Which was really better, The Mosquito or the Me 410?

selrach

SMF Supporter
Due to it's legendary service, it would seem the Dehavilland Mossie hands down was the best. Recently I looked into the performance details of both planes and the was 410B had powerful engines and comparable speed. Both aircraft are similar in shape with protruding engines set close to the fuselage for better maneuverability. The Mossie, constructed of wood as it was, made it more stealthy. The Brit also had better, more compact radar. Was this then the major advantage? Or was it how the planes were used? If the RAF and Germans had swapped planes, would the RAF still dominate just because they used their resources more cleverly?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Selrach well I never heard of a ME 410 could you put up A PIC OF ONE please
chris SORRY GUYS DINT NOTICE THE DATE OF THIS THREAD

First Name
Gary
I agree. Its a bit of a copy with the cockpit so forward. Copying the Blenheim or the Beaufighter.

But regarding answering old posts as a new thing. We could always answer the thread before that one in the new thread. Just like

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The 410 was Messerschmidt making the best of the total failure that was the 210......which was supposed to replace the 110.....

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Some of the Germans late war aircraft were fantastic designs. Such as the Fw190 D9/11/13 and the Me262. If they had been introduced earlier (when they were actually developed) instead of the bureaucracy limited introduction timescale, then the air war could have been seriously damaged and delayed.

The Me410 was a decent design and as was mentioned above, was introduced as a replacement for the Me210 (which had a stability design fault). The rearward facing guns was a bit of a gimmick and added a lot of weight to the structure. If these had been removed then the Me410 performance figures would have looked a lot better. It was also a very good heavy attack fighter against bombers. But when the superior allied air supremacy came to it's domination, they were shot down in droves (bit like the Me110 G2 and Fw190 A8/R2 or R8).

All in all the mossie was a better aircraft resource wise and could carry a far better bomb load and external stores load.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The 410 was Messerschmidt making the best of the total failure that was the 210......
Total failure in the Luftwaffe, anyway. The Hungarians apparently liked them much better than the Germans did, so that makes me wonder what they did that the Germans didn’t. Could be a case similar to the F4U Corsair, which the Americans considered too dangerous to operate off aircraft carriers while the British happily (? :smiling3:) did just that.

Since nobody posted a picture of an Me 410 for @boatman, here’s one:

Me410-B6-3.jpg (via Rod’s Warbirds)

And in case you’re wondering how it differs from an Me 210:

Me_210_and_410_Wing_Planform_Comparison.jpg (Wikipedia)

I think this could start a new trend. Answering posts that ended years ago :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
The name for this phenomenon is “thread necromancy”.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
wasn't the 410 Germany's attempt to make their own Moskito?
It was not only unpopular but not half as versatile as the real Mosquito which was not only a beauty to behold but a true multi role aircraft.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I for one don’t find the Mosquito a particularly attractive (or unattractive) aircraft, and would probably pick the Me 210/410 over it in a “prettiest aircraft” vote (and put both of them after plenty of others). I’m sure a lot of people will disagree, though.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The real answer to the Mosquito from the Luftwaffe was the Focke-Wulf Ta-154, it also had wooden construction, but was not brilliant - due to Allied bombing, the original glue factory was destroyed, and the substitute wasn't good enough, causing mid-air failures. ( as with the He-162 ) - hardly conducive to pilot confidence!
ta 154.jpg
It was also named 'Moskito'.................................
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Beat me to it Dave ;) It‘s adoption was also hamstrung by the usual German infighting over designs.....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Jakko cheers for postin that pic as ive never heard of this plane or come to that the ME 210 a pic of that please an must say I do disagree with you on the mossie but just my opion an Could be a case similar to the F4U Corsair, which the Americans considered too dangerous to operate off aircraft carriers while the British happily (? did just that an was it winkle brown who landed a corsair on a carrier for the first time ?
chris