Windscreen markings

L

Laurie

View attachment 84165

Merlin helicopter, 1/48 has markings on the screen ie white lines.
Would like to at least try purring on at least the main lines.

Any body that has a good idea on how to achieve this will be the first to see my results ! Or if not good not.

In anticipation thanks.

Laurie

EH101_Merlin_HC3-10340.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A line that small is going to be hair thin on the model... The obvious is mask and paint but that is not going to be easy as it will need to be so thin.

I could be tempted to say a scribed line then a wash like run of paint....Bit risky though.

If you have some white decal film, that could work... :confused:

Ian M

First Name
Jason
I've used the technique Ian mentions on a 1/24 windscreen. A brand new blade and a very steady hand is what's required. I found it didn't need a wash as the engraved line was pretty convincing. It is a risky one though.

Good luck

L

Laurie

Thanks to both of you.

Perhaps not so risky as it may seem Jason.

Due to some of the windows being poor I eventually got 9 full sprues of the transparent pieces sent to me by Airfix. So will have a go but agree that it looks difficult but if achievable it should look good.

Laurie

D

Deleted member 3568

You sir are a determined man, and a brave one.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Well, if you have 9 spares then go for it Laurie. In 1/72 that would hardly be noticeable though, much like the MDC on fighter canopies. BTW those white lines are windshield heating elements, which are usually set inside laminated glass.

L

Laurie

Thanks Joe. Had wondered what they are. Not my usual trait to let things pass with out the "what are they for".

Mine will not be set in laminated.

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
1/72 lamination would be an ultimate build Laurie :cool:

B

Bunkerbarge

You can actually get adhesive stripes for RC model aircraft in varying widths, some of which are pretty thin but still probably too wide for this. I would also suggest cutting up old white transfers into very thin strips but whether you can get down to the right width again is questionable. Maybe the scribing idea will work. Worth a try.

L

Laurie

Thanks Richard.

Think I will have a ponder on each recommendation and experiment.

Laurie

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
How about a hair laid into a coat of varnish while it's still wet?

Gern

L

Laurie

Thanks Dave. i will see if my white ones are long enough ! Another one to try out.

Laurie