Which Model Tiger to get? History info needed

J

Jimd0586

Hey all. First time poster and first time diorama maker. I would like to make a June 1944 diorama of a tiger in the Bocage Normandy region of France. Any ideas what model would work best for this? Would this be a late production model? My goal was to have the tank with some grenadiers on the ground being directed and maybe running around. Any sets of german troops that would work best?

Additionally, would two tanks on one diorama be a little too busy? I'm guessing so. My next model will likely be a Sherman... either a british Firefly (i think they were used in Normandy) or an American Sherman, although I don't know when the later larger gunned US Shermans began being used in Europe.

Any suggestions? Thanks all.

Jim

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

A good starter point would be which scale? 1/35, 1/48 or 1/72, or the crazy 1/18 kits that are out there?
Cheers

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I have the Accademy 1/35 Tiger ( 131) which is the captured one that's at Bovington Museum ( think this is the only original Tiger 1 in existence that still runs.
The kit is a mid production. Tamiya di a nice kit bug I think dragon and Meng dl a good selection too.
There's lots of tiger buffs out there and on here so you'll never be short of advice

Regards

Robert

J

Jens Andrée

A good resource I've found on YouTube is the channel of Adam Mann
He's really into Tiger I and I don't think there's a kit out there that he hasn't built...?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbq6MuOPYQ96EUwKqJhocAQ

I'm currently building a Tamiya Tiger I of late production, model no 35216 with PE grilles 35217.
It fits the time period and the kit contains lots of extra parts so you can build a specific Tiger I depending on its features.
It doesn't contain decals for a 1944 June Normandy Tiger I however...
As someone who's a bit more junior in the game I like the newer Tamiya kits because their instructions, and build quality, is great.

A Wittman kit like Bob linked to would probably be perfect for you if it's a later one that includes those decals.

J

Jimd0586

Thanks to all you guys! Very helpful. Any recommendations for infantry? It's probably a simple google search, but with such a knowledge base here I thought I'd ask.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Jim
You need a late or poss mid Tiger 1 for Normandy. For authenticity you will also need to apply Zimmerit, as Normandy Tigers had this paste applied. If you want to be really authentic then you should collate good photographic reference of the machine you wish to build

In terms of infantry you've got a choice of many units: SS, Wehrmacht, Fallschirmjager even Luftwaffe units. But if it's grenadiers you're after then I'd probably go for SS troops. In Normandy you've many SS Divisions operating including Frundsberg (10th SS), Hohenstaufen (9th SS), Das Reich (2nd SS), HitlerJungend (12th SS) etc.
Moulding technology has moved on leaps and bounds over the last 10 years with many manufacturers producing excellent plastic figures. I still think that resin figures offer far more detail and tend to have better poses but these are pricier. Dragon do some excellent figures as do Miniart.

Have fun
Paul

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Hi there

I have used master box figures in the past and they have great painting guides include although ref pics would be of great use too
Master box figures have great detail even down to sound smoking cigarettes, great facial expressions too
Just a suggestion
I've enclosed some pics to help
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

J

Jimd0586

Thanks guys! While I'd like to depict the Allies winning in my Diorama, I may show a burnt out Sherman. We'll see. Honestly, all your suggestions have been great!