Wildcat / Martlet Picture help

1275GT

Hi all, I'm having a go at tarting up the old Airfix Wildcat kit, and am just wondering if anyone has any good pic's or diagrams of the undercarriage assembly and wheelbay at all - the kit is rather basic in the extreme !!!

Failing that, can anybody recommend a good reference book - I'm looking at the Osprey Modeling the Wildcat, does anyone know if it's any good.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Neil

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
These may help,from the Kagero publication "Grumman F4F Wildcat"

I'm not that familiar with US types but it looks like a very complicated system to me!

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

Not actual pictures but a build of one in great detail showing the rather odd undercarriage legs as a unit before mounting in the fuselage, may be of some use as the pictures are quite clear. ARC Air Discussion Forums > Eastern Aircraft FM-1 Wildcat. Hasegawa 1/72

Also a revies showing the sprue shots, click to enlarge, one of which shows the undercarriage legs quite nicely AeroScale :: In-Box Review: Grumman F4F-3 Wildcat (Early) by Rowan Baylis

Some good pics in this build two, quite a few pages to look at

and this one Swanny's Models - Trumpeter 1:32 scale F4F-4 Wildcat

However, Steve beat me to it with much better pics lol

1275GT

Gents, that's amazing, thanks very much! I'm not sure how much of that I'm going to get done, complicated isn't the word- it's only 1/72 and I'm going blind already !!

I may have to reign myself in a bit, it's my first one back after quite a while and I was just using this to get back of the swing of things, I think I may be getting carried away.

I've got the cockpit tub done, so I guess I ought to start a construction thread - it'll give you something to giggle at!!

Perhaps I may need a little artistic license.......or just not pick it up !!

Thanks again.

Cheers, Neil

F

Fenlander

Nothing wrong with a little artistic license (I use lots of it to be honest). At 1:72, you have to be realistic as to what would be seen on the real thing at a scale distance. This is a very complex undercarriage so go with how you feel, if you bite off more than you can chew you will only get frustrated and fall out with the kit and the build. Chill and just see how it pans out.

1275GT

Thanks for the advice, Graham......... I keep a stock of Bourbon on hand for that very reason....seems to do the trick!! I think it's my eyesight I'll need to worry about.......

Cheers, Neil