Wings of the red star-- 1/72 Tupolev ANT 25

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Remind me to stock up on 80 grit if I find one of these !!! Nice work, though Tony :smiling3:
Yes 80 grit neil , and an angle grinder , electric planer , oh and dont forget a dust pan and brush for ALL the shavings !!!! :D tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Yes 80 grit neil , and an angle grinder , electric planer , oh and dont forget a dust pan and brush for ALL the shavings !!!! :D tony
Don't want them blowing across the Pennines and upsetting other modellers do we!

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good stuff Tony. I gather that kit was the one and only offering of a firm called IKAR......whoever they were. I've also seen a boxing by Eastern Express....whoever they were going for, wait for it, £17.99 :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Good stuff Tony. I gather that kit was the one and only offering of a firm called IKAR......whoever they were. I've also seen a boxing by Eastern Express....whoever they were going for, wait for it, £17.99 :smiling3: Cheers

Steve
Ive seen a build review of the eastern express kit steve and its different to mine. That one has a one piece lower wing and no interior , mine has 2 piece wings and a basic cockpit. Its definitely an eastern bloc kit , you can just tell, I once did a Polikarpov i -16 that was another bargain bucket mystery ,and that was a lurid shade of green so i think the soviet kitmakers had a thing about bright colours!! I would have paid £17.99 for a kit of this , as its something I was after, although i wouldnt have been very chuffed when i saw what was in the box!!! cheers tony

C

CDW

Have you not finished this yet Tony?

What ya faffin' aboot at, it's not as if it needs much doing to it:smiling: :smiling: :smiling: :smiling:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Latest progress on the blue beast,The wings, canopies have been fixed and the first round of filling has begun! The wingspan is quite large as can be seen in the pic on the A3 cutting mat . The front canopy was a bit of a job , needing quite a bit of fettling and filler. The top section has been left unfilled as this was a 2 piece hinged clamshell affair , hinged above the side window , with the join between them on the centreline which i'll scribe on later.After sanding the wing fillets ive given them a quick brush with grey paint to help show up any bits that need further attention (which they undoubtedly will!!) Ive cleaned up the exhausts and drilled out the front and replaced the pipe at the back with brass tubing , these will go on last. heres some pics , cheers tony

View attachment 75152

View attachment 75153

View attachment 75154

View attachment 75155

View attachment 75156

View attachment 75157

View attachment 75158

View attachment 75159

View attachment 75160

View attachment 75161

View attachment 75162

DSCN0057 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0058 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0059 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0072 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0073 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0076 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0078 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0079 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0080 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0081 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0082 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work on the filling Tony. A real beast of a wing! Like that exhaust too, nice job. The adventure continues :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Tony, I thought I'd help you out a little with all the sanding you'll need to do on this.

Here's the number for the B&Q on Queen's Rd Sheffield - it'll save you a journey if they haven't got any sanding discs!

01142 780303

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Tony, I thought I'd help you out a little with all the sanding you'll need to do on this.Here's the number for the B&Q on Queen's Rd Sheffield - it'll save you a journey if they haven't got any sanding discs!

01142 780303

Gern
I'm actually running out of filler dave, do you think humbrol would deliver me a cubic metre or two ?!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well your B&Q could certainly get that much compo for you. You might even be able to hire a mixer from them. Gotta be cheaper than Humbrol.

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good luck with that Tony! It's looking good though.

Also, finally someone whose cutting mat is in MUCH worse shape than mine :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
I feel you, mate. Done enough ex soviet short runs to know how you start attaching bits and pieces together and nothing fits... But you're already on the winning side of things with this beast apparently!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The blue beast is no more! Its been primed and is now a white swan! There wasnt too much at all to sort out just a few smears of vallejo round the canopies and a few tiny lumps and bumps to flat down. Ive masked off the nose , wings and tailplanes and sprayed the silver on the fuselage. The surviving example in the Museum is white but this has clearly been repainted (with a yard brush too by the looks of it!) , the only period colour photograph shows a semi matt silver so thats what ive gone with. The silver is a car aerosol which I decanted and thinned with cellulose thinners -Alclad style- before misting on over the white primer . Next job mask off all the silver and get the red aerosol out for the wings and tail!

View attachment 75378

View attachment 75379

View attachment 75380

View attachment 75381

DSCN0132 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0129 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0130 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

DSCN0131 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter