WW II European aircraft project.

First Name
Adrian
I've set myself an impossible challange to build as many WW II European aircraft as I can in 1:48th,, since returning to modelling last year, so heres what few I have done so far.

Just finished a Hurricane as well and started a 262, in my stash I have about 10 more kits to keep me going for now.

R

roconnell

Hi Ade, some great builds, impressed you've knocked these out in the last year, lucky if I have made two!

Love the Thunderbolt by the way, don't remember seeing that the weekend so ensure you bring it to the open day so I can have a closer look...providing I'm along that is as baby due imminently :smiling3:

Rich

I

Ivor100

Hi Ade, is that P-47 Thunderbolt an Academy kit? As I have that one in stash to build next. How did the decals go (Academy decals can be problematic) - I have pre-varnished them for a fighting chance as have found they can break up in use. Was the kit good to build generally, i.e. fit together, etc. I've found Academy kits to be OK in the past, just the decals that seem to let them down - maybe I had older kits. Cheers, Ivor

PS I'm liking your build of the P47 and the Flying Fortress - nice clean, sharp, builds.

Last edited:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some real nice builds there Ade, but still a lot to go, looking forward to seeing the rest being built

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
Hi Ade, is that P-47 Thunderbolt an Academy kit? As I have that one in stash to build next. How did the decals go (Academy decals can be problematic) - I have pre-varnished them for a fighting chance as have found they can break up in use. Was the kit good to build generally, i.e. fit together, etc. I've found Academy kits to be OK in the past, just the decals that seem to let them down - maybe I had older kits. Cheers, IvorPS I'm liking your build of the P47 and the Flying Fortress - nice clean, sharp, builds.
Yeah its the Academy kit and to be honest it went together really nicely, the major issue I had was with the decals on the nose cowl, so I masked and painted them myself, I'm happy with the way they turned out. The rest of the decals went of with no issues at all. I was suprised as I expected a load of issues after paying just £7.99 in a sale for it I figured it must be horrible kit to do, but turned out nice again :smiling3:

I've tided up the Fortress since I took that pic, if you look close I over sprayed the guns and the grey to olive drab match up was out, I have the Revel Memphis Belle kit to do but it will have to wait.

@Rich, thanks for the kind words, I took the P-47D to last months meet along with the Fort, I'm not sure how the open day goes, can I just turn up and display my models with everyone else? Hope everything goes will with the birth as well :smiling3:

R

roconnell

\ said:
Yeah its the Academy kit and to be honest it went together really nicely, the major issue I had was with the decals on the nose cowl, so I masked and painted them myself, I'm happy with the way they turned out. The rest of the decals went of with no issues at all. I was suprised as I expected a load of issues after paying just £7.99 in a sale for it I figured it must be horrible kit to do, but turned out nice again :smiling3: I've tided up the Fortress since I took that pic, if you look close I over sprayed the guns and the grey to olive drab match up was out, I have the Revel Memphis Belle kit to do but it will have to wait.

@Rich, thanks for the kind words, I took the P-47D to last months meet along with the Fort, I'm not sure how the open day goes, can I just turn up and display my models with everyone else? Hope everything goes will with the birth as well :smiling3:
Hi Ade, yeah just take any along you wish to exhibit, I will be if I make it. Same applies on the annual club show. Its more or less the same when going to other club shows however you just have to tell committee if you want to take part to ensure enough tables are booked certainly wont stop anyone though which is what I like about the club.

Rich

First Name
Adrian
Well its been a while since I posted any thing on this thread but I havent been idle :smiling3:

So heres a couple more I have finished and also I finished a couple of builds please look them up in relevent areas, inc a finally finished Seafire and HMS Illustrious!

Just love the underneath of this Hurricane, something different :smiling3:

My Me262, other pics already posted

After loosong the original cannopy I finally finished another 109 as well,

Now working on my 1:48th Tamiya Lancaster, but will build something along side it as I go :smiling3:

Thanks Adrian

First Name
Dave
That's an impressive collection Ade.I build only WW2 stuff myself.

K

Keith9657

A nice collection, Ade. I love the stuka. Is that a Monogram B17?

Keith

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
A nice collection, Ade. I love the stuka. Is that a Monogram B17?Keith
I've recently redone to canopy on the Stuka and its much better , the original one shown has decals on the inside and no paint in areas there should have been. I'm going back and redoing bits here and there as I learn with all my builds.

Yeah the B-17 is the Monogram kit, I spent ages detailing the insides with everything I could research, only to find you can't see any of it, oh well I know it's there :smiling3:

K

Keith9657

I spent ages on a Monogram B17. It was my pride and joy but despite my best efforts it didnt survive the journey when I moved house. It completely discouraged me and I never build anything again for nearly 15 years. I'm trying to make up for lost time and I can understand your aircraft project. If only I had the room...

Keith

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A great collection. I'll look forward to seeing this develop in the future.

Colin M..

First Name
Adrian
Well my latest addition, I took a gamble and tried the £12 Hobbyboss kit and to be fair it was an nice straight forward OOB build, the only added touch is the aerial I'd seen a tip about using guitar strings and I think it does the job nicely.

Comments welcomed as always :smiling3:

Adrian

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That's a cracking P-40 Ade, and the guitar string aerials look great. You must have a huge display case for all those 1:48er's.

Tony.

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
That's a cracking P-40 Ade, and the guitar string aerials look great. You must have a huge display case for all those 1:48er's.Tony.
Sadly for now they get stored in plastic boxes in 6's, easy to take to shows at least, I'm told if I buy the £179 lit cabinets I can display them in the house, lol

First Name
Adrian
Meant to add, only the steel coil is guitar string the rest is Knitting-in elsatic from a knitting shop, its great to use very flexible. I think its like Ez Line from what I can gather.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I got some of that, 20p a metre from Boyes, that shop is a gold mine for modelling supplies.

Tony.