Wings of the red star-- 1/72 Tupolev ANT 25

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres something I picked up at the Newark expo show, and its something Ive been wanting for a while!Its a 1930's Soviet record breaking machine, made for long distance over polar flights Imagine my delight when I found this in a bargain bin for £3 . It hasnt got a box or instructions but is complete and has decals. I dont know the maker but its a bit of a flash fest (understatement ?!!) There are moulding seams and huge ejector pin marks all over but its just the sort of thing i love to get my teeth into. Luckily I should be able to guess the construction sequence as there arent that many interior parts and ive found some great walkarounds of the surviving museum example ( there were only 2 made ) for the details and colour scheme. Heres the sprue shots and a three view of what its supposed to look like - WARNING , the following images may cause distress. cheers tony

View attachment 74405

View attachment 74406

View attachment 74407

View attachment 74408

View attachment 74409

View attachment 74410

P1120001 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1120056 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1120058 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1120059 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1120061 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

ant25threeview1.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the warning, mucker!

Good job I was enjoying a can of Boddies when I first looked at them photos......That's some clean up operation you have there good buddy, but you'll crack it, now't so certain....

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Dum Dum Dum Dum Dum Dum Dum Dum Dum FLASH Ahh Ahh ( pay back ) :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:
lol..beat me to it...i was going to say the last time i saw that much flash, queen were on the soundtrack

C

CDW

I agree with Neil, could be airfix..... Not necessarily from days gone by either :smiling: :smiling: :smiling: :smiling:

Looks like a bit of work to do but I'm sure you'll bash it into shape Tony!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well i started today , probably the biggest clean up job since the Exxon Valdez !!! (google it young uns!) I managed to stab myself in the finger 3 times , cleaning up ejector pin stubs ,some of which were 2mm proud and had to be sawn off with the razor saw!! In fact ive never used a razor saw as often , most of the parts needing to be sawn off the sprue.All the mating faces need sanding flat and most parts need fettling to get rid of flash/mould seams. The pic of the 2 rudder halves shows how much needs to be done to most parts before theyre even ready to glue together! Ive cleaned up and glued both wings , nearly running out of strong clamps. The left half of the fuselage had the openings for the prop and chin radiator totally flashed over about 1.5mm thick , the right half being not bad. I'm up to my knees in lurid blue plastic dust but I'm really enjoying it , weird or what!!

View attachment 74453

View attachment 74454

View attachment 74456

View attachment 74458

P1120074 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1120075 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1120079 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1120080 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

First Name
Dave
Great stuff Tony.I was wondering when you were going to start this one.Ive nearly finished the Sea Fury I bought at the same show.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Jeez, after cleaning up it is surprising that there is any model left.

Interesting build and should look superb when finished. Keep at it and enjoying the build.

Si:smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Have a look at this video , although not totally accurate regarding the design (it wasnt designed by Tupolev , actually it was Pavel Sukhoi's team under Tupolevs supervision) . The end bit is hilarious though - Tupolev strapping a propellor and engine to a sofa on skis , mad as a box of frogs!!!

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
I've seen a copy of it made by Tupolev in 1989 in Monino museum - I have a photo or two of it, if you are interested?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks Seb ive got this one too , i think its one of the originals in the Valery Chkalov museum http://walkarounds.airforce.ru/avia/rus/tupolev/ant-25/index.htm

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Sand , sand, sand, trim, sand, sand ,trim....etc You get the idea ! Everything is having to be fettled in a big way , before and after gluing.The port wing joint had a 1.5 mm overlap at the front edge which I ended up taking off with a woodworking plane - I kid you not!!!! (Record No. 077A bullnose rabbet plane for anyone whos curious!) Despite all this butchery i'm really getting into it and cant wait to get back in the shed. The cockpit interior is nearly ready ,just a few bits to add to the sidewalls and a seat at the back navigators position which will be coming from the spares box. Compare the pics of the 2 rudder halves from before to the completed rudder now , a bit of difference!! Next job seat belts then gluing up the fuse, heres the pics , cheers tony

View attachment 74619

View attachment 74620

View attachment 74621

View attachment 74622

View attachment 74623

View attachment 74624

View attachment 74625

View attachment 74626

View attachment 74627

DSCN0037 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0039 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0040 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0041 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0042 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0043 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1120075 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0046 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0044 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nicely chopped Tony. Flash central in that kit by the looks of it, makes some of those older Airfix ones look high tech :smiling3: Nice cockpit too.