Winter camouflage

First Name
Jimbob
Not sure how to progress with a paint job I'm building a Sdkfz 251/2 which I'm painting in white what I don't know is do I paint it yellow first then white over the top of it as any winter camo I have seen has the base coat showing through just don't know where to begin with this any advice would be welcome.

C

chris2681

I normally don't do the original paint job before doing a winter whitewash. Normally I just darkwash the whole model and then drybrush the whitewash.

D

dubster72

Jim, winter camo was applied as necessary so it would always be done over the base coat.

If it was me, I'd paint the model in whatever scheme I wanted, apply the decals etc, gloss coat it, add pin washes, matt coat & then any whitewash.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
same as patrick but id use the hairspray technique for the whitewash

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yep, complete the model first. Being a brush painter, I use a No.2 flat headed brush for my white washing. I don't cover the whole model in white - more a streaky hit and miss kind'a thing.

N

noble

After the base coats are completed I apply humbrol maskol randomly all over the vehicle, I spray white on the vehicle then when its dry peel off the maskol for that chipped paint effect.

Scott

A

Awins

\ said:
Not sure how to progress with a paint job I'm building a Sdkfz 251/2 which I'm painting in white what I don't know is do I paint it yellow first then white over the top of it as any winter camo I have seen has the base coat showing through just don't know where to begin with this any advice would be welcome.
If you purchase a copy of the January Military Modeling magazine, there is a four page article on how to produce 'Simple Snow Camouflage'.

Its very basic but I think you would get some nice

effects.

Hope this is of help to you.

Cheers

First Name
Jimbob
Thanks guys I have been airbrushing properly for about 3yrs now so still working on what I can do would like to make my builds as good as I see on hear. Unfortunately I use a iPad so I can't post any images on hear. Thanks

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Thanks guys I have been airbrushing properly for about 3yrs now so still working on what I can do would like to make my builds as good as I see on hear. Unfortunately I use a iPad so I can't post any images on hear. Thanks
I post images to this forum from my iPad no problem. Tap "Upload file", "Browse", select the picture you want from your camera roll and wait for it to upload. Once you have uploaded the pictures you want then you can select whether to post them as thumbnails or full size.