Who is using what to varnish which

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It would seem that the never ending supply of varnishes I have, or rather had, has come to an end!!
Thought that I had plenty, but discovered that three of the bottles I have are airbrush cleaner and thinners!
So I would like to ask, due to the sudden flood of new products on the market, who uses what to varnish which paints and washes....I have upto now used Vallejo Acrylic varnishes and been quite pleased with them but it seems that they are getting harder to find in the larger bottles and their polyurethane are taking over. I have some of those and I always have 'issues' spraying them....
I paint with both enamels and acrylics, also the odd splattering of Alclad metals, so I am looking for something that can do all types and in gloss, matt and satin finishes.
So only the products you have used and are happy about, or not. I dont want to hear about all the "he said they said this one is good", just the stuff that YOU have used.
I have much more faith in a recommendation from a friend than from an advert.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I use a matt spray in a can-crystal clear-they do matt/satin and gloss. One issue is that if you catch the model before it dries you will take the paint off-once dry it seals and the model can be handled, I use on enamels, acrylic and rattle-cans and all seem to cover fine. I use this as I was fed up with using small bottles and the costs.
587002_R_Z001

First Name
Dave
I have had a lot of trouble with Matt varnishes in the past.Then I tried Alclad Matt clear a couple of years ago and it's really good. I won't use anything else now.I also use Alclad gloss clear as well,although I think it's called Honey cote now.I spray both over Enamel paint finishes.

R

Rik101

I recently got ammo by mig satin and matt acrylic varnishes and really like the finish I get with them. The bottles are quite small but the tiniest drop goes a long way.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
For matt I use AKI Matt and Ultra Matt varnishes. they go down a treat.
For gloss I am using Alclad Acqua Gloss

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ian, I use cheap matt, satin and gloss varnish - a big tin of either is less than a fiver. All thinned with turps substitute. Works on everything and lasts years and years.

........but there again, I brush paint, so it's all very easy and straight forward.....:p!

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I use the standard Gunze Mr Hobby paint's range acqueous matte paint for my luftwaffe aircraft and I also use their gloss for the decalling process. Never gone wrong with them. When I used enamels, I used Humbrols satin varnish. Good stuff if you use enamels. I am about to start to convert to the Mr Color lacquers though.
I don't like mixing sprayed down enamel paint with sprayed down acqueous varnish or vice versa. It creates a chemical reaction which wrecks your work. I had it happen to me on a large 1/32 Bf 110.
John

A

Aurora

For Gloss, I use Gunze acyrlic Gloss. it is better than tamiya
For Matt, I use Microscale Micro Flat, dries extreamly fast very easy to apply.

J

John Rixon

AK interactive Ultra Matt (acrylic) Mig Matt and silk (acrylic) and Testors Dullcote Lacquer (nasty smelling, poisonous and [according to the State of California] carcinogenic - but it's proper matt!!!). All 3 brush beautifully, and the AK & Mig ones airbrush well too!

F

Fenlander

Future/Klear for gloss Testors Dull Coat for matt. Personally had nothing but trouble with acrylic varnish. Found Mig Satin to work for a while but half way down the little bottle and it is becoming patchy, some parts gloss with others nearly mat. Yes, I do shake it very well;) I cannot get anywhere near Vallejo varnish without major issues but that goes for most Vallejo paint using an airbrush for me.

Suppose it all boils down to trying them out and finding what works for you as there appears to be no consistency from product to product and user to user.

P

Polux

I usually recreate many weathering on my models, you know, and the best one that I've been working by the moment is the Ammo (Matt). Perfect finish and I haven't any problem with a 0,2 nozzle (airbrush).

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Future/Klear for gloss Testors Dull Coat for matt. Personally had nothing but trouble with acrylic varnish.
Isn't Klear (whatever it's called this week) an acrylic varnish?

F

Fenlander

Isn't Klear (whatever it's called this week) an acrylic varnish?

I suppose it is but I meant the acrylic paint companies varnishes such as Vallejo etc. I have had a bottle of Klear for years and I know I can just chuck some in the airbrush and use it with predictable results. No shaking until your arm drops off, no worrying if it will be foggy or if it will be Matt this week and gloss next week. No brainier for me. That doesn't mean that others will suffer with Vallejo like I have, many appear to get on with it OK, I just don't.

First Name
Jason
I use Tamiya flat clear XF-86 with tamiya x20a thinner for a matt finish and Tamiya clear X-22 with Mr Levelling Thinner for gloss. Both 50/50 ratio, sprayed through my H&S evolution with a 0.4 needle at about 20 psi. These are my go-to's, I have tried others but I have ended up with inconsistent results.
If you thin Tamiya flat clear with MLT it dries to a satin finish.

Jason

First Name
Alex
I'm fairly new to scale modelling but, I use Humbrol clear gloss and Humbrol Matt Cote. The gloss works very well straight out of the bottle and the Matt Cote, well you really have to stir it thoroughly for a good 2-3 minutes. The end result is good and I find I don't get any clouding effect as long as I prepare it properly by stirring it. Both of those products are readily available in hobby shops and are applied by a brush. I know you can also use them in an airbrush. I mainly us these because they are easy to pick up at my local store. There are probably better ones out there and as someone else mentioned you could probably use household varnishes with a bit of thinner but i would recommend getting something that is more tailored for what we do.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I use klear to seal the paintjob and give a shiny surface for decalling then if its a shiny finish i want then its either more klear or windsor and newton galeria gloss . If its a matt finish then i use windsor and newton galeria matt. After seeing jasons (wendall) post though im going to try the new tamiya flat too , as ive always had consistent results spraying tamiya paints, cheers tony

H

Harvest Fields

Hi guys, im looking at getting some Pledge for gloss coating over my base coat before applying decals then top coat etc for weathering. Big question is WHERE do i but it from. I have been all over my town to the supermarkets etc and to no avail. Any clues?

Carl

P

PWick

All my painting except for minute stuff is rattle can. I use a few different makes, Humbrol Acrylic Varnish, Plasti-Kote Clear (which I prefer on enamel colours) and a large can, Plasti-kote Krystal Clear for any paint type. All work very well as long as they are either heated in a hot water bath, stood up in an empty ice cream tub for better atomising, and then shaken for the time prescribed on the tin. And also sprayed at the distance also advised on the tin, sometimes one coat suffices or two coats or more to get the right effect for the model.

D

dubster72

Hi guys, im looking at getting some Pledge for gloss coating over my base coat before applying decals then top coat etc for weathering. Big question is WHERE do i but it from. I have been all over my town to the supermarkets etc and to no avail. Any clues?

Carl

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/pledge-multi-surface-wax-750ml

https://groceries.asda.com/product/...0218295?icid=noms_mtrolley-2_150910-Standard&

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/pledge-multi-surface-wax-750ml

There's a few options Carl. This product undergoes regular packaging changes as it's a household product, rather than a modelling one.

HTH

B

Builder

For gloss coating, sealing decals and paint work I use Pledge Floor Care - I bought this off ebay from a US supplier, it is costly but it is well worth it.

74C07B71-DAD6-4A05-A83E-331132725B3F_zpscsuao72y.jpg

For Matte coat, I use Alclad II Flat coat

2017-02-12%2002.47.30_zpsy7jxn6cj.jpg

For a Semi Matte / Sheen look I use

20170212_011356_RichtoneHDR_zps4gcezevw.jpg