WHOA! this is UGLY! Fieseler fi 167 1/72 scale

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Q. what do you get if you cross a stuka with a swordfish? A. probably something like this!! Hi all ,here is my latest , the pavla kit of the fieseler fi 167 in 1/72 scale. I got this off e- bay for about £6, i just had to have it cause its long been a weird looking fave of mine. The aircraft was designed to be used on the never to be completed german ww2 aircraft carrier, the Graf Zeppelin. It turned out to be perfect for the task intended (ie torpedo bomber ,anti shipping roles) but as the ship never got finished ,the dozen aircraft produced were relegated to training roles and a brief deployment to holland on naval patrol duties. In 1943 nine of the aircraft were sold to the croation airforce, who used them against the allies until the end of the war.Ok history lesson over,(wake up at the back,spanner!) what about the kit? The kit is a limited run multi media affair, being plastic with an etched fret and a vacform canopy (EEK!)It went together ok after a bit of fettling,i even managed to get the wafer thin canopy on ok. This was my first (apart from one other use of etched seat harnesses on the beaufighter) use of an etched fret for things like the instrument panel, torpedo fins,gunsight etc and they really add to it.I did the rigging using an untried method of using the fibre optic strands from the UFO lamp (see unconventional materials thread) and it was quite easy and didnt turn out too bad. The biggest problem with the build was at the final stages,when it was getting very difficult to pick it up without breaking something,its VERY fiddly!!!.Anyhoo, have a gander ,any comments welcome . cheers tony

View attachment 24175

View attachment 24176

View attachment 24177

View attachment 24178

View attachment 24179

P1060676 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060677 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060675 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060678 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1060674 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, Oh, sorry Tony, I see now what you meant when you posted on my Stuka thread saying you had an aircraft more ugly than that...

You was not wrong man! Ugly it might be but what a cracking job you have done on the build and paintwork. Good to have a bit of history too.

Top drawer stuff, bro'

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Ugly or not, that's a smasher!

Gern

M

msm2

More I look at it,the more I like it. Starts search for one. Excellent job Tony.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so they say. Very nice Tony, and it's nice to is something unusual too. 5 stars matey, i like it.

Have fun, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers chaps, glad it tickled your collective fancy's !! and thanks for the stars john. Ive got a few more uglies in the stash too, stay tuned for the amiot 143 and the aero mb 200!! cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Gotta second John (Centurion) on this. I'm not knocking the standard kits (Me 109, Spitfire, F 14, Tiger, Sherman etc) and I'll no doubt be building my share of them, but it is always nice to see something a bit out of the ordinary.

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Yeah, i like something a bit weird and ugly, So said my wife on our wedding day!!! Dave, remember that green thing i got at the cosford show,the one that looked like a tin shed with wings, cant wait to get that one done!! cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Savvi Spaghetti or summat like that wern't it?

I remember us all goading you into getting it 'cos the bloke was shouting "Closing the stall soon, everything half price on the floor!"

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good case of the ugly duckling. I dont know if I would go so far as to say its down right ugly though. Different; yes.

Very well built kit though. Nice one Ron.

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Yeah, i like something a bit weird and ugly, So said my wife on our wedding day!!!
Good job it wasn't you that said that! There certainly wouldn't have been a wedding!

I'd forgotten that 'green thing'. When are you going to treat us with that one?

Gern

R

Richy C

I honestly like it , 1/72 scale as well , cracking build Tony

Richy

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
quote "I'd forgotten that 'green thing'. When are you going to treat us with that one?"

Hi dave, the green thing (aero mb 200) is lurking in the stash, but it keeps calling me, a bit like the game in jumanji! Youll be glad to hear ive got an ugly sister for it too in the shape of an amiot 143, another green shed, i fear it wont be too long before i cant resist anymore and have to build them and let them loose on an unsuspecting modelling public!!!! Thanks richy,ian for the nice comments , cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
cheers graham , me too , if its unusual ,ugly or just downright unloved ,i cant resist it! I said i wasnt going to build another biplane too ,what with the rigging, but i had to do this one, oh well never say never eh? cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
She is blessed with 'special' looks ! (I was in a museum yesterday looking at a Spitfire XVI, talk about chalk and cheese) but it doesn't take anything away from the quality of the model you have produced here. It's great, and bi-planes always add that extra element of difficulty ( says me who has only built one) Well done Tony.

Regards

Colin m

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I actually quite like it's looks! Great build Tony on an aircraft I've never heard of, let alone seen, so a bit of a history lesson too.

Excellent

Paul