Wire Mesh Fence?

135warrior

Hey again all, im working on a wire fence for a 1:35 scale diorama, and I want to create a very realistic looking fence. I've included a pic so you know what kind of fence im on about, but just wondered if anyone had any advice / tips etc. as to how I would go about this. At the moment I am trying to weave the fence with cotton to be spray fixed after, but its very fiddly and it dosnt seem to be working. Any advice is as always very welcom and appreciated.

Cheers, Billy

View attachment 19709

Fort 006.jpg

135warrior

You know, the more i think about this, the more I realise I should have named this thread 'knitting a fence' becaue that is now what I am going to attempt i think?!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
How big does your fence need to be? I've seen some small mesh bags used to wrap oranges, garlic etc. in supermarkets. These have a diamond shape mesh and may be OK but they're not particularly big.

Gern

N

noble

hi

\ said:
You know, the more i think about this, the more I realise I should have named this thread 'knitting a fence' becaue that is now what I am going to attempt i think?!
Hi warrior try using 3 amp fuse wire and wind it round each other to lock it in place, it is metal and i asume it will look like a fence when complete, hope this helps.

scott

135warrior

ahh cool, I think that might just work, the fence itself it not going to be that long, as its going to be only part of the fence which has been broken down from the posts. I'll let you know how that works out cheers, Billy

135warrior

\ said:
Hi warrior try using 3 amp fuse wire and wind it round each other to lock it in place, it is metal and i asume it will look like a fence when complete, hope this helps.scott
Yeah thats kinda what I had in mind, but im using very thin wire and it aint working, if the mesh bag idea dont work out, i will give it another try with the fuse wire you mentioned, cheers

B

bogstandard

If you look at the dimensions of a real chain link fence, the wire is most probably about 3mm in diameter. Knock that down to a scale of 1/35th and you should be looking at materials with a diameter of about 0.09mm (the average thickness of a human hair is 0.05mm).

You can buy coil winding copper wire at those sorts of diameters.

Bogs

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi billy ,i mentioned this in the unconventional materials thread in quick tips,but in case you havent seen it. Get yourself down to poundland, there you can get a pack of two spatter guards,you know the fine mesh used for putting over frying pans to stop the spitting .This mesh is perfect for a chain link fence just cut it to size with scissors,making sure the links are running at 45 degrees to the vertical ,If youre only doing a small section of fence there should be plenty,and whats left is useful for allsorts such as engine grilles etc. hope this helps cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Amen to that Tony, after reading your idea in 'unconventional' I went to poundland and wiped the store out!!!!!

Perfect scale for wire mesh. Also it works superbly for engine grills. Saves a fortune if you are using photo etched stuff for this job.

Ron

135warrior

awesome cheers tony, I tried the orange bag idea, but unfortunately the scale isnt quite right, spatter guard it is then, im off to poundland :smiling3:

D

daniel3

Thanks for the advice, that's really helpful as I was after the same thing.

Wire Mesh