winter weathering

N

noble

HI all Bunker has suggested that i write this tutorial with regards to the tiger 1 project i have completed. These techniques and paint mixes work well for me try them out and see. Here is a list of the basic equipment i use.

1x pair of AB 130 airbrushes

mini diaphragm compressor

Flat wide brushes in different sizes

Tamiya Acrylic paint Xf 60 dark yellow, Xf 52 flat earth XF 61 dark green XF 1 black Xf 2 white and camouflage german red brown.

Instant rust

Mig pigments Russian earth and Europe dust.

The first step after the kit is built spray the whole kit matt black i think that this allows you to create shadow without creating shadow( does that make sense) allow this to dry for 24 hrs.

Once dry mix a 50-50 mix of XF60 dark yellow and tamiya thinner, set the compressor to 20psi and spray lightly allowing some of the black undercoat to show through, now allow to dry for approx 4 hours.

Once the dark yellow is dry mix up a 50-50 mix of XF52 flat earth set the compressor to 15psi and lightly spray the running gera and the underside of the hull and allow 4 hours to dry. Once this is dry mix up a 50-50 mix of dark green XF 61 and tamiya thinners, set the compressor to 15psi and spray on your camouflage( i do all of mine by hand as i find it easier), leave this overnight to dry before beginning the next stage.

Once the dark green is dry now we apply the german camouflage red brown( sorry not sure of the XF number), mix a 50-50 mix paint to thinner set the compressor to 15psi and spray your red brown camouflage and leave to dry for 6hrs.

Once completely dry mix a 50-50 mix of XF2 matt white and thinner, set the compressor to 15psi, this gives me much more control over the brush. Start by building up the layers of white slowly and gradually until you acheive the desired effect. Don't worry if you overdo it slightly the next step will give the complete effect, leave 24 hrs to dry.

After 24hrs you need to mix up a mixture of 95% thinner 5% black paint until you get black water. Take wide flat brush dip it into the mix and apply to the entire kit, leave 4 hrs to ensure that it dry's completely. The mix will run into all the nooks and crannies providing depth. Now you need to mix up Revell matt black and Revell matt white in a 50-50 mix in a mixing jar with a lid, i use old tamiya paint jars. mix this completely to give a mid grey colour and set it aside. Now for the tracks i use instant rust compound which comes in two parts the first part you apply to the whole tracks is the grey compound, once you coat the tracks leave them for two hours to dry, after this time apply the second part of the compound which is the instant rust and leave for approx 4-6 hours.

After 24hrs you will see the faded white paint effect, after applying the tracks lightly spray them with a 50-50mix of flat earth and thinner. Now use the mid grey colour you mixed the day before to chip the kit paying attention to the edges and the areas where crewe will mount and dismount, tke your time with this less is more here and allow to dry. once the tracks are dry dry brush the running edges with gun metal and we are done. The mig pigments are dusted on and also mixed with small amount of thinner and brushed on around the tracks, running gear and armor skirt.

i hope this is useful scott.

Last edited:
N

noble

\ said:
sounds good scott,what about some pictures?
Unfortunately i did not take any whilst building the tiger but i will be starting a new project soon which will deffinately have a winter camouflage so as soon as it is done i will post the pictures for those who are interested.

scott

S

Satnav313

\ said:
Unfortunately i did not take any whilst building the tiger but i will be starting a new project soon which will deffinately have a winter camouflage so as soon as it is done i will post the pictures for those who are interested. scott
Great, Im looking forward to it.