorry Fernando missed you as I posted.

First Name
Marcello
Hi Dave
I’ve. Ever used Valejo’s metal so wouldn’t cooment. I am using AK true metal and must say the results are impressive. It’s not acrylic but thry don’t stink

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've airbrushed a couple of Vallejo metallics, just thinned a little with water.

Pete

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Humbrol metal coat don't pong as bad and can be buffed to a nice shine. Sprays quite nice as well.
Or there is always the metal foil solution...

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I ordered some Vallejo Aluminium Metal Color last night, so I'll wait and see. I do have some Bare-Metal self adhesive foil, I don't fancy covering the whole plane with it, but maybe a few panels for variations in tone..................

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave .
I'd like to see the foil used introducedI can imagine what you mean .
John

D

Doug Hughes

Another vote for the Vallejo metals here. I've also found them safe to mask (Tamiya tape stuck onto the back of my hand first to get rid of some of the stickiness), so you can vary individual panels with different shades.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The consensus seems to be... they're all good!
To add to the list above, I've used Revell Aqua, thinned with their own thinners, and it seems pretty good.

Pete