Woodland Scenic Cement, any cheaper alternatives??? HELP!!!

S

Stefan290790

I've posted this in another part of the forum and only got one reply. It was very helpful but I'd like to get some other opinions too.

I need a Woodland Scenic Cement type glue for my grasses with a Matt finish. Their product is way to expensive and would love to know what else I can use to get the same result for cheap. This is for my terrain pieces (mainly for the static grass I apply) because not all of it sticks so I require a matt finish.

Thanks!!!!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Stefan,

I don't know about brand names down under, but your cheapest bet would probably be PVA. This is Polyvinyl Acetate and is used in the UK for all sorts of purposes. It's known as white glue, wood glue, school glue and all sorts of names. It's easy to use and can be thinned with water. While still wet, you can also use water to clean your brushes etc and a damp cloth will remove any residue that might squeeze out of a joint. Here in the UK you can get this stuff from most DIY and Arts & Crafts shops and it is really, really cheap if you don't insist on 'brand name' goods.

I don't know if the 3M company trades where you are, but they make a product called 'Spray Mount' here. This is a spray can (just like a paint spray) of a general adhesive which is used for posters, fixing photographs to card etc. I used it on my little dio recently and it worked a treat, although it is a bit expensive.

If you ask any of your local DIY/Hobby stores, they should be able to advise you what's available.

Hope this helps.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I agree with Dave, and for my part it's P.V.A. for almost everything dioramas.

Why buy relatively expensive so called 'Scenic Cement' when you can get litres of Pva for a fraction of the cost and it lasts for ever..

Also it dries clear so it should be ideal for your needs, Stef.

Cheers,

Ron

S

Stefan290790

Thank you!!

@spanner570, I agree! Why buy such an expensive product which turns out to be watered down PVA? You even have to pay around $10 AUS on top of the $30 for the spray bottle. So $30 for glue, $10 for spray = $40! WHAT A RIP!

Does any PVA glue dry clear (Matt) or do some dry with a shine to it?

S

Stefan290790

I have found some products today that I would like to show you and if it would be ok to use:

Glues » Glues » Spray Adhesive | Riot Art & Craft Art Supplies, Craft Supplies, Art Materials, Buy crafts online

and there was another one I saw that was an all purpose Adhesive for wood, glass, fabrics, photographs, etc etc.