Why do certain paints leave a streak...?

F

flyerscales

I'm curious as to why certain colors will streak with each brush stroke, and others will not? For example. I am working on a P38 and the cockpit floor comes out of the package black. I wanted to paint the floor with a green color to replicate its past, however, the paint streaks. Now, every time I have used an Aluminum color, it goes on perfect. Streak free! Is there something I am missing? I have just purchased the kit yesterday, and I have washed the pieces down with warm water and some dish detergent. That's as far as I have got. I appreciate your advice. Also, I am a complete beginner with modeling. My goal is to produce realistic authentications of vintage and modern aircraft. I have a lot to learn still. Thanks again! I appreciate it.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi and welcome to the forum, did you stir the paint thoroughly? i dont want to sound patronising but it could just be that, if you did then maybe its just the type of paint youre using.Let us know what it is and well be able to better adviseon what to do, for example some paints (ie tamiya acrylics ) are very difficult to brush,being more suited to airbrushing, but others such as humbrol enamels , the vallejo range or even the games workshop acrylics are fine for brushing. Sometimes it also helps to put a thin coat of primer on first ,as even after washing the parts some plastics are still very shiny/ slippery and cause problems with paint adhesion. Anything youre not sure about dont hesitate to ask ,theres a wealth of knowledge on here and always someone to offer advice, its the friendliest site around ! hope this helps , cheers tony

F

flyerscales

Thank you! I am using Testors Enamels currently. I do not own an airbrush, so at the moment, it is strictly brushing. I have shaken the tiny canister, but had not stirred it. That could be one of the reasons. Also, I did not use a primer. I am about to run to the store to pick up a primer, and a few other tools that I have seen being used. I will try these two techniques and get back to you. Thanks for the help, and the welcome! I am usually full of questions, so you should start seeing my name pop up quite frequently. Thanks again!

F

Fenlander

As mentioned in another thread, the use of a primer is a must for some and never for others. Have to say, I like to use a primer as it serves two purposes. One, it helps the paint that you brush on bond and two, it shows up any imperfections that you may want to attend to before painting.

Although most agree that a primer is a must for Acrylics, I would personally still use one for any paint. Once primed, you can gradually build up layers of thinned paint with good coverage rather than one thick layer. All tips I have picked up from reading the wealth of advice on this forum.

This is a great place to learn, let s know how you get on :smiling:

D

dubster72

I would add that as Tony said, stirring is vitally important to mix the pigments in order for them to perform at their best. Stir, stir & then stir it some more! Best of luck, Patrick

F

flyerscales

Thanks all! I got it to apply nicely now. The cockpit is almost done. I did my own thing color wise because the instructions didn't seem authentic enough. I will try to post a pic or two soon when its glued and complete.