Winter Cammo Wash

R

roconnell

Hi all

I'm currently building my latest project of the Airfix 1:72 Focke Wulf 189 and I am wanting to depict this in a winter scene. (I started this a day or so before the 1st October just before I realised this could have been part of the new GB had I realised would have waited and joined in...saying that I always take ages anyway so you would be well into 2013 by the time finish!)

As always I try to attempt a new technique to try and this time it will be a winter wash.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tutorial or technique to helping me achieve this?

In my box of tricks I do have all the promodeller pigments that have now been discontinued and amongst them is a white pigment which I was wondering if this could be used mixed with water and slapped on, allowed to dry and then selectively wiped away?

Thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rich

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hiya Rich,I can't comment on which technique to use but I can tell you that the winter camouflage,particularly from the first Eastern Front winter,weathered very heavily and quickly. I have some photos of Fw 189s in which most of the white coat has washed or worn off!

The Germans were not expecting to have to fight through that winter and there was no provision for special winter white aircraft laquers. By the second winter the Luftwaffe had proper white camouflage laquers and orders about how they should be applied.

Cheers

Steve